Diablo® III

Elemental Arrow vs Twin Chakram

I am trying to decide what my main hatred spender will be for Mobs. Both Elemental Arrow with Lightning Ball and Twin Chakram seem to decent dmg to multiple mobs. What do people prefer to use?

Also would Impale with Stun be the best single target for champion/bosses?
Reply Quote
I've found Lightning Ball more useful than my other AoE options, both due to the AoE range and because it's capable of striking 2-3 times to exceed its damage estimate (depends on range fired or whether you kite a mob with it). If you want to see something hilarious, unload a full hatred pool of Ball Lightning into something that has the 'Slows Projectiles' field.

Edit: I haven't tested Twin Chakram at my new damage, though. I intend to do more work with it in Inferno later today.
Edited by Caffeine#1182 on 5/20/2012 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Currently Using this. Any tips?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXVZ!bYe!YaaZba
Reply Quote
I prefer elemental arrows, specifically the screaming skulls.
Reply Quote
29 Blood Elf Paladin
bola shot and impale l2p
Reply Quote
Use Element Arrow in tight area's like doorways and dungeons. Shakrams are better in open area's, and also really helpful to note. In parts of Act 3, Shakrams travel from one height plane to another, so you can sit above your targets or below them, and shoot them when they cannot hit you.
Reply Quote
Double Chakrams + Stampede + Bait The Trap + Covering Fire.

Just switched to 2h Xbow and Quiver with this setup, my dualwield was really good but the MASSIVE dps bonus with this is undeniable. Simply get som more IAS on other stuff.

The setup above is badass both in single play and multi play, I switch between entangle and various damage main skills and generally use some type of vault for the extra evasion when needed.

My big question is when and how do demon hunters get survivability? I've got 1000 dex at lvl 55 but my hp and armor and resistances are really low (2 shotted by most annoying things and 1 shotted by the really annoying things). I avoid attacks really well but it's nice not being paniced so much of the time and able to soak a few hits.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Okay.

Here's the thing. Double Chakrams is good when you're not pressed for time. It's great, actually. On the early parts of the game, nothing says destruction like a full load of Hatred worth of Chakrams being unloaded as fast as possible.

The reality is, once the game gets tougher and mobs get stronger, your ability to simply stand and simply spam Glaives wildly wherever you want just disappears. Glaives have a huge number of downsides that simply make them an unreliable choice in the face of better choices.

1) They can't be used in anything even remotely approaching an enclosed space. And this goes in more scenarios than people think. You can't use them from an open area at creatures held or stoppered in doorways or enclosures. You can't be in an alcove or near a wall firing at creatures in the open. And they'll also stop to hit in random thing in their way, even in areas that are relatively clearly.

2) They have no ability to be accurately used. In any situation where you're trying to hit a fast creature, or one creature in particular, your solution is the same. Spam Chakrams and kill everything. But you don't need everything dead. You need ONE thing dead. Chakrams are a waste in these scenarios.

3) They're almost entirely useless in a situation that requires you to be hugely mobile and kite.

4) They give you nothing except damage. No slows, no poisons, no damage increases or anything.

Compare it to something like Impale> Overpenetration or Elemental Arrow with almost any of the perks (Nether, Frost and Shock are all very good for obvious reasons) and there's just no real contest.

Hope that helps. I was a huge Chakram fan for most of normal, but... Sorry. It's just not very good in the face of better options. (A big problem with it, for the record, is that it gets it's best Rune very early in the game and that rune FEELS like it should have just been the default ability. Once the other base abilities get stronger runes, Dual Chakram is just easily outpaced)
Reply Quote
chakram isnt really that viable later.

ball lightning is hands down the best for corridors and choke points.

It's also pretty easy to line the mobs up for ball lightning in open field especially with caltrop.
Reply Quote
Caltrops and Stampede, dual chakrams are working great so far in hell. There are very few places where they don't work for me overall. Very few objects are designed as solid against chakrams and in those situations my other damage skills easily handle it.

