Diablo® III

Tired of ranged, I want my melee character

I've been tinkering with builds, that seems to be the best I can personally come up with. I'm trying to avoid going into a lot of other threads because I want, very much, to try and avoid ending up as a another cookie cutter. I just want to know if the build I'm going to attempt is even viable at this point. I've heard lots of horror stories, and while I'm sure some are exaggerated a bit, I've heard enough of them to know there is most likely at least some truth to how bad inferno is right now. Still, I'm up for a challenge (assuming I even get this character that far of course).

But in general, could this build work?

Talking about more than inferno of course, will this build support me in hell/nm/normal? I'm not exactly afraid of normal, and not really nightmare, but hell...haven't been there yet, so not sure what to expect.

New build below

[edit] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVXkST!bec!Zcaccb

After reading through the thread a few times, this is what I've come up with so far. Not sure how effective it will be, but it seems to have all the basics.

Frenzy + ?: Sidearm would be nice for the extra AoE, but the life regen on kill could also be useful. However, I also have

Furious Charge + Dreadnaught: After reading it and finding out it's 8% of max life and not 8% life leech, I added it right away. Lots of healing, yay!

So now I'm unsure what to stick in Frenzy.

Revenge + Provocation: Life leech, AoE, what else can I say? I could use an AoE that's always up and running (nearly anyway).

War Cry + Impunity: Armor buff, resistance buff, I likey :P

Leap + Iron Impact: Even bigger armor buff, also likey. Also, mobility.

Earthquake + Mountains Call: So I get the joy of earthquake, on a shorter cooldown, without costing fury and removing the buff from berserker rage? Heck yes. A good way to melt elite/champ groups I would think.

Nerves of Steel: I'll be stacking as much vit as I can get, second only to resistances. Vit = armor? Yes please. I know it's not likely, but I am going to try my darndest to kite as little as possible, even in inferno. Will it work? Doubt it, but I want to try, so why not? Trying is fun.

Superstition: 20% damage reduction for all those nasty times when armor doesn't cut it.

Berserker Fury: I have no spenders, I want to avoid them, this should give me the extra DPS that I would have made up for by using spenders.

Anyway, those are my trains of thought, good or bad who knows? I've tried to take as much as I can from this thread so far, so let me know what you think of the newest incarnation of my "super" tanky barb.

As far as passives go, I do have a question. Would I get more benefit by stacking Nerves of Steel and Tough as Nails by removing Superstition? As far as I've read, armor reduces damage from all sources, not just physical, so I wonder if using both armor increasing passives would actually surpass the 20% non-physical resist from Superstition? This could make a pretty large difference but I'm not sure about the armor thing.
Edited by Kain#1956 on 5/29/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
you can use whatever you want until you get to inferno for the most part... but keep this in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4
Reply Quote
Is that a hint not to roll barbarian?
Edited by Kain#1956 on 5/29/2012 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
you're going to hate life without revenge, i'd put that in instead of using cleave and frenzy

and frenzy/sidearm is pretty slick

other than that you will find out stuff on your own. some of my epiphanies included iron hide is too clutch to leave at home, if sword and boarding WoTB is at least needed to do substantial enough burst to bring down a mob quickly, making elite packs easier in the process, ground slam without 24 yard range gets annoying when you miss by a few feet, and furious charge with cooldown reduction pwns groups of mobs up to inferno-where runing with dreadnaught is just too good to pass up.
Reply Quote
Revenge is easy enough to add in, so is switching frenzy to sidearm. I don't really lose any AoE potential it looks like, so that's fine. Ground Slam I'll experiment with, most likely will end up with the range bonus, but who knows?

I do plan to go sword and board, but I'm still unsure about WotB. As nice as it is, it's just not up often enough to me. Granted it can add +100% damage if you rune for it...not sure. That's going to be one of those skills I have to test I think, but I tend to dislike long cooldown skills.

As for furious charge, i'll play with it, swap it out with leap, see which I prefer. From the description it sounded like it was the same skill as the monk where you just hold it down and run through mobs, did not like that skill very much.
Reply Quote
Revenge is easy enough to add in, so is switching frenzy to sidearm. I don't really lose any AoE potential it looks like, so that's fine. Ground Slam I'll experiment with, most likely will end up with the range bonus, but who knows?

I do plan to go sword and board, but I'm still unsure about WotB. As nice as it is, it's just not up often enough to me. Granted it can add +100% damage if you rune for it...not sure. That's going to be one of those skills I have to test I think, but I tend to dislike long cooldown skills.

