Diablo® III

320M discussion.

(Locked)

How are you finding it?
I'm running on 2.4 ghz C2D, 4GB and Nvidia 320M
My FPS is constant with 30-50 outside and in large areas, and 40-60 inside towns and inns, etc.

I find that the only thing that actually reduces my framerate is shadows. I can have everything on high and it stays the same. Turning everything to low doesn't give me any noticeable change to FPS which I was surprised about.
86 Blood Elf Paladin
That doesn't sound consistent with what I have heard people say about the 320M. Which model Mac do you have? Is it a MacBook Pro?
22 Human Mage
Are you playing D3 on Bootcamp? Because I've reached between 30-35 FPS in my Mid 2010 Macbook with 8GB RAM and installing D3 in my SSD.
I have a mbp c2d 2.4 4gb 320m , I've adjusted pretty much everything to low because i dont really care , and i have no idea how much fps i have but the game itself runs very smoothly , i only have problems with the launcher that crashes sometimes
Edited by Aero#1903 on 5/17/2012 5:37 AM PDT
10 Draenei Priest
I'm on a MBP 2010 2.4 ghz intel core duo, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 320M and it plays between 12 to 20 FPS with shadows and anti-aliasing off. Never was i able to reach 40 to 50 FPS.
I'm running it in full resolution 1920x.....
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
13" C2D 2.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, 320m here... 10-15FPS all low/off =/
I'm glad to see a thread that focuses on the 320M. It's been hard to determine what applies to my situation since so much is focusing on the 9400 video cards.

Is anyone else using the Mid-2010 MBP and/or 320M video card also using an external monitor? Have you had any success at decent framerates?

I have a Mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro - 2.4 C2D, 8gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 320M

I played for the first time last night and was getting only 10-15 FPS at best with a monk. It was pretty much unplayable. I had just restarted the machine about 2 hours before I started playing. I turned all of the settings way down or off and did not see much improvement - a few frames at best. I closed mail, safari, plex server and iTunes and switched to a Wizard and oddly it was around 4 FPS higher - but don't know if any of those changes actually affected it or not.

This morning I got to wondering if it was due to my external monitor. I did have my MBP connected to a 1920 x 1080 monitor, and was running it with the lid open (to keep the fans down). From what I remember, even though the laptop screen itself was black, the machine is still splitting the VRAM between the two.

I also had the resolution ingame set to 1920x1080, the native resolution of the external monitor. The native resolution of the MBP is 1280x800, so that may have been more stress on the 320M as well.

I'll try to play around more with the resolution and try running closed-lid and see if that helps tonight if I get a chance. I know if I lower the resolution it will probably be fuzzy, due to not being the external monitor's native resolution, but that may be what I have to deal with. I'd rather not play with the laptop screen if I can help it.
Edited by LokRaven#1706 on 5/17/2012 6:45 AM PDT
For reference, the 320M appears to only be used in the following models:

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 13" (Mid-2010)
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4 13" (Mid-2010)
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.66 13" (Mid-2010)

MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 1.4 11" (Late '10)
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 1.6 11" (Late '10)
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 1.86 13" (Late '10)
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2.13 13" (Late '10)

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4 (Mid-2010)
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.66 (Mid-2010)
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.66 (Server)

The 320M was made exclusively for Apple, as a successor to the 9400:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/13/nvidia_320m_gpu_made_especially_for_apples_new_13_inch_macbook_pro.html
I'm running it on the Macbook 13" 2010.
How are people finding it past act I?
Dunno yet, installing off the disc as I write. When I first played the open beta I had serious fps issues - the first few seconds of the game was ok, after that everything was in slow-motion - literaly. Some tweaking about later I had some luck with adjusting the native screen resolution (from within the os) to 800x600 before starting the game with the same screen resolution. Still a bit of lag in multiplayer at King Leoric though.

I'm going to try this again if I encounter probs, also some of the other tweaks (no shadow and no trilinear filtering). Note that I played the beta with OS 10.7.3, 15GB HD free and 4GB RAM, since then I have upgraded to 10.7.4, 8GB RAM and cleared up 40GB of HD space.

