Diablo® III

Rolling a monk?.. Don't..

actually i like what the thread starter stated, im a monk and i want to feel belittled sometimes, cause when i actually do something in parties thats out of this world like smart shielding and using serenity for those OMG situations, it actually blows my friends minds clean of their shoulders how a monk was able to react and survive like that.
Edited by Belladonna#1775 on 5/23/2012 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bigjay is a level 39 monk, dont get all hot and bothered by his statements.
Reply Quote
As a 60 wiz sitting in hell with good gear, great items, and after experimenting with dozens of builds:

I'd rather be a monk.

Oh look at that a monk alt.

The grass is always greener bucko.
Reply Quote
These threads are unnecessary stop feeding the masses false information about a class. The class works fine, the class plays fine, this is an L2p issue.

Please go roll a Wizard or Demon Hunter like everyone else who cant seem to figure out how to play a melee class in this game. Makes all of us other monks out there look that much more epic when we roflstomp you tools.

No. You're wrong. Life on Hit isn't even working right.

Oh you're level 39 and your opinion is completely invalid.
Edited by Blame#1580 on 5/23/2012 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
<-- Level 60 DH mid way through act 2 inferno. 50k hp, 2.5k~ armor, mid 20k dps (without sharpshooter)
Monk can get regen, and trust me, monk does much better in inferno mode than a ranged class.
All mobs have so many affixes that there's no kiting them. Stand and deliver is honestly your best chance.
You, personally, need to learn how to manage your spirit better.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Moondoggie
Bigjay is a level 39 monk, dont get all hot and bothered by his statements.

Figures. Lets wait for him to hit 60 and try to solo inferno with this balance.

He'll be creating one of these threads.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Helm - 1 spirit / second
Weapon - 1 spirit / second
Mantra of Healing - 3 spirit / second
Chant of Resonance - 2 spirit / second
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: 8 spirit / second

With sweeping winds at max charges you can get an additional 3 spirit / second
Along with other various things that you have to spend spirit using to generate spirit...

So realistically it should take you 1-2 seconds to generate enough spirit to use a skill. Serenity and blinding flash both require 10 spirit. Dashing strike you can also get down to 10 seconds which can be used as a gap closer. So realistically, 2 of our defensive abilities (strongest one) take a second of running to use.

Edit: I by no means am saying that Monk in inferno isn't ridiculously hard. I was watching a dev video where he said that they made inferno so that they couldn't beat it. As far as development is concerned, this is excellent and I applaud them.

I hate to be this guy but the issue isn't the monk class. It is DH and Wizards owning everything that makes us feel like we should to (my neighbor just got a new boat syndrome). They should make the game harder for those classes and leave us be. They cant nerf kite mechanics or it hoses us too. They can however limit their defensive abilities and make it easier for these elites to eat them.

Awesome, now can I borrow 5mil so I can buy all those spirit regen items that have decent stats too?
Edited by Ramminar#1293 on 5/23/2012 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Alchemy
But wait now. His goal here wasn't to discuss the issues. He just brought them up to further his point which is that everyone should reroll another class. It's right there in the title. Where else did you see this topic going?

Yeah, it's fair to say his title was awful and inflammatory, but people are pissed off about the issues. Whether or not you agree with them being *rightfully* pissed off is the subject of heated debate, but I don't think the debate is bad to have, even if it's taking place in too many separate threads right now.

OP at least went to the trouble of spending more than a sentence explaining his position, which is far more than most...
Reply Quote
It's crazy that the game is only been out for a week and people are talking about end of end game...
I'm hoping to complete the inferno within a year or so or even longer maybe....
I'm a gamer but not like crazy pro-life-is-consumed-by-a game type of gamer...
and pretty sure most of us are like myself.
Just chill and enjoy the game... it's better for your health, too.
Reply Quote
Barbs are facing the same issue. They have to get into melee range to generate rage. But they actually have a leap that generates rage instead of costing it.
Reply Quote
I really do feel that the class has a problem. People that are talking about it being an issue with the ability of the people complaining are ignoring that something could legitimately be wrong on a fundamental level.

Here's my logic. Point to where it breaks down.

- Monks are a melee class.

- Melee classes are endangered more than any other class because they have to stand in melee range in order to attack.

- Monks have to attack to generate spirit.

- Monks have to use spirit to survive.

There's one missing element here and that is that the barbarian is not suffering from this issue as badly. I posit that it is because barbarians gain armor from their primary stat. Monks gain dodge through dexterity and dodge doesn't do anything to mitigate incoming damage. We can dodge the attack entirely (40% dodge is a realistic end-game number) but the majority of the time when the attack hits, it will take off most/all of your life.

