Diablo® III

Is there a way to NOT play on battlenet?

It is very very annoying that when I go to play, I cannot because of some issue on battlenet. Or because my game crashes because of a burp in my internet and I have to reset the modem.

This is MY game...I paid for it. I should be able to play when I want.

Are there any plans for a patch or some type of upgrade where we can have the choice to play on battlenet or not?

I am angry. I've been waiting a while for D3 and so far, I'm disappointed. Not just in the fame, but in how it's being dictated as to when I can play. My mom doesn't even tell me when I can play!
Reply Quote
Like WoW, and unlike Diablo 2, Diablo 3 uses a true client-server architecture. While some say this is for anti-piracy, I'm all in favor of it to keep the massive cheating via dupes out of the economy that broke the Diablo 2 experience.

You didn't pay for the game itself. You paid for Blizzard's license to use it. Read the Terms of Use. I've played over 24 hours since release, and the server up-time has been FANTASTIC compared to every other MMO release I've been a part of, which dates back to the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL in the early 90's.

Would I like to play Diablo 3 at *any* point in time whenever I like? Sure. Would I sacrifice the Diablo 3 economy integrity for that? Absolutely not. In a month, when there's 99.9% server availability, no one will remember this launch as negative, and we'll all be thankful that everyone isn't running around with a stash full of stones of jordan & lvl 14 gems, and a billion gold that can simply be duped when needed.
Reply Quote
When I played D2, I didn't realize anyone was duping or cheating because i was playing my own game by my own self. Enjoying myself. I didn't have to deal with anyone or wait for a server or reset modems....I just played.

Battlenet sucks some of the fun out of it.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 06:28 AMPosted by Sorchia
when i bought this RPG i expected to be able to play it whenever i wanted to, not whenever blizzard wants to let me play it, if i wanted them to make that call, i would have bought an MMO and payed them a monthly subscription fee.

I would recommend reading the game box/information on the game in the future prior to purchasing then. You did not buy the game, you bought a license to play the game, on Blizzards servers. The box also states the an internet connection is required to play.
Reply Quote
Make a separate release of an offline version, whose items can't be traded to the online version, for those who live outside good-internet zones (90% of the world, you know, US citizens?) and for those who simply don't want to be a part of the excessively-concerned-about-every-insignificant-detail community, and those complaints are solved.
Reply Quote
I don't care about duping, cheating, exploting, hacking, or any of this crap. I don't care about ladders, walls, profiles, achievements, auction houses, boards, community, character optimization, extremely detailed and technical discussions about very minor details, or ANY of this BULL!@#$. I don't care about being unable to get a perfect-itemized hero due to inability to access the auction house.

I just care about being able to PLAY with my friends when we want, how we want, and as much as we want. All I ask for is a freaking offline mode. I don't care about having ENTIRELY separate item/artisan/WHATEVER databases which are impossible to coexist. I don't care if Blizzard has to make online/offline databases fundamentally different in encrypting so that hackers/dupers/exploiters/thieves/imbeciles can't hack the online version. ALL I WANT IS TO PLAY THIS GAME DECENTLY. I live in a country where we don't have 24/7 internet access virtually everywhere (that's over 70% of the world, population-wise, US citizens, and we DO want to play D3, did you know?).

I would even pay for this game again if necessary, but PLEASE, give us an alternative to play offline, even if severely limited. Please.

This came out pretty rude, but those are my exact feelings at the moment. I'm sure there are many more who agree with me, many of whom don't even know these boards exist. Such is the degree of unknowning on those people. Please, let us "ignorant", simple fools have our simple fun, and let the achievement-crazed have THEIR fun, while not force-feeding us their own style of fun?

Thank you.
Reply Quote
There will be no alternative. It's not happening because the system has been abused in the past.

You should have done your research before wasting money. If it says an internet connection is REQUIRED to play the game, that means no offline which means when the servers go down, you can't play.

24/7 Internet access is available EVERYWHERE. Pay for it.
Reply Quote
OK , I get it, I get it.... I spent big bucks on the game and a new video card...and still getting the main two errors, I have also been waiting for years to play this game...
But I think I am patient enough to ask Blizzard this question and have this question answered regularly....

When is the project time...(I know you cant be exact...and that should be part of any disclaimer) that the servers ar operational enough to handle the load of players online currently?

I think that is a fair question...
Thanks
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Zeldafan

Your post was full of bull!@#$, but this was the most glaring.
Reply Quote
You're upset because you bought into all the hype that was surrounding Diablo 3, got all nostalgic thinking about how much fun you had playing Diablo 2 and wanted to recreate that experience. This is not the game to do that, and if it's what you where expecting, then sorry, it won't be. In the end, you technically let yourself down by not doing the proper research and by letting yourself get carried away with what you expected. Blizzard created this game to make money AND THEN to make their fans happy, because even if they love their jobs, working for Blizzard is still a job. If you are unsatisfied with your experience, then take solace in the fact that there are people working at Blizzard who are truly sorry that they couldn't provide you with the game you wanted. If you can't accept that and move on, then you are doomed to another two months of self-inflicted stress because what you wanted didn't happen. Does it suck? Yes, it super sucks. It is almost the opposite of Batman sucks, but this is the world now and we ALL (Blizzard employees included) have to deal with it. Alternatively you, you could look into purchasing another game similar to Diablo 3 that does offer offline play.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

You didn't pay for the game itself. You paid for Blizzard's license to use it. Read the Terms of Use. I've played over 24 hours since release, and the server up-time has been FANTASTIC compared to every other MMO release I've been a part of, which dates back to the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL in the early 90's.

