Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Weapons Build

I have some questions...

#1:
Would you rather get a Ceremonial Knife or a Dagger? (or it doesn't really matter, but what REALLY matters are the stats you get for the weapon? Which are (1) good base dmg, (2) +dmg, (3) +int, (4) +vit, (5--Optional?) Atk Spd?)

#2:
CK/D + Mojo VS 2-Hand Staff/Axe, etc?

I noticed the 2-Hands have much higher DPS than the knives and daggers... Just wondering what the witch doctor world thinks about these! :)

Thanks a lot! :D

Could you guys give me some
Reply Quote
Witch Doctors can surprisingly use a vast array of weapons. Basically, you're looking for high Base Damage and high Int. Preferably, it'll also have Vit and a socket to put a Ruby in it. If you find any weapon that gives high Int and boosts your DPS, you wear it.
Reply Quote
I have some questions...

#1:
Would you rather get a Ceremonial Knife or a Dagger? (or it doesn't really matter, but what REALLY matters are the stats you get for the weapon? Which are (1) good base dmg, (2) +dmg, (3) +int, (4) +vit, (5--Optional?) Atk Spd?)

#2:
CK/D + Mojo VS 2-Hand Staff/Axe, etc?

I noticed the 2-Hands have much higher DPS than the knives and daggers... Just wondering what the witch doctor world thinks about these! :)

Thanks a lot! :D

Could you guys give me some

It's not true that the 2hs have higher damage... All weapons have the potential to be high dps and I'm not sure where people got the idea that 2hs are better, because I've never found one that increases my damage.. Chances are it comes down to everything else in the game. Random chance. You are probably just encountering a lot of good 2h weapons.

At the moment I'm sitting on 2.9k dps unbuffed with a 1h and OH (level 52) and I cant for the life of me find a better weapon.
Reply Quote
2 handed weapons may have better damage, but generally have lower attack speeds therefore reducing your casting speed. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like weapon attack rate affects casting speed on spamable spells like plague of toads and firebats. Also you can equip an off-hand item if you use a one handed weapon, which will increase your INT and base damage among other stats if you find a good one.
Edited by blackkitty#1290 on 5/19/2012 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2 handed weapons may have better damage, but generally have lower attack speeds therefore reducing your casting speed. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like weapon attack rate affects casting speed on spamable spells like plague of toads and firebats

True but the DPS still is most likely better. Plus your mana is still limited, so you might as well lose maybe a second or two but do the most damage possible.
Edited by mike#1666 on 5/19/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2 handed weapons may have better damage, but generally have lower attack speeds therefore reducing your casting speed. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like weapon attack rate affects casting speed on spamable spells like plague of toads and firebats

True but the DPS still is most likely better. Plus your mana is still limited, so you might as well lose maybe a second or two but do the most damage possible.

This, with the WD's obnoxiously high mana costs for us direbat spammers, your mana ends up being your Achilles heel, not your attack speed(cast speed).

However if you're worried about it a happy medium is to use a bow, since they usually have high dps as well as good attack speed. I'm using a bow in early hell right now because it has well over 200dps, vit +intel stats, and good attack speed. Use whatever you find that gives you the most DPS and vit/intel though. 2 hander/1 hander doesn't matter much as far as I can tell.
Reply Quote
You do not want a fast attack speed as a caster. You want a weapon that hits harder and swings slower for mana purposes. If you have a fast weapon, you will do great burst damage for ~4 seconds and then you run out of mana because you were casting much too quickly.

Every caster should strive for slower weapons that hit harder because you will get significantly more out of them due to mana restrictions on fast attack speeds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Actually, according to the book information, you do want a swift ceremonial knife. It says that you should use a "lightweight" ceremonial knife with damage bonus unique to the witch doctor, along with a mojo in the other hand.
Reply Quote
Actually, according to the book information, you do want a swift ceremonial knife. It says that you should use a "lightweight" ceremonial knife with damage bonus unique to the witch doctor, along with a mojo in the other hand.

