Diablo® III

Belial and Azmodan Story Fail *SPOILERS*

This was an awesome read. +1 OP, go replace the writers.
05/25/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Velex
Or perhaps Adria should have been Belial in disguise all along so that he could get his hands on the black soulstone and destroy all the other lesser/prime evils thus leaving himself the sole ruler of the burning hells.

05/25/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Ludovino
I was totally expecting and hoping that Act 4 would have been about Imperius abducting Leah and the soulstone and you having to go to Heaven to stop him. No corruption or demons invading, but you, the great demon killing hero, now having to turn those talents against the *%!%heads in heaven. Cliche? Sure, we've definitely seen something like that before, but it would have been better, imo than what we got.

These are both better than what we got as well. I was actually hoping for the same Act 4 ending - fighting Imperious. And hoping that Adria wasn't really Adria, because it's a huge derailment of her "character" in the original game. I mean she didn't really have a character, really. But she did show that not everything dark is evil. And I liked that.

So great minds think alike and all that.

But I wanted my retcon to involve as little change to the game in its current form as possible. Thus I chose my Act II ending for the most emotional punch with the smallest amount of change.

But yeah, I really would have liked Imperious to be the main villain. Especially with all the talk of the Soulstone being able to hold angels too. Yet another interesting plot thread that amounted to nothing.
Blizzard, hire this guy for the expansion please
I loved your story! If you want to know why the Diablo 3 story can't be like this, here's an interview with Chris Metzen, the head story writer for Blizzard games (Bold emphasis mine):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-20-the-hero-factory-interview
It soon becomes clear that total hopelessness, or a bleak outlook on human nature, hold no interest to Metzen as a storyteller, though he admits some responsibility for introducing the theme to Diablo. "I think at the end of the first game I had written that the hero takes Diablo through the stone into himself. It was a riff on the ending of the Exorcist movie. It's so bleak and bittersweet at the end of that game. But I think the dev team had gotten this impression that Diablo stories by definition have to be bleak, always, every time, there is no hope, there is no light. And I've always contended with that. I think that that is a ridiculous conclusion."

If you read the article, he pretty much states how he had a much darker outlook on life when he first joined Blizzard, but now he thinks all stories need to have happy endings and be cheery optimistic outlooks on life.

He even stated he pretty much wanted StarCraft 2 to be a "Gone With the Wind" story.

I miss the young Chris Metzen.
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/25/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Cthulboohoo
Nicely done. Rewrite act 1 and give Cain a better death too.

I have ideas for this. Seriously. I'm really overwhelmed by the positive responses from all of you. Thank you so much.

I think I will write up an extended fix for every Act over the course of this weekend. If you want this, tell me! Because it will keep me from just procrastinating till it never ever gets done.

Do it.
05/25/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Velex
Adria and belial should have switched places.
Or perhaps Adria should have been Belial in disguise all along so that he could get his hands on the black soulstone and destroy all the other lesser/prime evils thus leaving himself the sole ruler of the burning hells.

This sounds awesome! I agree to this.
Fantastic post, op
Write something totally creepy and grim like D1. I miss getting the crap scared outta me every time I hear a noise in the dark.

BTW:

Belial is actually Tyreal!

MUAHAHA ULTIMATE DECEPTION!!!
85 Goblin Death Knight
05/25/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Cthulboohoo
Nah even wow encounters were more fun- Ragnaros, Nefarian, Onyxia, C'thun, Kel'thuzad, Lady Vashj, Kael'thas, magtheridon....list goes on. Really epic final boss encounters. I remember every one of these fights because they stood out so well. Oh and we wiped on them lots too lulz.

Diablo and Diablo II never really succeeded on gameplay alone. Their mechanics boiled down to click or hold the mouse repeatedly and chugging the occasional potion. Especially the first one. But what made it legendary was that it was scary as hell; the Butcher just wiped the floor with you the first time you opened his door, guaranteed. The levels were gruesome. The monsters were vicious and fear inspiring. The music was eerie. And most importantly, you were always wondering if you would die around the next corner. The lore was ominous, crazy frightening, and, most importantly, vague and mysterious. And you just got progressively and progressively in over your head. The whole thing came together for an atmosphere of survival horror in the form of an action RPG.