That is arguable depending on which state you are in. He paid for the game not the license. The license just happens to be part of an agreement to let him play the game. It's like buying a car. You paid for the car, but you must pay for insurance/license fees/plates etc to be able to legally drive.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There will be no alternative. It's not happening because the system has been abused in the past.

You should have done your research before wasting money. If it says an internet connection is REQUIRED to play the game, that means no offline which means when the servers go down, you can't play.

EVERYWHERE? Ignorance must be bliss
Reply Quote
I have to say that I am still playing Diablo 2 over Diable 3 just because of this issue. Blizzard - you are never going to stop hackers from stealing your game... your customers are just going to stop buying your games - at least the customers that HATE online gaming. It's human nature to want to get something for nothing. You are now making your customers pay for your greed. I have been a Diablo fan for many years now and I am shocked that you would do something like this. I don't play games online and I refuse to be a part of this selfish venture any further.

Yes, I have paid for the game and yes you made some money off of me. Good luck getting any future sales out of me. There will be no residual sales generated from me either. I will not speak of this game nor will I promote it in any fashion. Good Customer Service should be a main concern of all businesses, and not how you can keep people from stealing your game. If you make a great game - most people will buy it. Not to mention that you have merged Diablo with World of Warcraft like characters which sucks on a level all on its own.

My advice...? Make a patch allowing people to un-link their game and free up their game play. Bill Gates would have never dreamed of pulling this kind of BS because he knows that a customers freedom of choice is just that - a freedom.

Just look at what Valve did with their Half Life games and Steam. You have to activate the game online through steam, but that's it. You are not required to have an internet connection after registering. AWESOME! You boys and girls could learn a ton from this innovative company.

Good luck in re-cooperating your advertising dollars. You pissed a lot of your game fans off with this one.

PS - You are turning lots of young people into zombies with your online gaming platforms. A game should have an ending and do exactly that - end... World of Warcraft in particular. The only thing I like about this game are the cinematic movies. I'll watch them on YOU-TUBE. Thanks for the effort guys - great job - really.
Edited by NeXuS#1901 on 5/21/2012 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I never bought D3 with the anticipation of playing as an MMO. I guess there are folks who are into the economy model, but frankly, that's not for me. I simply want to play it standalone like the traditional Diablo or maybe D2.

I don't see any reason why Blizzard doesnt offer an online and offline mode. Make the character systems completely separate. I only have one buddy that I even acknowledge when he's online and we are so far apart on levels he's bored playing with me and he's in areas where I wont go...so why bother?

Give me the option to play offline permanently and I will wholeheartedly take it. As far as I'm concerned, battle.net is a waste of time and resources and is just plain stupid for those of us who just want to play the game and not deal with all the BS of the server infrastructure being down for 8 hours.

Lastly, in light of all of the comments about "well you can get internet ANYWHERE...", "you KNEW you needed internet before you bought the game..." Let me throw that comment in Blizzards face.

If you don't have multiple data centers, THEN YOU SHOULD. One on the east coast, one on the west coast. Setup replication between your databases or SAN replication. Then when you have a code release or maintenance (which believe me guys, they are full of crap that this take 8 hours!!!), you switch all ofyour public DNS over to EC DC while maintenance or releases are being done on the WC DC. When WC DC is done, switch DNS again, take down the EC DC after about 30-60 minutes and then do the EC DC maintenance.

The need to take down your ENTIRE infrastructure means one thing. Blizzard has extremely incompetent data center architects and their engineers are saddled with stupid requirements.
Reply Quote
I have an unusually calm, collected focused 13 year old that wanted to play on and off while we put 20 hours of drive time. Every new cell tower seems to equal a battle net security emergency and account lockout/reset protocols and automatic? in game death.

Lets just say his game play has been far more frustrating than fun. New plan: Avoid Blizzard/Battlenet products until they realize laptops and mobile data are common in 2012.
Reply Quote
Just want to add that most games say Internet REQUIRED for online parts of the game,

When I am travelling i buy games to play on the journey, where can i get 24/7 internet on a plane???.
People need to realize that issues arise like internet provider issues, travelling, network card failure... This has not been even thought of from Blizzard and after owning every game they have released I am sad to say i will no longer be purchasing any of the future releases due to this new "way of thinking".

Thank you for making things more controlling in this world BLIZZARD and removing our right to just enjoy a game as we have always done traditionally.
Reply Quote
At least some of you can play. There are still many of us that purchased the game, installed, and attempted to play, but can't since it is unable to connect. I have gone through tech support with them being good at responding, but after several weeks of crippling my computer in the attempts to be able to get a connection out, it is still a no go. So for 6 months I could look at the wonderful artwork on the box, and watch screen shots of game play wondering if I ever will be able to play the game. Until they allow some of us to play offline we will have to sit and stew being pissed that in Blizzards attempt to fix a problem they created a mess in my eyes. I just want to play. Could care less to play against others. I just wasted a bunch of money on a box and a disk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]