To handle this situation, a Monk must then use an ability to help regenerate life. Those abilities have two problems:

1. They cost a lot of spirit. Spirit is only gained through continuing to attack. Continuing to attack a mob that is about to attack again while at low health in inferno difficulty is suicide.

2. The healing value isn't substantial enough to help recover in end game situations. (They just got nerfed, too)

The solutions vary from better spirit regeneration (passive OR active OR through changing items) to giving monks damage mitigation instead of dodge.

There does seem to exist some fundamental problem when the ways that a monk can heal are all dramatically too small, the costs too high, and the risks too great.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Adamreborn
Barbs are facing the same issue. They have to get into melee range to generate rage. But they actually have a leap that generates rage instead of costing it.

Barbarians also stack strength which increases their realistic tanking ability. Monks stack dexterity -- well, vitality until we can figure out how this is supposed to work which is assuming that the problem is not with the class itself -- and get dodge as a result.

Reduced damage taken is much better than chance to dodge.
Edited by mechler#1710 on 5/23/2012 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's my logic. Point to where it breaks down.

- Monks are a melee class.

- Melee classes are endangered more than any other class because they have to stand in melee range in order to attack.

- Monks have to attack to generate spirit.

- Monks have to use spirit to survive.

There's one missing element here and that is that the barbarian is not suffering from this issue as badly. I posit that it is because barbarians gain armor from their primary stat. Monks gain dodge through dexterity and dodge doesn't do anything to mitigate incoming damage. We can dodge the attack entirely (40% dodge is a realistic end-game number) but the majority of the time when the attack hits, it will take off most/all of your life.

To handle this situation, a Monk must then use an ability to help regenerate life. Those abilities have two problems:

1. They cost a lot of spirit. Spirit is only gained through continuing to attack. Continuing to attack a mob that is about to attack again while at low health in inferno difficulty is suicide.

2. The healing value isn't substantial enough to help recover in end game situations. (They just got nerfed, too)

+1
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Adamreborn
Roll a ranged class, kite around, farm items, have fun.
Edited by Tusal#1419 on 5/23/2012 12:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@mechler: Great post, but I wonder how you came up with this figure:

05/23/2012 12:12 PMPosted by mechler
40% dodge is a realistic end-game number

Maybe you're talking about unbuffed, but even then, I'm nearly that high already, and I would consider myself very poorly geared.
Reply Quote
But wait now. His goal here wasn't to discuss the issues. He just brought them up to further his point which is that everyone should reroll another class. It's right there in the title. Where else did you see this topic going?

Yeah, it's fair to say his title was awful and inflammatory, but people are pissed off about the issues. Whether or not you agree with them being *rightfully* pissed off is the subject of heated debate, but I don't think the debate is bad to have, even if it's taking place in too many separate threads right now.

OP at least went to the trouble of spending more than a sentence explaining his position, which is far more than most...

Fair enough. People are pissed. My issue lies wherein every single post is a different version of the same problem. Essentially, people are pissed because they don't want to spend too much time gearing up for inferno. Viable builds probably do exist. Personally, I haven't found it and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I have.

But people have to realize that this isn't meant to be rushed.

05/23/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Antharion
Awesome, now can I borrow 5mil so I can buy all those spirit regen items that have decent stats too?

You could farm and get the money yourself? It's gonna take a while, but it's part of the game.
Edited by FeatherNET#1917 on 5/23/2012 12:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
These threads are unnecessary stop feeding the masses false information about a class. The class works fine, the class plays fine, this is an L2p issue.

Please go roll a Wizard or Demon Hunter like everyone else who cant seem to figure out how to play a melee class in this game. Makes all of us other monks out there look that much more epic when we roflstomp you tools.

Please post a video of you being viable in act 3 of inferno.

Seconded.
Reply Quote
The game is just over a week old, and you clearly have no idea what you are doing. Stop with these bull!@#$ troll posts.
Reply Quote
Helm - 1 spirit / second
Mantra of Healing - 3 spirit / second
Chant of Resonance - 2 spirit / second
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: 8 spirit / second

With sweeping winds at max charges you can get an additional 3 spirit / second
Along with other various things that you have to spend spirit using to generate spirit...

Do a thing for me will you?

Go search the AH for decent items that have those stats without having to bargain from vitality, dex, sockets or resistances. Cause if a helmet (or any other item) gives you spirit regen, you will probably lose one of the other stats that we need in order to survive.

EDIT: forgot to mention, those kinds of items are extremely rare and hard to find. So farming them in hell difficulty would take ages.

And it's supposed to take ages. I don't think Blizzard intended for everyone to have the perfect gear setup within a week after the game out...
Reply Quote

a l2p issue? are you a !@#$ing troll?

please show me this dps monk spec that clears inferno content. please.

the truth of the matter is, when i rolled this class, i didnt think i would be forced to tank end game. what kind of %^-*ing monk uses a shield? like really?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]