Diablo® III

Rolling a monk?.. Don't..

85 Worgen Hunter
Is any monk out there doing anything other than running away while their Mystic Ally attacks and only swooping in to cast Blinding Flash or get in a few hits when they can cast Serenity? Is anyone using neither of those? What about Mantra of Healing? What the hell is going on here?

Dump your sweeping wind critical hit massive spirit regen healer build and think outside the box. Let me give you an example...granted you will still need tons of life and tons of damage regardless.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#agifhX!bYZ!ZYZYab

You can also swap around a lot of the runes here. Like sweeping winds...ever think to pick up the 10 second rune? 10 seconds = 80 spirit with regen items...just saying.

you realize he is talking about inferno... right?

terrible build is terrible, ESPECIALLY in inferno
Edited by FryChikN#1538 on 5/23/2012 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From what ive found about monks at lvl 52 is they are extremely versatile. There are alot of builds you can do and so many of them work and so many of them don't. He probably went some overly offensive build that sucks !@#.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Adamreborn
Monks regenerate spirit only by attacking enemies FROM MELEE RANGE, witch in inferno difficulty means that you will have to go and face enemies that will probably 1 shot you.
Or you could 1) get some resist gear, since you seem to have issues with elites; 2) have 1 or 2 spirit regen items; and 3) stop whining and re-examine your build.
Reply Quote
I am just loving the monk forums more and more. One half is saying that monks are trash and the other half is telling the first to go L2P.

Monks definitely have problems that need to be addressed. They are not so bad that one needs to re-roll. People most definitely have a right to complain when a this game was tested as much as it was and still monks have as many problems as they do.
Reply Quote
Dear anyone-who-is-acting-like-they-have-it-solved.

Share!

Are you 60? Are you on inferno content? Are you doing something other than kiting and blinding? Please tell us what you are doing! Nobody seems to be able to offer anything constructive.

Monk was very easy until level 58 or so which also happened to be when I got toward the end of act 3 and in to act 4 hell difficulty. I still managed to get through it.

Inferno has been a different animal. I don't want to skip elite packs half of the time (or at all, honestly) and I want to know if that is possible. Share what you are doing!
Reply Quote
This game was not designed to be a 2-shot insta-boss kill game where you can stand in a mob of the beastliest monsters and go afk... it's supposed to be a challenge and require you to use skill and thought. Kiting with a melee takes skill, it requires you to chose your punches, find soft spots, exploit bottlenecks in maps, etc. This right here is what BigJay is talking about L2P.

You are NOT supposed to kite with a monk... They put in enrage timers ensure you wouldn't
Reply Quote
It's funny how Monks that aren't even in Inferno yet come and try to explain how we are wrong.

Please stop talking.
Reply Quote
if only there was a passive that gave you spirit regen

or if monk weapons/helms could have a spirit regen mod on them

in a perfect world my monk would have +6 spirit regen always (not counting when i solo with a templer and he gives me more)

IF ONLY
Reply Quote
i just wished monks respawned with full spirit, instead of half. is that too much to ask? or will that sudden change break the game
Reply Quote
Inferno should be hard as nails, but there is something ball-crushingly wrong about forcing a monk to use a sword and board while simultaneously pretending they're a ranged class whenever the mandatory cooldowns aren't available.
Reply Quote
What you think monks do:

Insane amounts of damage with blazing attack speed.

Reality:

Monks use a sword and a shield and stack up stats that clearly are't meant for them.

It's funny how:

A. Demon Hunters
B. Wizards

Generate hatred/discipline and arcane power without having to do anything about it.
They don't have to go close to anything to get their power recharged.

Monks regenerate spirit only by attacking enemies FROM MELEE RANGE, witch in inferno difficulty means that you will have to go and face enemies that will probably 1 shot you.

Let me give you an example: you run away from elite creeps with 30% hp and 0 spirit.
You don't have enough spirit to pop your shield, nor your heal. What do you do?

A. turn around and hope you can land a few hits and dodge their attacks so you can pop your shield.
B. run (and probably die cause you will pull more creeps)
C. die

Now you are probably thinking: you idiot, monks do have items/spells that give spirit regen.
Of course they do. The problem about that is: 3 spirit/sec (HORRAY???) from a passive mantra? Oh please... Items? Yes, there are items with spirit regen. BUT they cost tons on AH and they usually cover some other stats that monks need more (such as vitality or dextirity)

Roll a ranged class, kite around, farm items, have fun.
Some "pro"-gamers find it fun to break the sigma that a class/level is impossible. The point of games is to have fun. When a person finds having a challenge fun, the game designers have succeeded.