MBP 13" medio 2010, 2.4 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320M

---edit: no luck. Guess boot camp is next... :(

the trilinear thing mentioned here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235393584 does make a difference though. Went from 3-9 fps to 9 to 13-15, sometimes even 30, but still not good enough.
Edited by Ouroboros#2671 on 5/18/2012 4:53 AM PDT
You had no luck? Hmm the 320M is still running fine on mine. Coop lags a bit though.
Last night I ran the laptop closed lid with my external monitor, to give the external full VRAM, turned down the resolution to 1360x768, and turned off shadows. Everything else default I believe.

Instead of only 10-15 it was initially more in the 25-30 range most of the time. It was an improvement, but was just starting to make the game playable.

However, a friend later joined my game, and the FPS dropped. It was anywhere between 15 and 30, usually around 20 except for larger mobs and Leoric.

I was playing Monk and it was very sluggish. It felt most of the time like I would click on a mob and nothing would happen, my guess because the mob was not really where I was clicking anymore. It may have been server lag, but my friend said he wasn't having any lag.

Sbradford, do I assume you are using the laptop screen, or are you connected to a monitor? Are you at full 1920x1080? Next time I'll try using the MBP screen only, and see if that makes a difference.
Yes! Thanks for this thread. So anyone have any luck running bootcamp and the 320? It seems everyone has varied results with this graphics card.. so I'll input what I see once this game finishes installing (68%!)

Having to do bootcamp will be a drag.. Will I have to re-install?
'K, updated to 10.7.4 with the combo update this time (just to be sure). Set screen res to 1152X720, started D3, set the res to the same there, set everything to low/off, no AA and low fx, now I'm getting 15-30 with a few drops now and then. It still doesn't feel optimal, but definitely more playable than before. The prefs seem to have lost their disableTrilinearFiltering=1 mode, gotta try that again.

On a side note I lost a hero from the server in the process. [think I exited diablo w/o leaving the game] No biggie at this stage though.

---edit:
trilinear off => 20-40fps for a while (wow) then 20-30, then back to mehh.
windowed mode (800x600) 20-40. Tried windowed 1152*720, no difference (but the bigger window)

±4.5 GB memory free at all times, ±85% free CPU. D3 takes about 15-50% of the processes seemingly relating to # of mobs but NOT related to fps? (using iStat pro - maybe there's some sort of lag between the samples) wtf is up is the screen falling asleep or what? (going to try caffeine)

...just a few more things before I reformat the bootcamp drive and do a clean install of win7. It is fun playing though (I need morr speerrreet!) so these little tests tend to take longer than they should ;)
Edited by Ouroboros#2671 on 5/18/2012 9:46 AM PDT
@Lok Raven, yes I am playing on my 13" screen in native resolution.

If I play in 800x600 I can squeeze a constant 70fps out of the 320M, but it's not enjoyable.
13inch MBP
OSX Lion 10.7.4
2.4 Ghz
4Gb Ram
Nvidia Geforce 320m

I'm running native 1280x800 resolution with everything on high but have shadows completely off. I also have AA off and this is the only way for me to have stable 30 fps. I have higher fps in houses and smaller areas.

Still find it disappointing I have to turn shadows completely off to have decent fps.
Fumbling in the dark here... installed nvidia CUDA drivers - don't know specifically what they're for - and my gameplay felt more 'smooth' although the fps dropped to 15-20. Still some nasty dips that get me killed though.

...backing up HD and getting ready for win7 partition & install. will take some time.

---edit: btw these card-specific topics ought to be stickied, so they're easier to locate.
Edited by Ouroboros#2671 on 5/18/2012 12:21 PM PDT
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
05/18/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Ouroboros
Fumbling in the dark here... installed nvidia CUDA drivers - don't know specifically what they're for - and my gameplay felt more 'smooth' although the fps dropped to 15-20. Still some nasty dips that get me killed though.

Which ones did you use ?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

Or the developer ones ?
05/18/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Which ones did you use ?

yes, cudadriver-4.2.7-macos
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]