Diablo® III

Controller support?

I was wondering if Diablo 3 currently supports some sort of controller, such as an Xbox 360 controller or some other third party hardware. I enjoy using the point and click method, but it seems like there would be just enough buttons to use a controller. If not, are there plans for future support?

I can't seem to find anything on the forums about it...
Reply Quote
It doesn't seem likely that this feature will be added officially. This project is working to add alternative input support:
http://code.google.com/p/diablo-3-keyboard-movement-binding/

Note that this may not be kosher in the eyes of Blizzard/Activision.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I am not sure how you would point where your abilities would go very accurately but I am sure there will eventually be some third party software like the person above posted that will allow you to use a controller
Reply Quote
would be really interested in actibliz' view on this. Can we get an official answer? can i use this without being banned?

or can we count on something official being added "soon"? just wasd movement would be sufficient for the moment :)
Reply Quote
I would loooove XBox Controller support. This game feels made for twin stick shooting-style controls, and I really have no idea how to maneuver with just a mouse.
Reply Quote
i made one with xpadder works great kinda hard to pick up items and stuff cus u gota slow down and actualy aim. mouse is still easier but atleast my wrists dnt hurt anymore. and its not injecting anything no scripts nothing. all it does is take control of ur mouse and keyboard does nothing to the game actualy kinda made it HARDER lol. so please dnt ban me. its not like im cheating.
Edited by nightstalker#1734 on 5/29/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Any answer on the legality of using an external program to use a controller for diablo, I am very interested in finding out before attempting.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warrior
Such a grey area. I really doubt I'd comment on this if I were a blue...it's the kind of thing that could change down the road and if you said the wrong thing you'd be crucified.

The program you're talking about is used for macros and you can break a lot of rules with it.

That being said it's a grey area for a reason, for instance somebody that's disabled and has a hard time using a keyboard could use the program to make a really fair set up that gives no unfair advantage but simply makes the game more comfortable to play.

Personally, when in doubt I'd avoid it.
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson even said that the game felt so much better when played on a controller. I really hope that this is a feature that they will be continuing to develop. I also hope that they will do a test-run of the control scheme on the PTR or something. I remember playing the original Diablo on the Playstation and it felt great. A lot of action RPGs have released since then and the direct control they offer is really a lot more engaging than the M&K experiences. Also, my index finger on my mouse hand gets tired out from all the repetitive clicking of D3.

I started to use XPadder to play and it feels pretty good but it lacks the kind of control that really only native controller support can provide.

Currently you can really only set up the controller so that the thumbsticks just move the cursor around the screen. The ideal set up would be that your left stick would cause your character to move in the direction you're pressing and the right stick would allow you to aim your attacks.
Reply Quote
I hope they add this, as using my mouse is uncomfortable where i sit.
Reply Quote
51 Pandaren Mage
Blizzard! Read this! Add controller support. All the buttons and movements can easily fit on a controller. There are lots of people out there who have problems with hands, wrists and shoulders that start hurting after extended play.

(a lot of them got that way from playing World of Warcraft too...!)
Reply Quote
i believed since the day i played d3 that there is no coincidence that the whole skill and control system was "refined" to perfectly mirror a console's control scheme...

Torchlight 2 now has a mod with controller support if you are interested in that kind of thing..
Edited by MGH#1860 on 2/6/2013 1:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blizzard! Read this! Add controller support. All the buttons and movements can easily fit on a controller. There are lots of people out there who have problems with hands, wrists and shoulders that start hurting after extended play.

(a lot of them got that way from playing World of Warcraft too...!)

Take everything with moderation, even games (Tips ingame)
Reply Quote
ok console fanboys give it up controllers suck no if ans or buts mouse and key bored will always be better pc gaming will always be better learn to play like the pros if not stick to your kid toys just saying
Edited by kenny#1506 on 2/12/2013 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
you mean this isn't in? i thought diablo 3 was for consoles. lolol
Reply Quote
Given how reliant D3 is to the RMAH for sustained income, I am surprised that this is not already a feature. Obviously the RMAH would benefit from the expanded audience of a more approachable game.
Reply Quote
could you use a mapping program like Xpadder to program a controller to your keyboard and mouse and play like that.. blues please respond I won't be trying this out until I'm certain 100% it does not violate the tos... Anyways I've always have wanted to try it out and now with d3 coming to the ps3 and ps4 looks like everyone will be getting a chance
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:19 AMPosted by kenny
ok console fanboys give it up controllers suck no if ans or buts mouse and key bored will always be better pc gaming will always be better learn to play like the pros if not stick to your kid toys just saying

Actually while mouse and keyboard (yeah you misspelled board) are more accurate, controllers are specifically designed for gaming while mouse and keyboard was not, just because you want to use a controller doesn't mean you suck, means you want a more comfortable experience. I play GW2 using a controller and I think it's safe to say that i still do decent against others in WvW. you can still be a better player with a controller than those with mouse and keyboard
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i don't see why they wouldn't add support since their making the game for the PS3/PS4
it only seems like a logical step forward
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]