Diablo® III

Belial and Azmodan Story Fail *SPOILERS*

Okay, first, I think this game is a total blast. I love it playing it, and I don't agree with the haters.

That said: there's some major story fail here. Spoilers abound ahead. Blizzard writers - I know you probably can't change these things at this point, but you REALLY should. And I would love you forever if you do. You don't have to take my solutions. But seriously, anything would be better than what you did.

This is long, but here are my problems with this section of the story. And how I would fix them. I hope some of you will take the time to read this. I think I have some solutions that both greatly improve the story and are more familiar in tone to the previous games.

The portrayal of Belial and Asmodan:
One thing that the previous Diablo games never failed to do was to make our major enemies intimidating as all hell. You run into the Butcher or Andarial for the first time, and you crap your pants. To say nothing of actually meeting Mephisto. And Bhaal. And DIABLO.

Belial and Asmodan fail to be memorable villains, despite fun boss fight mechanics and design because they don't live up to the character traits the writers gave them. Belial is the Lord of Lies, but he fails utterly at lying. Asmodan is a master strategist who makes every cartoon villain mistake. What? You had awesome character concepts that you just didn't use. These are the Evils that united to defeat the PRIME EVILS. They should be bad dudes.

Belial:
Well Belial is the Lord of Lies. So shouldn't he, you know, actually be remotely good at lying? His identity is so transparent that even your character is just like, "dude, you're not fooling ANYONE." He should be the most devious bastard in the franchise history. How can I take the physical embodiment of lies seriously when he couldn't fool a child? His fundamental problem is that it takes the player almost no effort to deduce that the child using supernatural powers is the greater demon himself. The Lord of Lies biggest lie is that he's a good liar. Wait, that was a pretty good lie...

My Fix:
Everything is the same till you get to face Belial. You approach the Child Emperor, and he morphs into Belial. Just as you suspected. You expected more from a greater demon. You're geared for your climatic boss fight. Belial cackles at you and gloats that the city has been his all along. His minions uncloak all around you and swarm to attack you - you were geared for a boss fight, but now you're fighting a dangerous mob as well. Undeterred, you charge through his minions, and with all your strength bring your axe down on Belial's laughing face.

To your surprise, his body crumples instantly - that was the easiest Lord of Hell you've ever fought. You feel victorious for only a second - even before his body hits the ground, you know there's something wrong. And Belial's form slowly reverts back to that of the child emperor. It was an illusion, and you killed a kid - His guards that you killed - people too. They must have seen you as the same demon you thought they were. An astral projection of Belial appears, laughing with glee. "Sorry, you just missed me. If you'd like to pay a call, please look me up at Mount Ariat. Ask for the Lord of Lies." And laughs and laughs and laughs. Yeah. You're stunned. And ANGRY.

The Iron Wolves burst in and see the carnage you've wrought. The charge you, and you are given the option of slaughtering your fellow humans - ones that helped you just a quest ago - or running from the city in shame and defeat. Act II, done. But you don't feel victorious. No climatic boss battle. You've killed a kid. And innocent humans. You did the job of a demon for him. Vengeance will be yours.

And this game just got more personal than ever before.

Wall of Text Break. Asmodan's problems and fix will appear in the next post. Feedback is appreciated.

Your "version" or the Belial fight sounds awfully similar to the mail story regarding the Black Soulstone. Diablo tricked you into making him the prime evil. Belial tricks you into killing the emperor.

See what I'm saying?
05/25/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Terin
For a bunch of "Lords of Hell", they seem fairly stupid as-is. Plus, this whole "Belial backstabbing Azmodan" would play really nicely into Tyrael's "Hell was constantly at war with one another" riff at the end.

That was the point of it. They spent so much time talking about it, I was expecting to ACTUALLY SEE the demon civil war. Demons fighting demons? Epic awesome. How do you not include it. It's a no brainer.

Instead, we hear all about it, but in the story, it never amounts to anything at all.
I found it hilarious when they kept saying how Azmodan was the greatest tactician and yet he kept telling what his plans were......
Your "version" or the Belial fight sounds awfully similar to the mail story regarding the Black Soulstone. Diablo tricked you into making him the prime evil. Belial tricks you into killing the emperor.

