Diablo® III

Act 2 sewer lag?

The sewers, as well as a couple of other areas in the game, put MASSIVE stress on ANY GPU out there right now.

These areas are simply packed with stacks of effects that don't need to be there and are completely placebo, These sections need optimising.

There is NO OTHER REASON for these areas to be so intensive, apart from making people 'want' new GPU hardware.

I'll post some screens showing GPU performances later.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I had this issue when i ran through the game the first time and i didnt really care just lowered the rez down to 1280x720 and dealt with it but now im stuck there. whenever i go back to 1920x1080 i get massive fps lag even in areas where it ran smoothly previously its increasingly frustrating seeing my housemates run the game at full spec on computers that are below the "recommended". So its not a connection issue as they can run fine and my computer is "better" then theirs by a significant amount so plz explain why my computer struggles. i have tried the majority of the trouble shoots with horrid results.

fml

im in act 3 inferno and ive been playing in 1280x720 since the start of inferno. makes this game increasingly unendurable.
Reply Quote
I have a 560Ti, no issue's at all. Everythings on high and 1920x1080. Sorry guys :(
Reply Quote
me 2. i think its the reflection combined with the fog.m everything else run perfectly smooth on high setting
Reply Quote
yea its pretty intense..half of the game runs great half of it is absolutely terrible my specs are low though
Reply Quote
Its all the reflections being enabled by default, very GPU heavy. I don't know why D3 is missing all the graphics settings like SC2 has..... you could turn off all the reflections and pixel shaders and make SC2 run smooth on the most crap of hardware.....

I'm pretty sure the D3 and SC2 engines are similar, yet D3 is missing so many video/sound options as well as voice chat. Its like a Console title rather than a PC title. They oversimplified everything.
Edited by Spike#1118 on 6/3/2012 11:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Haidaire ,

I'm afraid your 520 GT is probably what's holding you back. It's really a low end card not suited for Diablo III.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_520/27.html

Why don't you make yourself useful and comment on all the server side lag? I know your not that bright and they don't pay you much so figured I'd help you out. kthx
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
The problem is not hardware. Specifically it's not your hardware being low end or out of date.

It's the lanterns. The lanterns that hang in areas like the sewers or the oasis.

More to it, it's the lanterns orange glow overlapping the water. This is just too hard for damn near any PC/Video Card to extrapolate. The math is too much for anything but VERY high end boxes or the lucky few who have odd combinations of hardware that just happen to not experience it.

It's just that weird combination of textures and lighting that makes cpu's want to explode. It's almost like the CPU is trying to render a three dimensional object in it's normal two dimensional plane. Just won't happen lol

Anyways Bliz, if you stop testing your games on top of the line boxes, and start using "us people" PCs you will see these problems before release. lol

And for the record I have 4 PCs that have D3 on them and they range from 7 years old to brand new. They also range from Nvidia and ATI cards to Intels integrated video. The cpu's also range from AMD to Intel so before you start posting that it's our graphics cards do a little reading on the forums. This is not an individual issue. People are all talking about it.
Edited by ChaongeL#1796 on 6/9/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem is not hardware. Specifically it's not your hardware being low end or out of date.

It's the lanterns. The lanterns that hang in areas like the sewers or the oasis.

More to it, it's the lanterns orange glow overlapping the water. This is just too hard for damn near any PC/Video Card to extrapolate. The math is too much for anything but VERY high end boxes or the lucky few who have odd combinations of hardware that just happen to not experience it.

It's just that weird combination of textures and lighting that makes cpu's want to explode. It's almost like the CPU is trying to render a three dimensional object in it's normal two dimensional plane. Just won't happen lol

Anyways Bliz, if you stop testing your games on top of the line boxes, and start using "us people" PCs you will see these problems before release. lol

And for the record I have 4 PCs that have D3 on them and they range from 7 years old to brand new. They also range from Nvidia and ATI cards to Intels integrated video. The cpu's also range from AMD to Intel so before you start posting that it's our graphics cards do a little reading on the forums. This is not an individual issue. People are all talking about it.

A low end video card is a low end video card. A 520 is not a "us people" card, it's a piece of trash. If the video card you are using costs less than the game does, that's probably a bad sign.
Reply Quote

..snip..

I agree the lanterns are trouble, even the very first one in the game shows it. Except I have an 8800 GT that this doesn't occur with, and a 560 GTX that solves it by turning off shadows-- both cases ruin your theories.

Anyways, your reasons are completely made up and just pure guessing. The cpu does not process '3d', the gpu handles it (T&L, Transform and Lighting). There is not 'too much math'. Even a basic Core i3 processes billions of operations a second.

