Diablo® III

Aidan retcon makes no sense

Then again...

Ogden:
Thank goodness you've returned! Much has changed since you lived here, my friend. All was peaceful until the dark riders came and destroyed our village. Many were cut down where they stood, and those who took up arms were slain or dragged away to become slaves - or worse. The church at the edge of town has been desecrated and is being used for dark rituals. The screams that echo in the night are inhuman, but some of our townsfolk may yet survive. Follow the path that lies between my tavern and the blacksmith shop to find the church and save who you can. Perhaps I can tell you more if we speak again. Good luck. Many adventurers have graced the tables of my tavern, and ten times as many stories have been told over as much ale. The only thing that I ever heard any of them agree on was this old axiom. Perhaps it will help you. You can cut the flesh, but you must crush the bone.
Reply Quote
When I first heard this change, I thought they made it because some characters from Diablo 3 were going to be the same characters from the previous games (I am pretty sure the Barbarian was going to be like this), but this didn't go into release so why the heck did they change it?

Maybe it's a setup for some expansion?
Reply Quote
Kirihn, in Diablo 2 it refers to the "battle of Tristram", implying that was just more than one person involved. In the rogue's camp, they also talk about numerous rogues going to Tristram.

Tyrael was the symbol of justice, and later became the symbol of wisdom. Justice and wisdom would still exist in the world without a symbolic angel sitting there in Heaven. Similarly, the defeat of Asmodan doesn't mean that everyone will stop sinning.
Reply Quote
in Diablo 2 it refers to the "battle of Tristram", implying that was just more than one person involved. In the rogue's camp, they also talk about numerous rogues going to Tristram.

Having taken the time to sit down and watch the 2011 Blizzcon Lore Panel* (and having never read the Book of Cain) I can say confidently that I like OVERALL the story arc and origin story for the world of Sanctuary that they're going with. You are right, and I was mistaken; The Rogue is Blood Raven and the Summoner is the original Sorcerer (I was 11 when Diablo 2 came out, so some of the finer details I did not catch, I will admit). Being now older and wiser, with a better eye for storytelling, Diablo 3 still falls short.

08/13/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Starblazer
Tyrael was the symbol of justice, and later became the symbol of wisdom. Justice and wisdom would still exist in the world without a symbolic angel sitting there in Heaven. Similarly, the defeat of Asmodan doesn't mean that everyone will stop sinning.

Unfortunately, this is just not the case. It's pretty well established in the lore that all of these beings are, for all intents and purposes, immortal. When they are 'slain', they simply vanish into the Abyss to slowly reform and regain their power. When Tyrael CHOOSES to become mortal (though I'm still not sure how, as Metzen says in the lore panel, Angels ARE their wings; their wings are not only emblematic of their nature, they are the ethereal housing of their essence and intelligence) he is no longer Justice incarnate, and as is explained in the game, this has terrible ramifications in Sanctuary. With his fall, it is soundly stated that the laws which bind angels and demons no longer affect him (the Crystal Arch and all that...)

Azmodan, Diablo, Baal, all of them still emit their -essence- even when they are killed in battle, in much the same way that the base materials of a star still exists when it goes supernova, eventually regaining its physical shape. This explains why the events of Diablo 3 happen twenty years after Tyrael is vaporized, and not immediately after he destroys the Worldstone.

This is where they start to mess up the plot. Because the Worldstone no longer exists on the mortal plane, the Lords of the Burning Hells do not need a human body to take control over like Diablo needed Albrecht (once again stated in the lore panel). This being soundly the case, WHY does Diablo 3 need this convoluted plot for the Lord of Terror to take over Leah? It's worse than unnecessary, it's counterproductive. Without that critical point in the plot the Warrior does not need to be Leoric's older son, Adria does not -need- to have been swayed by the Dark Wanderer, and Leah need never have been born, or even introduced. As somebody to take over as lore-keeper for her uncle Deckard, this would have been fine. But she is killed off before we even get a chance to invest in her emotionally, making her character, sadly, completely benign and pointless.

The events up until now are not nearly as moving as they could be for the amazing universe Blizzard North created. BUT! It sounds like they still have something up their sleeve, so with one or two expansions, it is completely possible to turn this tragically underwhelming plot around. It can be done!

*To be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vutV77rKXXE
Edited by Kirihn#1589 on 8/13/2012 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The destruction of the worldstone unchained humans, allowing our nephalim powers to return. It also removed some of our protection from demons. However, I don't see why Diablo would no longer need a living host.
Reply Quote
08/15/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Starblazer
However, I don't see why Diablo would no longer need a living host.

No one else gonna field this one? Alright. Watch that BlizzCon panel. It's the very last question

"While the worldstone was up and doing its thing, which suppresses, y'know, Angels and Demons, really, to some degree, that most of these evils or whatever would have to be anchored in some kind of mortal form to possess them or really just to be anchored in this reality. Although, with the worldstone blown to bits, all bets are off - y'know what I mean. So with these guys, very mega-level, can probably just walk right in, y'know."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]