Diablo® III

320M discussion.

(Locked)

MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/18/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Ouroboros
yes, cudadriver-4.2.7-macos

Interesting.

Wonder if it will help for those having issues with the 9400 and 9440M chipset.

http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Has the 4.2.9 Mac OS drivers if you want to try them.

DISCLAIMER : Developer drivers are experimental so make sure you take a full backup and have the capability and time to restore your system back to how it was if things go to custard.

Do not download and install if you feel even slightly unsure of doing so.
thx bluspacecow, will look into if all else fails.

done backing up now, busy reformatting/installing win7 partition.

reset the power manager (again? beginning to lose track of things) and fired diablo up again - got an "updating setup file" msg and a whopping 50-70fps before the whole thing crashed on me.

Did blizzard update something? My prefs have been changed/reset, but also the default settings are not like the ones before. (eg screen defaulted to 800*600 before, now it's native resolution) Gotta check that out again when spotlight is done indexing, and bootcamp assistant is done partitioning.
...at last, a very stable ±20fps. Which means I can finally play it. No boosts though, and everything still needs to be set to low/off, but I can play!

recap:
mid 2010 13" mbp, 2,4 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8GB RAM, GeForce 320M 256MB
fresh 40GB boot camp partition & 64bit win7 install + latest (296.10) nvidea drivers

---edit: around ±33 today in boot camp. Mac is still sluggish, almost tolerable, but with deadly fps-drops. Will try parallels desktop next.
Edited by Ouroboros#2671 on 5/19/2012 4:30 AM PDT
Started to notice some slow down as I progressed through act 1.
It appears that these machines won't handle an external monitor very well with D3, even at the same resolution as the built-in screen.

I've played a few times with the MBP closed lid and set to 1280x720, closest to the built-in screen's 1280x800, and only got around 20fps max in the outdoor areas of Act 1 (shadows off).

Running with the built-in screen, however, got me 25-30fps which is actually playable. I hate not being able to play on my 23" monitor, but playing on the laptop does allow me to move around and play I guess...
Im using a Core 2 Duo with 2.66 GhZ, 4 GB Ram, and a Nvidia 320m and the fps is very inconsistant. For example, parts of A1 is fine but the oasis in A2 and most of A3 is VERY laggy. The parts where i get the best performance are indoor caverns or caves.
-well I just wanted to play the game. Boot Camp solution offers that, mac client does not.
Mine runs on 60+ fps and have finished inferno on my macbook pro i7 320m without any issues.

To add, All my settings are on low
Edited by Nibb#2714 on 5/21/2012 2:22 AM PDT
Mine runs on 60+ fps and have finished inferno on my macbook pro i7 320m without any issues.

To add, All my settings are on low

Could it be possible that you have a GeForce GT 330M? As from my understanding there is no Macbook Pro with i7 CPU and 320M GPU.

I use a Mac Mini 2010, C2D, 8GB and Crucial SSD and have totally different experience.
Of course, my CPU is quite old compared to your i7, but I only have ~50% CPU usage while D3 is running. So I can't imagine that this is the reason and therefore I'm wondering how you can get 60 fps.

When I open a single game, it is quite playable (don't now how to see the fps) but in party...no chance.
Also for single game I had to switch of - or rather set to low - all options and turn down the resolution from 1680x1050 to whatever something lower.

If I minimize the D3 client after 15 minutes of gaming it is like everything is freezed. It is even not possible to open Finder -> and there is no other application running at this moment.

I'm running Mac OS 10.7.4 and also tried the CUDA driver in addition, without success.

Overall I have the feeling that there is somesthing wrong with the client not with the MAC/GPU.

Hope that blizzard put some work in the Mac OS Client and my dream become true to play D3 on my 40" Display.
Edited by Malus#2229 on 5/21/2012 6:52 AM PDT
Looks like Blizzard is at least doing something to focus on our machines with the 320M:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903180328?page=8#153
Edited by LokRaven#1706 on 5/21/2012 7:17 AM PDT
well at least Blizzard knows and is working on a fix.

