Diablo® III

Belial and Azmodan Story Fail *SPOILERS*

Three things;

1 - Your Belial plot? Brilliant! As a writer, I owe you a beer for that wonderful little read.

2 - Your demon names were wrong; It's "Azmodan" and "Baal".

3 - I love your name. "Cthulboohoo". =)

9/10 good read.
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Nice job OP - this would have been a much better story arc than what they put in - I love the game but man.. The story line was just sad.

They should hire you for ideas on the expansion. :)

(SPOILER)
The most disappointing thing for me was when Adria reveals that Leah's father is actually Diablo himself. I actually facepalmed. What weak, cliche writing!
Edited by Stumbleina#1780 on 5/25/2012 10:56 AM PDT
I don't like the idea that your character is actually tricked into killing a child, although Belial could have had more of a plot twist than that, true.

The story in D3 is well presented, but a little one dimensional. It's not gamebreaking, though. D3 still has the best storytelling in a Diablo game. The bosses in the other games were basically just big baddies at the end of a maze. They had very little content to them other than simply existing.
Edited by TheBigBB#1564 on 5/25/2012 10:56 AM PDT
05/25/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Backslider
Well done. Your take on Belial was great, but reading it made me realize Blizz wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, and that made me sad. Why?

Of course they wouldn't. Not now.

But I like to pretend they still have the balls to write a story that would truly shock the player. Make a game that is more than a game. We shouldn't have to rely solely on indie developers to use games to tell unique and special stories. I haven't seen a major release that transcends conventional game story telling in ages.

Thank God we have indie developers making games like Bastion and Braid.
I don't like the idea that your character is actually tricked into killing a child, although Belial could have had more of a plot twist than that, true.

The story in D3 is well presented, but a little one dimensional. It's not gamebreaking, though. D3 still has the best storytelling in a Diablo game. The bosses in the other games were basically just big baddies at the end of a maze. They had very little content to them other than simply existing.

About being tricked into killing a child: In the original Diablo, when you encounter Lazarus, there's a vivisected child on the table in front of him. I think Diablo should be twisted like this, so I actually like his version of Act 2.
05/25/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Kosake
2 - Your demon names were wrong; It's "Azmodan" and "Baal".

Unfortunately, auto correct doesn't have any words from Sanctuary Demon Lore. Ah well.
05/25/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Sean
About being tricked into killing a child: In the original Diablo, when you encounter Lazarus, there's a vivisected child on the table in front of him. I think Diablo should be twisted like this, so I actually like his version of Act 2.

In the original Diablo, you do in fact kill a child. In addition to the vivisected one. In the end, Diablo inhabits the body of the prince. You know, a child. And when you stab Diablo in the face, the kid dies too.
05/25/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Cthulboohoo

In the original Diablo, you do in fact kill a child. In addition to the vivisected one. In the end, Diablo inhabits the body of the prince. You know, a child. And when you stab Diablo in the face, the kid dies too.

Yeah, that too. Not to mention, he's your little brother (apparently)
After seeing Diablo in D3, I immediately though of the alien queen from the Alien movies...and every time I see him, I can't unsee the alien queen lmao
05/25/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Soap
The Butcher, of what significance is he?

One thing that was most disappointing to me is that they flat out state that the Butcher isn't that significant - there are many of them in the Hells. And that you just killed one. So whatever. There's tons of them. That guy wasn't unique at all.

Better Idea: Belial sought out the corpse of the Butcher. And stitched him back together Frankenstein style. At least now it's the same one you fought before, and he's not diminished by being just one of hundreds.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Killing a kid feels kind of controversial. I think it's a bit too dark to do stuff like that and still be called a "hero". I love the Azmodan story though. And the diablo idea for fighting 7 diff versions of hell/etc. The lords of hell/diablo shimself should have been more cunning/terrifying/elusive than they were. Being new to the diablo franchise I can say I am unimpressed. Especially end bosses. End bosses need to be BEYOND epic. Sheablo is a bit of a faceroll. Fighting a copy of myself that also gets facerolled isn't that clever either =\. Blizzard, please make an expansion that towers over these boss battles. Bring the nastiest, cheating, lying, clever, and nightmarish monsters you can find and make the fights keep us on edge!
Love the act 2 proposal aswell.
I'm kind of sad how transparent the game has become.

I mean... who doesn't already know the boss of the expansion. Way too obvious.
I like it, definatelly alot better than the current plot.. :)
It seems like all of my thoughts and feelings have already been said in some way, so I'm just going to quote the ones I agree with the most.

05/25/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Spoz
Not gonna happen. But it would have been better, had it happened that way.

05/25/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Blazur
OP, your story is 10 times cooler and more sinister than what actually happened in the game. It's a shame Blizz can't write plots in a creative fashion like this.

05/25/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Havoc
Would have been better, but like you said, it can't be changed now.

05/25/2012 10:09 AMPosted by TechnoShaman
Your ideas are completely epic! I have to agree that Mr. "Lord of Lies" and Mr. "bestest general there evar was!" didn't really live up to their hype.

D3 IS CLOSER TO WoW, THAN D2 OR D1! It should NOT be that way. D1 was scary and gruesome. D2 was also gruesome. D3 doesn't have the tortured naked souls, or the rivers of lava with helpless sinners trying to reach out to save themselves, fountains of blood, etc.

Part of what made previous Diablo games fun, was the horror in them. D3 lacks such horror and sinister feeling.
Edited by Tau#1446 on 5/25/2012 11:11 AM PDT
Nicely done. Rewrite act 1 and give Cain a better death too.
85 Worgen Rogue
I would completely buy Diablo III again, just to experience the OP's vision.

For a bunch of "Lords of Hell", they seem fairly stupid as-is. Plus, this whole "Belial backstabbing Azmodan" would play really nicely into Tyrael's "Hell was constantly at war with one another" riff at the end.
05/25/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Scyzek
Killing a kid feels kind of controversial. I think it's a bit too dark to do stuff like that and still be called a "hero".

Heroes can be fooled. It's not like you intended to kill a kid. Every cop show has the story of a cop who accidentally shoots a kid in the line of duty. This is the exact same thing. It's not your character's fault for being manipulated.

Would you rather mow through enemies just because they're legions of hell, or mow through the legions of hell in an angry quest to reap vengeance and justice upon the demon that destroyed your psyche by manipulating you into doing the unthinkable?

Emotional investment in the story is the difference between Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones. And, damnit, that would get me invested in killing Belial.

The whole of Diablo is a series of horrible events and downer endings. Until you get to this one. Where everything is hunky dory at the end. All the cities are saved. Your character lives happily ever after to usher in a golden age. Or some crap. I liked that the first two games were so dark. It was part of their charm.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]