If you're not butchering with this skill you're doing something wrong xD
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
If you've put Dual Chakrams up against Overpenetration Impale or Frost Arrow and found CHAKRAMS better, then you're doing something wrong :P
Reply Quote
Well, chakrams simply do the trick vs every group of mobs apart from some special units. Apart from a few of the more painful special abilities some mobs get I am slacking my way through hell in bad gear doing very nice damage.

I tried frost arrow for a while but it simply didn't aoe well enough for me. My build already provides more than enough time and damage away from mobs whilst also standing still relaxed to spamfire.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I prefer a combination of FoK and Impale/Overpenetration
Reply Quote
EA- Lightning Ball is better suited for v narrow places where chackrams gets stoped. It also covers the area equally with no missed mobs however it needs to hit twice to do its said damage thats why its not good for fast mobs and open areas.

Twin Chakrams dont cover the area equaly - damage is donr multiple times to targets in the middle and one time to the sides. There is also chance for spell to miss totaly (a single cast not a rain of them :] ). IT does better in open spaces.

Also as TChakrams seem to be less effective with single cast , lightning ball is more hit and run friendly.
Edited by Attero#1917 on 5/20/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I used Elemental Arrow with ball lighting until I was high enough level to swap it for nether tentacles.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
05/20/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Bakke
bola shot and impale l2p

lol no
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Bakke
bola shot and impale l2p

Doesn't work after Nightmare.
Reply Quote
Okay.

Here's the thing. Double Chakrams is good when you're not pressed for time. It's great, actually. On the early parts of the game, nothing says destruction like a full load of Hatred worth of Chakrams being unloaded as fast as possible.

The reality is, once the game gets tougher and mobs get stronger, your ability to simply stand and simply spam Glaives wildly wherever you want just disappears. Glaives have a huge number of downsides that simply make them an unreliable choice in the face of better choices.

1) They can't be used in anything even remotely approaching an enclosed space. And this goes in more scenarios than people think. You can't use them from an open area at creatures held or stoppered in doorways or enclosures. You can't be in an alcove or near a wall firing at creatures in the open. And they'll also stop to hit in random thing in their way, even in areas that are relatively clearly.

2) They have no ability to be accurately used. In any situation where you're trying to hit a fast creature, or one creature in particular, your solution is the same. Spam Chakrams and kill everything. But you don't need everything dead. You need ONE thing dead. Chakrams are a waste in these scenarios.

3) They're almost entirely useless in a situation that requires you to be hugely mobile and kite.

4) They give you nothing except damage. No slows, no poisons, no damage increases or anything.

Compare it to something like Impale> Overpenetration or Elemental Arrow with almost any of the perks (Nether, Frost and Shock are all very good for obvious reasons) and there's just no real contest.

Hope that helps. I was a huge Chakram fan for most of normal, but... Sorry. It's just not very good in the face of better options. (A big problem with it, for the record, is that it gets it's best Rune very early in the game and that rune FEELS like it should have just been the default ability. Once the other base abilities get stronger runes, Dual Chakram is just easily outpaced)

I'd agree with Banaritza here. Twin Chakrams are good, but only situationally. Should you find yourself in an enclosed space with corridors, or even next to a wall, or near an indestructible object, you'll find your Twin Chakrams being ineffective. Also, I did some testing and found that Twin Chakrams have some sort of a dead zone directly in front of your character. And I definitely had a lot of problems trying to hit a target that is moving towards me, as opposed to Elemental Arrow + Ball lightning. My favourite trick when soloing is to have my templar body block a door and I simply fire Ball Lightnings into the room.

Also, one more thing I'd like to point out, Ball Lightning's aoe zone is similar to Twin Chakram's maximum radius, and, it travels quite a distance off screen. Twin Chakrams seem to have shorter range, and again, theres a deadzone, ie the Chakrams dont "meet" at the end of their range, they terminate about 8-10 yards from each other.

I'm still trying to work with Impale, so far having less luck than Ball Lightning. Do I need the -Impale Hatred cost items to make it work? 25 hatred to deal 250% damage seems less efficient as compared to 10 hatred to deal 155% (once when target is moving towards you, twice when target is standing still, and 3+ times when target is moving away from you. Targets under a Missile Dampening Field get hit until they die usually).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]