Although the class 'MIGHT' use some tweaking to make it more playable for the common folk, it isn't a make or break point.

I find your rant about how you cannot conquer the monk class comical. Melee isn't for everyone. It seems you judged yourself wrong thinking it was for you.
Reply Quote
Or you could, you know, play the class you want to play regardless of the difficulty level. It isn't that hard a concept to grasp. Inferno was never meant to be something you finish in a few hours.

I just don't understand why people are complaining so much and contributing nothing more than tears and warnings of woe. What the !@#$ happened to just having fun with the game?

I'm halfway through Act 1 inferno, seen Act 2 (which ultimately destroyed my build). I didn't cry that monks were underpowered, I adapted. Currently farming to gain gold to buy better gear, and I'm working on different builds depending on different situations.

As far as what happened to having fun: WoW happened, that's what.
Reply Quote
It's funny how Monks that aren't even in Inferno yet come and try to explain how we are wrong.

Please stop talking.

We're saying you're wrong because you're playing the game wrong. If you have to whine endlessly about it you need to re-evaluate why you play. Does it suck? probably, will i !@#$% relentlessly when i get there? more then likely. Will i enjoy it, and find a way to beat it with a dps spec? Hell yeah. All i see here is a Q.Q with little to no thought process, and people who want to take it out on someone. I've been going through with an undergeared group with 4 people, with myself and my barb friend have taken care of everything and got our asses handed to us and still loved it. You know that might change in an act or two, but i highly doubt it as i have taken several characters into Hell difficulty on D2, and I plan to take several, including 2 monks, into Inferno difficulty on D3.

Look I'm not saying any of this is unwarranted. I'm just saying that we have the right to have our opinion to tell you that you are wrong to complain the way you are. I've played a Hardcore Assassin into Nightmare Act two hit the final boss and was unprepared. Some of this sounds like people were expecting Inferno to be a face roll. Personally I'm expecting it to be equivalent to Hell Difficulty in D2, starting out with -75 Res and everything you come across hits you like a truck.

My point is if you are going to make threads like this, please use them to Help the class and find solutions and maybe find a build that works. Because I know if i had a working build for Inferno I wouldn't share it here currently with the amount of people you all are tearing up. I'd share it with my close friends and that is it.
Reply Quote
Constantly spirit deprived now, no real way of getting good amounts of it in a small amount of time, once tapped it's gg for me....

My new trick is to simply run away, port back to town (use WPs or area entrances/exits), then go to earlier area, and then hit weaker mobs to get full spirit. That or simply die and get half a bubble. Dieing is faster I find, granted that enrages mobs if you fail too many times, lol.
Reply Quote
This class is kind of useless, even more now that they nerfed us.
Reply Quote
I'm currently 55 in Hell difficulty and I can relate to everyone why complains about the Monk.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aQgXYi!XVU!YcabbY

I'm using this build and and have around 2.5K damage, 20K Health, 10% Crit Chance, and 200+ all res (after Mantra).

I've found that I can kill most elite packs I've encountered (1/2 through Act 2 Hell) if I just kite until my Serenity/Blinding Flash are up. I then use Serenity and hit them until the buff wears off, then I Blinding Flash and kite some more. It takes upwards of 5 minutes on some packs, and I often wonder if I should just avoid all elite monsters all together to mitigate the time loss.

The thing is, while I can do it, it's not fun. It isn't fun to run in circles for 15 seconds just so I can do 3 seconds of damage. And I'm doing this in solo Hell, not Inferno. I can't see this getting any more fun in Inferno.
Reply Quote
I'm currently 55 in Hell difficulty and I can relate to everyone why complains about the Monk.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aQgXYi!XVU!YcabbY

I'm using this build and and have around 2.5K damage, 20K Health, 10% Crit Chance, and 200+ all res (after Mantra).

I've found that I can kill most elite packs I've encountered (1/2 through Act 2 Hell) if I just kite until my Serenity/Blinding Flash are up. I then use Serenity and hit them until the buff wears off, then I Blinding Flash and kite some more. It takes upwards of 5 minutes on some packs, and I often wonder if I should just avoid all elite monsters all together to mitigate the time loss.

The thing is, while I can do it, it's not fun. It isn't fun to run in circles for 15 seconds just so I can do 3 seconds of damage. And I'm doing this in solo Hell, not Inferno. I can't see this getting any more fun in Inferno.

Same lvl here. Running http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#akgXji!XYU!aaabbZ
Fist + Shield, 26k HP, 250 resists, 4k DPS. Facerolling everything. After activating MoC elites just melt, and Air Ally does some fantastic support dmg plus tanking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]