I have a mid-2010 MBA 13"
2.13GHz C2D
4GB RAM
256GB SSD
OSX 10.6.8
and the 320m is pushing a 24" external in clamshell mode.

Game settings are all set to lowest or off if possible, foreground limited to 50fps, anti-aliasing off. I have to run it at the lowest 16:10 res to get the best FPS, 960x600 I believe. Blurry as hell but it's not that bad when all the action is going on. Sucks in town when looking at vendor menus or your inventory/stats.

Problem areas for me are:
large outdoor areas like Act 1 Wortham to Leoric's Mansion
areas with lots of glow effects, water or flames like Act 1 Wortham, Cathedral crater areas, drowned temple, Butcher etc.
areas with lots of background things going on like Act III on the keep walls, enemies with lots of spell effects

I managed to plug away and finished normal Diablo last week. Today however has been lag city! Can't get decent FPS anywhere, even areas that were smooth for me last week. When I joined a couple of friends it was like watching a slideshow. I am in Southeast Asia defaulted to US servers and ping is constant mid 300ms range and I have fibre broadband at home. Performance should be much, much better than it is.

I haven't tried bootcamp or the laptop native lcd. The latter might possibly improve the FPS as I did play open beta on it at native res and was able to play multiplayer fine, even though I did not lower settings and had left anti-aliasing on.

Fingers crossed for a quick patch from Blizzard!
Edited by metalsquid#6524 on 5/21/2012 7:47 AM PDT
Hopefully Blizzard will find a solution soon. It's horrible actually.

Game runs in menu at 50fps from start up, some minutes later 20-30fps ingame.
Some more minutes, 1-2 more players and its stuck at 5-10fps.

Asus X5DI
2.30GHz C2D
4GB RAM
500GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Hopefully Blizzard will find a solution soon. It's horrible actually.

Game runs in menu at 50fps from start up, some minutes later 20-30fps ingame.
Some more minutes, 1-2 more players and its stuck at 5-10fps.

Asus X5DI
2.30GHz C2D
4GB RAM
500GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Hi, just wondering if you are running a Hackintosh on that Asus or is your 320m having these issues running D3 in Windows?
05/22/2012 01:02 AMPosted by metalsquid
Hi, just wondering if you are running a Hackintosh on that Asus or is your 320m having these issues running D3 in Windows?
I thought the 320M was made just for Apple?
05/22/2012 01:15 AMPosted by SDBradford
I thought the 320M was made just for Apple?

It's rather confusing but there's an older card called GeForce GT 320M in PC notebooks and then there's the GeForce 320M that is an integrated chipset for Macs. Both use a stripped down GT216 core. The GT 320M slightly outperforms the integrated 320M due to slightly higher clock speeds and has dedicated VRAM.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-320M.25099.0.html
The 320m is an integrated card and will not run Diablo 3 well at pretty much any settings, but it should run better than the 9400m people.
05/22/2012 01:59 AMPosted by Icy1007
The 320m is an integrated card and will not run Diablo 3 well at pretty much any settings, but it should run better than the 9400m people.

Do you have any personal experience with this chipset? We all know that integrated graphics chipsets like the 320m are a little wimpy but the fact is, last week I could get ~40-50fps on a 24" external monitor at the lowest 16:10 resolution (960x600) and lowest settings. Don't know about you but I would say at that at 40-50fps, the 320m is running it very well and I certainly would be pleased with it if I could consistently achieve it. The issue is that after a while, the fps starts to drop until the single digits and becomes a slideshow even in small indoor maps and low effect/enemy areas. So the hardware is not struggling with the game at all if one is willing to accept playing at the lowest settings and I think all of us with integrated chipsets are fine with that. The fact that performance seems to degrade after a while or at seemingly odd times and cannot be readily reproduced, indicates that there is a problem with the client/server communication, a memory leak, or quite likely poor/outdated/unoptimized OSX drivers.