I just don't get why this is the case, I can see that Blizzard seems to want us to do this, since the witch doctor only weapons are like that, but based on the skill descriptions, it just doesn't seem to make sense. There are some skills like haunt that do x% of weapon damage spread out over y seconds. If you have a fast lightweight weapon, your 'weapon damage' is very low and the skill will be far less effective, unless they somehow take the weapon's attack speed into consideration but I haven't seen any information yet to suggest that they do (hence the reason I was browsing these forums looking for more info), may just have to run some experiments in-game to find out :p .
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Mimijack

Please tell me you're not referring to the Brady guide for information on builds for your characters. Those books are so overpriced and never have correct information in them.
Reply Quote
In this order :

DPS -> atk / seconds -> Int.

Weapon type doesn't really matter at all.
Reply Quote
I have been using a 2h staff as a level 30 WD I seem to do fine i've just been looking for items with high int
Reply Quote
You do not want a fast attack speed as a caster. You want a weapon that hits harder and swings slower for mana purposes. If you have a fast weapon, you will do great burst damage for ~4 seconds and then you run out of mana because you were casting much too quickly.

Every caster should strive for slower weapons that hit harder because you will get significantly more out of them due to mana restrictions on fast attack speeds.

It depends on your build. If your build isn't mana intensive then fast attack speed is great. If you're using a spam build then you'll want a two hander.
Edited by Quixotic#1924 on 5/20/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on your build.

If you are spamming high mana inefficient spells then you want to use a weapon with high base damage, this will almost always be a slow two-handed weapon.

Recently I've changed my build to Poison Dart-Splinter + Firebomb+Roll the Dead kite build, in this case you want a fast weapon as you will take far too many hits and enemies will gain too much ground if you use a slow weapon. Trying to Splinter Dart kite with a 0.95speed weapon and a 1.5speed weapon is like night and day
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Well, I just equipped my first mojo doll to go with my ceremonial knife and I'm doing well with it. DPS is important whether you're a caster or not, so a faster weapon with a slightly lower damage rate does work better. It doesn't really matter how fast you're "swinging" the knife because the DPS seems to affect whatever type of damage you're doing, whether melee or casting. I don't know if that's true, but it sure is how it seems to me in this particular game. Now sure, if my rogue (to the left here) was using a caster weapon, she couldn't do crap, but in this game all the characters can use a wide variety of weapons, and as long as they have the right stats, they seem to make the fighting work. After all, I'm carrying a knife, yet one of my skills is to shoot darts - that doesn't take a knife to do. But the stats on my knife are still making my darts hit better.
Edited by Momicajack#1495 on 5/21/2012 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
its simple. you have to decide based on your build and play style. abilities essentially use your "per swing" or "per attack" damage.

30dps on a spammable ability essentially means 30dps.
but 30dps on a nonspammable ability has less meaning than the per attack value.

for max output using spammable abilities (no cooldown or overwritable duration), higher DPS on paper means higher DPS output and you can largely ignore per attack damage as you still get full value (ignoring mana).

for max output using nonspammable abilities (has a cooldown, or a duration that can be overwritten (ie, dots)), higher per attack damage means higher dps output. a high dps value thats too fast could actually be worse than a smallers dps value with a slow speed. depends on that magic per attack value.

examples:
30 dps, 1.5 aps (attacks per second) translates to 20 dmg per hit.
-spamming darts get 20dmg per hit and 30dps.
-a 5second dot does 20dmg total, in 5 ticks of 4dmg each.....4 dps

25 dps, 1.0 aps translates to 25 dmg per hit.
-spamming darts get 25dmg per hit and 25dps.
-a 5second dot does 25dmg total, in 5 ticks of 5dmg each....5 dps

pick your build and pick your weapons accordingly.
Edited by fuckblizzard#1640 on 5/23/2012 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
you dont need to worry about mana once you get high enough, the build i use i always have full mana and spam zombie bears that can crit for up to 25-30k
Reply Quote
hi could you please explain how to used the knife? it wont get in any slot and i cant find a direct answer yet. ty
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]