Diablo® III

5.1 surround? Dolby?

I have D3 running rather well on my HTPC which is connected to my Onkyo 607 Dolby Amp via SPDIF.

Im only getting Stereo sound which is rather worrying. I cant seem to find any settings to enable surround sound/multichannel /pcm or dolby.

Please dont tell me a game like this is only stereo.?
Reply Quote
I got the same issues with a Realtek onboard Soundchip on a Gigabyte P35DS4 with my Yamaha 459 AVR(conneted via SPDIF).
I already tried to swith between low-high sound channels without an efffect...

Due to the fact that there are no further audio options.....Is it a bug or is there no surround sound?
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem too. well, my amp will upmix it to dobly prologic or neural surroung or neo:6 but to get the game to actually output the dolby digital that it says it will is beyond me. the dolby logos are on the back of the game box but changing the settings in audio does nothing

Also, you won't be able to get any uncompressed audio (pcm etc) on an htpc over an SPDIF cable, optical audio cables only do compressed audio. you'd need HDMI connections to do anything like that

to those of you that have your computers hooked up through an HDMI cable to a receiver. If you set your speaker settings in your sound card to 5.1/7.1 you will be able to get PCM (uncompressed audio) out of diablo 3. it might make a different, I have never had it set to anything different but the surround sound is pretty badass
Edited by djkorben#1146 on 5/21/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I run my HTPC via Optical to Digital Coax converter and off to the amp. Works perfectly fine for Tv shows n blurays - get fully dolby / dts. I will check the speaker configuration in windows.
Reply Quote
Any idea what is the best sound card to use this with? Dont know what is good these days?. Always been temped to upgrade over Onboard but.....onboard works ok.

Obviously connected to a amp, i need high quality sound otherwise it will sound naff.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:49 AMPosted by richsmif
I run my HTPC via Optical to Digital Coax converter and off to the amp. Works perfectly fine for Tv shows n blurays - get fully dolby / dts. I will check the speaker configuration in windows.

I updated to latest Realtek 2012 drivers, still same. Looking at the configuration though, if you go through "speakers" it allows 5.1 sound. If you go via SPDIF, ie optical/coax, you only get stereo, windows does not show you surround because thats done by the amp. Which is what i want obviously.
When i test Dolby or DTS, the amp clicks and switchs over so i know it works. The problem is the game itself it not outputting a Dolby complient signal or multichannel PCM audio stream. Rather annoying.
Reply Quote
It sounds like D3 is not using the passthrough, but using the native multichannel on the onboard/coundcard. I'm guessing it would work if you use the 3.5mm jacks to acheive surround sound, but it will be dependant on cable and the quality of your onboard/soundcard then. Might be preferable to stereo anyway.
Reply Quote
Exactly the problem. D3 needs to pass through surround sound. My amp is central to everything HDMI, PS3 & PC all work perfectly the way they are setup, so im not prepared to change that.

I hope blizzard sort this.
Reply Quote
A lot, if not most, PC games don't support/work with 5.1 through the optical cable. Check the internet for solutions etc.

You could try turning the sound detail up to max and using the prologic etc settings on your system and see how that goes. The sound is quite submersive on a pair of headphones and the decoders/converters of late model amps are quite good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I have my HTPC hooked into my Pioneer 1021 via HDMI. When I use auto-surround mode it comes through as PCM and sounds great.
Reply Quote
I got a solution for SPDIF via NON-Optical cable:

If your motherboard supports it then go to control panel->sound->digital output->properties>advanced->sound format
Then choose(if supported) DTS:Interactive 5.1.
Click apply and ok.

After that you will have 5.1 sound ingame(the menu only has 2.0).
Reply Quote
i had same problem..
what you need is.. dolby digital live or dts connect
check : http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital
and read the live section

i just bought this soundcard:Club 3D Theatron DD
it cost me 46 euro
the sound is much better and i get dolby d from my pc all the time now
i connect my soundcard to my yamaha reciever through optical cable.

hope this helps
good luck
Reply Quote
I am running HTPC Gigabyte Z77X-UD-5H to Denon 4310ci with HDMI cable. Have Denon set to auto and shows Multi channel in PCM. In game the sound distorts and drops out. I go to options and change the channel setting. Works for a bit then repeat, any ideas?
Reply Quote
Hello, i have a Logitech G35 USB, and the 5.1 surround works fine, but if i want to send 5.1 to my receiver, it doesn't work correctly. My receiver supports DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, and other features. I use a optical interface (S/PDIF) but can't get the real 5.1... - Please help me solve this problem.. :)
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 07:53 AMPosted by LouisC
Hello, i have a Logitech G35 USB, and the 5.1 surround works fine, but if i want to send 5.1 to my receiver, it doesn't work correctly. My receiver supports DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, and other features. I use a optical interface (S/PDIF) but can't get the real 5.1... - Please help me solve this problem.. :)

Same thing here. I can get 5.1 in other applications, but not in Diablo 3 (in-game), even after trying 5.1, Dolby and other settings. My HT doesn't seem to support DTS, but is Dolby Digital, Dolby Prologic II, etc, compatible.
Reply Quote
Hmm usually when games use dolby digital logo its mostly the pre recorded stuff like cinematics and ect. There are barely no games using Dolby where your reciever decodes real time. Your best shot is to use DTS connect funtions or Dolby digital live the most simple way to encode atm or at least what i Think. creative usually has these Technologies. IT mixes 2channel to 5.1. This is the sad part that games have nice graphix and all but overall the lack of 3D sound sucks !@# wich is a major letdown if u ask me.

Here is a link to help u abit:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-live.html
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]