I know it's easy to come up with theories that sound like common sense, but they're just wrong, and you're spreading misinformation.
Reply Quote
I'm starting to go with the theory that this may not be graphical at all. It may be a sound issue.

I notice that if I don't move the game never crashes. The water is still rippling, the torches still flickering, and no crashes. My ATI 5870 even with loads of baddies on screen never goes above 70C in other areas.

Only in that darn sewer level when I start to walk in water does the frame jumping and eventual freeze occur even if no enemies are on screen. If the randomly generated map thing kicks in and I get the sewer where I don't start near a larger body of water I can progress. If I am however placed right next to one, I must restart my PC a few into the water.

Just an idea. I've messed with every setting I can think of, too many to list and the sewer level among others get me every time. In the end I believe its just poor coding. SOMEWHAT like Crysis 1. It used to be the benchmark for vid cards not because it was all that great looking, but because it was just so poorly made.
Reply Quote
I'm on the lowest possible settings and I get FPS drops in the sewers as well, specially in junction areas where the path splits up into different directions. Everywhere else is fine, the sewer is the only place in the whole game where I get FPS drops and it becomes almost unplayable.
Reply Quote
I have this same issue, constant 60FPS everywhere else then it just plummets in the sewers and I've tried lowering all the settings it doesn't help much it's still VERY choppy.

I hope they look into this.
Reply Quote
I don't get what you people are complaining about, perhaps you have fouled up cards?

I run a GTX 560 Ti and NEVER see a FPS drop, sewer, oasis, lanterns... highest resolution and everything maxxed.

It is quite possible your cards are going on the fritz, I admit mine gets a little warmer in those areas by about 5 degrees but nothing has ever given me FPS issues.

Also, those few comments along the lines of "OMGZORZ MY GFX CARD CAN'T HANDLE NEW GAME, MAKE IT LESS PRETTY!" made me giggle inside, thanks I needed a laugh today.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I don't get what you people are complaining about, perhaps you have fouled up cards?

I run a GTX 560 Ti and NEVER see a FPS drop, sewer, oasis, lanterns... highest resolution and everything maxxed.

It is quite possible your cards are going on the fritz, I admit mine gets a little warmer in those areas by about 5 degrees but nothing has ever given me FPS issues.

Also, those few comments along the lines of "OMGZORZ MY GFX CARD CAN'T HANDLE NEW GAME, MAKE IT LESS PRETTY!" made me giggle inside, thanks I needed a laugh today.

If everyone who has this problem has a bad gfx card then how do you good sir explain the REST of the game running fine with no fps issues? You can't, blizzard can't that's why they don't respond. I guess my gtx 560 is bad. now that's the laugh you should have be looking for.
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Hennesy

Thanks for this. After a lot of tweaking I got my Intel HD running at about 30 FPS and was actually able to progress in Inferno until I hit the sewers. Hopefully they'll add some shader options in 1.03 (or 1.1)

I've noticed I get FPS drops anyplace there's something partially transparent covering a big chunk of the screen, it's especially bad in some places though (like sewers, or Butcher)
Edited by Maelstrom#1421 on 6/17/2012 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
The best Blue answer I have seen is an admission that those areas put a higher strain on a video card and it "will be felt even with higher end cards". Lower end cards are going to have major issues. On the good side the Blue did say they were looking to address it in a future patch. How long we have to wait for that though?? No clue. I am one of the folks who goes into slow mow in Leoric's manor, Sewers, Oasis, and a few other places. Spiders do the same for some people.
Reply Quote
I've been dealing with the lag since the game came out. Initially, I assumed that it was because the system I was using was about 5 years old and just wasn't up to spec. My wife is playing on a system that's only a couple of years old, just a newer model of the DELL XPS 1730 than the one I was using and rarely has a problem with lag.

I just bought a new system, an ASUS ROG gaming rig, and the lag problems went away, right up until the last patch. After that, guess what? I STILL have the lag issues, now worse than ever since the last patch came out. And before folks start claiming it must be the router/firewall/whatever other network issue you care to name, we're both using the same router/connection, so nope, I'm not buying that answer either.

I've been watching the forums for a few days now, looking for a way to make this game playable, and have seen lots of people complaining of the same issues, but the only blue responses I have seen, and there have not been very many, all are in the same vein with the one in this thread, that the problem is on the users end. If that is true, they why do so many folks with monster rigs seem to have the same problems as the poor OP here?
Reply Quote
Well looking through all the replies I've came to one conclusion. Update the game and fix it. Water Lag has cost me prob about 100k in repairs EASY!! But the game is not the problem its my video card,huh? Better fix stuff like this or people wont buy your next upload for this game. I know I wont.
Edited by Reaper#11590 on 7/28/2012 12:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]