Diablo® III

This game isn't fun anymore.. too hard

90 Undead Warlock
Ever since I got about halfway through Act I in nightmare mode I can't kill anything and I die in 1-2 hits. I spend most of my time playing running away or waiting for the rez timer.

My attacks no longer do damage, and even if they did I have 0 opportunities to attack. I spend the majority of my time casting Grasp of the Dead and running in circles, trying to get 1-2 Haunts off whenever possible. Beyond that there's no time to do anything else.

Here's my stats if it matters...
Level: 36
Str: 69
Dex: 82
Int: 388
Vit: 176
Armor: 623
Damage: 378.5
Health: 2,116
Mana: 548

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using Spirit Walk + Soul Harvest to get my 5 stacks. In normal mode it @*!*d, but it's not as good anymore.

My other attacks are Poison Dart (as much as I hate it, it's the only good main attack especially for elite mobs), Haunt (I have no choice but to use this, because I'm constantly running.. the only other option I can think of is Locusts), Grasp of Dead (if I don't use this I will instantly die, enemies will surround me in 2 seconds), and Gargantuan (he buys me needed time).

As for passives I've realized if I don't use Pierce the Veil (20% more damage) then I definitely can't kill anything.
Edited by scubasteve#1148 on 5/18/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Idk dude, I ran through normal and nightmare with one of my buddies and if you think nightmare is hard wait until you get to hell. I am permanently stuck in Act 2 in hell and I cant do anything. The Elites/Champions are too !@#$ing hard and all I do is die and die and die. Its useless and pissing me off.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Gear.

I have 554 DMG and 589 INT at 33 and I'am owning Nightmare without any issues. It is almost like Normal.
Reply Quote
Stats are terrible tbh. Buy gear on auction house.
Reply Quote
Im having no trouble in nightmare (lvl 40 act 2). It think its your gear. I have 5k hp with 740 int
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Gear.

I have 554 DMG and 589 INT at 33 and I'am owning Nightmare without any issues. It is almost like Normal.

Did you buy all yours off the AH? I bought a few pieces earlier today hoping it would help, but no luck.

I guess I should also be replacing normal mode Rares with nightmare Magic items? I haven't done that so that could make a big difference
Reply Quote
Item rarity doesnt matter, just stats. Just look for gear thats your level and get whatever if good/you can afford, if its blue it's blue, if it's yellow it's yellow.
Reply Quote
Dont give up the point of diablo is to gear up for upcoming damage.

1st suggestion is to upgrade your weapon. Im lvl 39 and doing, with Soul harvest stack 5, up to 1800 dps.

Also instead of running full speed somewhere just click a few yard at a time and so you wont run into pack and have better chance to respond.

Wall of Zombie is a life saver. If you spot a pack before they move. Hit WoZ and it will block its path and hit it with Area of Effect skills.

For Sould Harvest use the rune that Steals Health and in combination with Horrify or Mass Confusion. With that you run, cast Soul Harvest, Horrify or Mass Confusion and blast it with offensive spells.
Reply Quote
Heres some itemization tips for you.

-Weapon DPS is your most #1 important stat, much more so then your primary stat for DPS. Also if you dual wield, keep an eye on your damage stat (press "C"). If the offhands dps is to far off from your mainhand you will actually lose dps.

-"Defensive" stats such as armor or dex/str/int pale in comparison to vit.

so ya, get a high dps weapon(s) and stack vit on your armour.
Reply Quote
Better gear dude the fun of the game is it being hard get some cheap stuff of the ah or do some rare mob grinding THIS GAME ISSS AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Reply Quote
yup, def upgrade your vitality, i was sitting on 10k health and i still thought NM was pretty hard.
Reply Quote
The problem is your building your character the wrong way and probably not avoiding things you should. Just play and learn. If NM is too hard for you to enjoy then play normal until you feel comfortable enough with the game to go into NM.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
i feed off your tears of suffering....
Reply Quote
just go AH search for 2h weapons for wichdoctor and take the 1 with more dps and some stats...then go back ac1 nightmare and headshoot mobs

is like 1 was going in hell act 4 wiping on every elite pack...then i went ah got 2 handed weapong random with nothing more than 625 dps...and now is like 30k direbats hits 4k locust swarm ticks 20k acid rain..biggest crit was for like 70k with a sacrifice..so !@#$ing insane this game is 100% geared based 1 item can make the diference.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
As others have said, looks like my problem's definitely been gear. I bought a couple more pieces on the AH and the gameplay experience changed dramatically.

I was holding onto too many low-lvl rares. Should it be a rule of thumb that as long as a weapon gives a positive gain in damage, use it, regardless of the other secondary stats?

For a while too I was trying to ignore gear that had a lot of Str and Dex for example, but I realize now half your stats will be something you don't need because the majority of gear has other stats on it.
Reply Quote
Gear Up!
Reply Quote
Craft stuff from blacksmith. Find yellow gear with sockets. Use whatever max level gem you can (you won't lose them, you can safely remove them for a tiny amount of money whenever).
Reply Quote
Try using firebomb with roll the bones as your primary.

It beats the hell out of dart.

I also recommend Hex with Hedge Magic + an escape move like spirit walk or horrify.... although enemies can be immune to horrify which makes no sense to me.

I picked Zombie Charger with Undeath rune as my secondary but I also liked Acid Cloud with Lob Blob Bomb.

I used the other two slots for Fetish Army with Ambush and Gargantuan with Restless Giant.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure how your stats are so low, I don't buy from auction house, and simply from drops, but I've got 418 int and 307 vit, with 472 dps, and over 3k hp. And I'm level 35.

You must just be getting really unfortunate in drops, or just not using good items. Like others have said, craft stuff, but your stats just seem so low for where you are, granted I'm having a pretty easy time on Act 1 nightmare, so maybe my stats are just a little high for where I am.

Definitely look for vit in gear tho, it helps a lot in surviving. Going just pure damage I feel like is suicide.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]