Diablo III is a very fun action RPG. But it never feels like a horror game. And that's why it isn't as instantly beloved. I wish Blizzard would put the terror back into the Lord of Terror.

Cthulu I like you lots for actually replying to my posts constructively <3. On this matter I think there's something bigger at play here than just bad story telling. I think the evolution of online gaming has to do with it also. I dont play with in game music anymore, sometimes I poke around on vent with friends, sometimes I play in public games with people I dont know, a lot of these elements didnt exist so prominently 10 years ago. PC games were still mirrors of console games with a different controller, and the online frenzy back in the late 90's was a feature that rarely worked properly.

I have not lost faith that a GREAT story can come out of a pc game in this century, but a lot of us have gotten much more jaded and don't see the world as shiny as we used to. Where we used to see epic fights now we see epic flaws.

Point in case- gaming is evolving, and some things take away from the amazing simplicity of what could be a great game. So what can we do? Keep the feedback flowing on the things we value the most and can't afford to lose.
Man. I wish I would have played the game you wrote.
Just read it and I loved it. While I didn't have a problem with the way it is, I really think it would have been "scarier" if it was this way.

Edit: Please write a new plot for every act ><
Edited by Merlin#1848 on 5/25/2012 12:16 PM PDT
I wouldn't've posted, but your thread has seven freakin' pages (and counting?) with mostly favorable feedback.

The least I could do is give you a +1 for story writing.
I loved your story! If you want to know why the Diablo 3 story can't be like this, here's an interview with Chris Metzen, the head story writer for Blizzard games (Bold emphasis mine):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-20-the-hero-factory-interview

It soon becomes clear that total hopelessness, or a bleak outlook on human nature, hold no interest to Metzen as a storyteller, though he admits some responsibility for introducing the theme to Diablo. "I think at the end of the first game I had written that the hero takes Diablo through the stone into himself. It was a riff on the ending of the Exorcist movie. It's so bleak and bittersweet at the end of that game. But I think the dev team had gotten this impression that Diablo stories by definition have to be bleak, always, every time, there is no hope, there is no light. And I've always contended with that. I think that that is a ridiculous conclusion."

If you read the article, he pretty much states how he had a much darker outlook on life when he first joined Blizzard, but now he thinks all stories need to have happy endings and be cheery optimistic outlooks on life.

He even stated he pretty much wanted StarCraft 2 to be a "Gone With the Wind" story.

I miss the young Chris Metzen.

See, I never got that impression from the Diablo universe. Yeah, it's a horrible world, but that's not human nature. That's because there are demons roaming the streets with supernatural corruption powers.

Diablo II was about a guy who was fed up with these demons screwing with his world, and showed what happened when you pissed off humanity enough. It doesn't matter how powerful a demon lord you are - humanity would fight you.

So while the endings were bleak, it wasn't a negative commentary on human nature at all.
Edited by Cthulboohoo#1350 on 5/25/2012 12:21 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Warrior
This is a very good improvement to a less the stellar story, and a good example of constructive feedback. I doubt we will see these changes happen in the game, but maybe blizzard will see this and tell that we fans would really like a better story with a bit more drama and excitement.
That's actually damn good. But I really highly doubt that Blizz will change that now, I kinda wish that this would have been the story tho. Maybe there is more than we can see? Maybe it will be revealed in an expansion that Belial really isn't dead and Azmodan isn't either, it's all a perfect plan they two have constructed, perhaps Imperius has gone corrupted and joined them.
Again, highly doubt it, but one can dream.
@OP, epic post, you should have Chris Metzen's job.
[deleted]
Edited by Bothrops#1799 on 5/25/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Way better then the actual plot....good job

But i never expect Blizztard writers to actually produce anything good. And got exactly what i expected from D3....so that is why i am not that shocked and appalled by this bad story.
D3 story is just a child's tale. I hold myself from any spoilers before the launch and thought the D3 story will be so epic. It turns out I shouldn't have hold myself. The "story" is not impressing.
I'm impressed. This is much better than what we got. /clap
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]