As for furious charge, i'll play with it, swap it out with leap, see which I prefer. From the description it sounded like it was the same skill as the monk where you just hold it down and run through mobs, did not like that skill very much.

Charge is nothing like the monk's Tempest Rush. You put the cursor to the destination you want and you use it. You'll charge through mobs knocking them aside and doing a good 195% weapon damage to everything it hits. Dreadnaught makes it so that you gain 8% life per hit while Merciless rune reduces cooldown by 2 sec per hit. You can pretty much spam rush in and out of big groups of mobs to kill them with Merciless. If done right, you'll probably get hit once or twice sometimes not at all. Very overpowered for clearing trash.

Leap on the other hand is almost mandatory in Inferno for the 300% armor buff rune AND...you can use the skill to escape certain situations such as a waller arcane elite trapping you. I don't think I can live without leap. It's vital to tank hits and it's a great escape tool.

As for WotB...you'll soon see why it's valuable in Inferno. Some elite packs are ridiculous and dont give you much window to attack them. With WotB you will have a good chance to kill them in that small window before rng damage spike kills you. Combine it with earthquake and you could pretty much kill anything in 8 seconds solo play with exceptions to bosses and some extra HP champions.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVXkYg!bec!abacZb

There's what I have updated so far. Even not having the Sidearm upgrade, frenzy + revenge is amusing to say the least (only level 13 so far). I just have to get used to watching for it to proc, that's kinda annoying.

I'm not really sure what I can get rid of to fit in Charge though. Leap has a massive armor upgrade, War Cry is of course even more armor and a huge resistance increase, a 20% damage reduction is huge in inferno considering how large the damage is...the only one I can see maybe removing is Ground Stomp, but that stun is kinda nice.

I still see no room at all for WotB :(

As far as passives go, I do have a question. Would I get more benefit by stacking Nerves of Steel and Tough as Nails by removing Superstition? As far as I've read, armor reduces damage from all sources, not just physical, so I wonder if using both armor increasing passives would actually surpass the 20% non-physical resist from Superstition?
Edited by Kain#1956 on 5/29/2012 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My suggestion is to experiment and play with whatever you enjoy from normal through to hell.

Then when you hit inferno, come back to this forum and see what the cookie cutter build is for those who are undergeared.

My sense is that in the long run, there will be many viable builds, but for now while 95% of the population is undergeared, cookie-cutter inferno builds will be rampant.
Reply Quote
i don't think you really need cleave. just burn down normal monsters with frenzy and you'll be using frenzy on elites anyway, which are the real challenge.
You need ignore pain. zero chance without it. swap it in for cleave
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'd drop Threatining shout for WotTB

And provocation for revenge is almost needed
Edited by Sam#1345 on 5/29/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see anyway to gain health, so you're going to need some specific gear like lifesteal/health on hit. Which is fine if you plan on buying all your gear on the AH, but if you actually want to progress you take what gear you can get.

The triumph rune for frenzy would be well suited for this build. It seems you're going to gear quiet a bit of vitality because of nerves of steel. The 8%health gain on frenzy would be good. I don't like the maniac rune because it has a very short duration, and it's hard to keep frenzy stacks up. In inferno you kite a lot, standing still and getting frenzy stacks isn't a strong tactic.

Also large packs of mobs are something to consider for every barb, this one i could see having a lot of trouble, i learned very quickly on my monk that blind doesn't make you invulnerable because you can't always blind everyone. So same thing goes for this build, you can't stun every mob. Specifically in act 3 you're going to have a lot of trouble with large groups. Another thing to consider is sometimes you want to save that leap for mobility and not the stun. I'm like 70% sure you can leap out of a jailer. If you come across a rare pack with a jailer you're going to save that leap to escape. So the stun tactic becomes weaker.

A lot of builds work, it just depends on how much farming you want to do before you progress. I find that mobility and survival tools are usually the best way to progress undergeared IMO. Even then you'll run into some health link vampuric elite pack that just destroys you because you don't have the dps, or you don't kill that pygmy. Usually when i run into trouble the first thing i adjust is my build, because it's quick. If you have the patience to turn around and farm an old act then this build will probably work, or maybe you're just really good at making money and finding deals on the AH. Which seems to be a metagame skill only a few possess.
Edited by will#1451 on 5/29/2012 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the advice, I updated the OP with my new plan...who knows if it's good.
Reply Quote
It's been more than 24 hours...think it's safe to give this a little bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]