See what I'm saying?

They're demons. Manipulation and trickery is literally their MO. Why is the Lord of Lies only fighting you with brute force?
85 Goblin Death Knight
05/25/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Viscero
D3 IS CLOSER TO WoW, THAN D2 OR D1! It should NOT be that way. D1 was scary and gruesome. D2 was also gruesome. D3 doesn't have the tortured naked souls, or the rivers of lava with helpless sinners trying to reach out to save themselves, fountains of blood, etc.

Nah even wow encounters were more fun- Ragnaros, Nefarian, Onyxia, C'thun, Kel'thuzad, Lady Vashj, Kael'thas, magtheridon....list goes on. Really epic final boss encounters. I remember every one of these fights because they stood out so well. Oh and we wiped on them lots too lulz.
Nicely done. Rewrite act 1 and give Cain a better death too.

I have ideas for this. Seriously. I'm really overwhelmed by the positive responses from all of you. Thank you so much.

I think I will write up an extended fix for every Act over the course of this weekend. If you want this, tell me! Because it will keep me from just procrastinating till it never ever gets done.
Someone should sticky this as a model example of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

I agree whole-heartedly that Belial and Azmodan completely failed to live up to their names, and Azmodans taunting throughout A3 was juvenile and ridiculous. This guy's story is much more epic, though I can't say I like the idea of no A2 boss and a double boss battle at the end of A3.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Make it. Now!

Blizzard- buy the copyrights to his story, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :)
I was surprised that the child was the bad guy... maybe I'm just an idiot :P

I like the way you think, but they had reasons for why they made the story the way it turned out.. you spent 5 minutes theorizing on how it SHOULD have been, but they spent days... with story boards, hundreds of people, and mucho munies!
05/25/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Surgery
Kinda sad that someone randomly on to forums can think up a better plot in half an hour than an entire team of devs did for god knows how many months/years.

truth

^this. I like your version (after you edited it).
My favorite is Magda in act one,

"you will never get the second piece of the sword! its right there in the ancients blah blah blah but you won't get it from me!"

Thanks, for telling me exactly where to look, you silly demon.

I really enjoyed your version.
Edited by MasterRiven#1524 on 5/25/2012 11:26 AM PDT
Playing from D1 to D2 then now D3, I agree that the story is a bit umm.. lets just say, seem to be not thought over that much.

I hated that they killed both Cain and Leah, and how Adria just betrayed everyone and was suddenly the dark wanderer's follower. The connection bet. D2 and D3 seems off. Unlike D1 going D2.

I also hated the voice acting! It's so lame compared to Dragon Age: Origins.
Nice work OP, but I really prefer the story the way it is.
Nice idea, ending felt rushed, flesh that out and you might have something.
Edited by Sarganym#1105 on 5/25/2012 11:32 AM PDT
you will never destroy the second hell rift!!!!!! mwahaha
05/25/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Scyzek
Nah even wow encounters were more fun- Ragnaros, Nefarian, Onyxia, C'thun, Kel'thuzad, Lady Vashj, Kael'thas, magtheridon....list goes on. Really epic final boss encounters. I remember every one of these fights because they stood out so well. Oh and we wiped on them lots too lulz.

Diablo and Diablo II never really succeeded on gameplay alone. Their mechanics boiled down to click or hold the mouse repeatedly and chugging the occasional potion. Especially the first one. But what made it legendary was that it was scary as hell; the Butcher just wiped the floor with you the first time you opened his door, guaranteed. The levels were gruesome. The monsters were vicious and fear inspiring. The music was eerie. And most importantly, you were always wondering if you would die around the next corner. The lore was ominous, crazy frightening, and, most importantly, vague and mysterious. And you just got progressively and progressively in over your head. The whole thing came together for an atmosphere of survival horror in the form of an action RPG.

Diablo III is a very fun action RPG. But it never feels like a horror game. And that's why it isn't as instantly beloved. I wish Blizzard would put the terror back into the Lord of Terror.
Your story rules dude, I like it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]