Now, I wish posters would stop 'defaming' :p the 320m with anecdotal 'bro knowledge', saying that it can't handle D3. It certainly can and should be able to deliver decent (30fps) performance at the lowest settings and I know this because I've seen it with my very own eyes. No one is expecting native res with high graphics settings.

Do you have any personal experience with this chipset? We all know that integrated graphics chipsets like the 320m are a little wimpy but the fact is, last week I could get ~40-50fps on a 24" external monitor at the lowest 16:10 resolution (960x600) and lowest settings. Don't know about you but I would say at that at 40-50fps, the 320m is running it very well and I certainly would be pleased with it if I could consistently achieve it. The issue is that after a while, the fps starts to drop until the single digits and becomes a slideshow even in small indoor maps and low effect/enemy areas. So the hardware is not struggling with the game at all if one is willing to accept playing at the lowest settings and I think all of us with integrated chipsets are fine with that. The fact that performance seems to degrade after a while or at seemingly odd times and cannot be readily reproduced, indicates that there is a problem with the client/server communication, a memory leak, or quite likely poor/outdated/unoptimized OSX drivers.

Now, I wish posters would stop 'defaming' :p the 320m with anecdotal 'bro knowledge', saying that it can't handle D3. It certainly can and should be able to deliver decent (30fps) performance at the lowest settings and I know this because I've seen it with my very own eyes. No one is expecting native res with high graphics settings.

Sounds like you have a heat related issue than.

Also, I never said it couldn't handle D3. I just said that it couldn't run it well. 40-50fps at all low settings @ 960x600 is not my definition of "running it well".
Edited by Icy1007#1247 on 5/22/2012 3:00 AM PDT

Sounds like you have a heat related issue than.

Also, I never said it couldn't handle D3. I just said that it couldn't run it well. 40-50fps at all low settings @ 960x600 is not my definition of "running it well".

You may be right. Just saw a thread about improved FPS on a 9600 GT with the laptop vents raised for better airflow. I'll try that later when the servers are back up, open the clamshell for some ventilation. However, that would mean the vram is now split between the external and lcd which would probably negate whatever improvements come from better cooling.

I guess we'll just say then that "running well" is subjective enough that we don't have to agree on it. The 320m is certainly no match for even a weak dedicated GPU but given the context that it's in a MBA that was never designed for gaming, the fact that it could even push a game like D3 out at a quarter of its native res at 40-50fps I think is pretty laudable, especially since it was already long in the tooth in 2010. Full marks to Blizzard for even supporting it, they could have very well decided only to support dedicated mobile GPUs.
70 Blood Elf Hunter
Hey Y'all, this is from my For Mac mini thread, but since we all got the 320M figured id share my results and specs!

So i got the mac mini mid-2010 model or whatever its called. Aluminum wrapped.

Basic Core-Duo package with 8gigs of RAM, ddr3
Nvidia 320m graphics card.

I havent checked my FPS yet, but I know its slow, because my gameplay is horrible. Slow response times on in video to all actions including shift-click firing. Monsters just suddenly appear in my face after firing at them. That sort of thing i suppose that the rest of the world is complaining about.

Anybody completed the fixes and got promising results? Our Mac minis are over the mark as far as requirements go so Ive been told by tech support!

Alright all, i got 27 top fps going which is way better than what it was before i changed all these settings. Again, this is for the 320m video card.

Fullscreen at 1920x1080 (16x9 widescreen)
Uncheck letterbox
Uncheck vertical sync
Max forground fps at 150. Not sure what i can really put it at since i havent tweaked with it)
Max background fps at 30. To be honest im not sure how these work.
Texture quality is low
Shadow quality is off
Physics is High
Clutter Density is low
Uncheck anti-aliasing
Check Low FX

It is now working to the point where im able to avoid getting killed. Totally psyched to play more!!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]