Diablo® III

Is Imperious just a punching bag?

Spoilers

In the game we see Imperious get beaten up by Tyrael and Diablo then he falls over after diablo reaches the arch. It's not really that cool to see someone who always seems to lose...well lose. It doesn't really seem to be a show of power. I know the book about him says something like "he is the most powerful angel", seems like Tyrael is/was.

I also like how the angels are so weak that when diablo comes up there and they are all immediately impaled or corrupted. The rocket pack demons are too powerful....
Reply Quote
Diablo in act 4 = Prime Evil (Tathamet incarnate)
Reply Quote
Tyrael did take the upper hand in Act 2 cinematic, but that's just a minor scuffle, nothing serious. Act 4 diablo is just way to powerful for any angel to handle alone, besides, he did killed all those oppressor demons.
Reply Quote
Basically he's just a forced foil for Tyrael, to show how 'good' he is compared to other angels.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, he was still jamming after getting stabbed, so I didn't get the impression that he was weak.
Reply Quote

Act 4 diablo is just way to powerful for any angel to handle alone

but he is weak enough to get killed by a some homeless hobo with a stick ?
I mean !@#$ing prime evil, one of creators of the world, gets killed by some half naked barbarian who shouts at him and hits him with a broken branch of a tree, gg blizzard, %^-*ing gg
( played a barbarian and used a wooden mace as a weapon, used shouts and jump for skills)
Reply Quote
this whole nephalem concept largely ruins the diablo experience storywise. In DII you defeated prime and lesser evils despite being a mere mortal.

Now with this nephalem concept we are supposed to have power that is greater than that of angels and demons and your character is constantly taunting Belial and Azmodan, who both act like complete retards, despite being ancient lords of hell. This takes away a lot of the magic of the lore/story.
Edited by Dirach#1299 on 5/28/2012 4:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

but he is weak enough to get killed by a some homeless hobo with a stick ?
I mean !@#$ing prime evil, one of creators of the world, gets killed by some half naked barbarian who shouts at him and hits him with a broken branch of a tree, gg blizzard, %^-*ing gg
( played a barbarian and used a wooden mace as a weapon, used shouts and jump for skills)

Nephalem are stronger than angels and demons combined.
You are nephalem.
At least, your character is.
As for you, you're an idiot.

lol'd
Reply Quote

Nephalem are stronger than angels and demons combined.
You are nephalem.
At least, your character is.
As for you, you're an idiot.

guess i must have missed the fact when my character willed a whole planet into existence
unless the sign of a powerful creature is the fact he can jump high, then yeah the barbarian is strong as hell
Reply Quote
Imperius would probably beat Tyrael in a head on 1vs1 fight.

It would be a close fight though.
Edited by Dioblastoise#1730 on 5/28/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I forgot where it was stated but it said that Tyrael and Imperius were both the strongest angels in the high heavens and that they were both equals in strength.

If Tyrael was still an angel, he would have shared the same fate as Imperius if he decided to go 1 on 1 with Diablo.
Reply Quote
he could have had more of a impact in the ending scene for exemple
he could be the one to toss diablos body off the ledge and cause the ending where the
blacksoulstone falls to Sanctuary

i agree with the OP he was a largelly miss used character
Reply Quote
or maybe better
he could just ram into the dying diablo before the player could finish him
out of pure rage and they both fall into Sanctuary

1000 possibilities of making a better ending
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Groovu
I forgot where it was stated but it said that Tyrael and Imperius were both the strongest angels in the high heavens and that they were both equals in strength.

From the book of Cain:

" As with Imperius, Tyrael's exploits in battle are stuff of legend."
Edited by Dioblastoise#1730 on 5/28/2012 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this whole nephalem concept largely ruins the diablo experience storywise. In DII you defeated prime and lesser evils despite being a mere mortal.

Now with this nephalem concept we are supposed to have power that is greater than that of angels and demons and your character is constantly taunting Belial and Azmodan, who both act like complete retards, despite being ancient lords of hell. This takes away a lot of the magic of the lore/story.

In DII, you defeat Nephalem guardians in order to progress to the World Stone. They've been in the lore since then, so I don't understand what you mean.

Perhaps, it's the fault of the Sin Wars books where Uldyssian was literally god moding the entire book. That I kind of understand, and it left a bad taste in my mouth to have such an invincible main character. But Uldyssian and your character are "unique" cases. Super powered Nephalems aren't a dime a dozen.
Reply Quote
In the game we see Imperious get beaten up by Tyrael and Diablo then he falls over after diablo reaches the arch. It's not really that cool to see someone who always seems to lose...well lose. It doesn't really seem to be a show of power. I know the book about him says something like "he is the most powerful angel", seems like Tyrael is/was.

Is he a punching bag? well ill say this... he is a jerk and deserved to get his bum taken down a few notches. he needed to learn that he is not the be all, end all warrior for good. i would have loved to fight imperious as a boss and beat him to the point of death but then held back. showing him who was the greater embodiment of valor.
Reply Quote
This is a common trait of "good guys" in fantasy media. No matter how powerful they´re stated to be, the villain will dominate them easily. We know the obvious dramaturgical logic behind this: the threat needs to be great in order for the mortal hero to be in the center. Won´t make a good story otherwise.

But I also agree that this cliché becomes a little bit silly sometimes. Imperius gets his butt kicked after ten seconds. Tyrael is unable to stand against Diablo and Baal, both in weak, mortal forms. Angels are corruptable as a drop of wine in water.
You think that demons "fall upwards" anytime? But the abscense of good demons in this media is also due to drama: Fall from grace is way more interesting than redemption of evil.

However, in Diablo 2´s Act 3 cinematic, during the fight between Tyrael and Diablo, the good guy is actually dominating for a moment! Diablo tries to escape, but Tyrael snatches his wings around him and pulls him down. Then Tyrael climbs on top of Diablo and thrusts his fist around Diablos neck! A gesture that is usually reserved for the bad guy! I so loved Tyrael in that cinematic :)
Reply Quote
This is why I liked the Wrath video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/videos/?keywords=&view#/wrath-trailer
It sets up some characterization for Imperius. He fights Diablo (briefly) without either really gaining the upper hand.

Even in the Act 4 intro, he puts up a pretty good fight despite facing a drastically superior foe (he draws first blood, and would have done fine if Diablo hadn't unexpectedly been strong enough to shatter his spear). Even getting impaled didn't completely stop him, and he's rushing back into the fight in the very next scene.

...he is pretty consistently portrayed in a fairly unlikeable manner, though. Short-tempered, impulsive, overconfident, and prideful. As an angel, he seems to be on the brink of Falling.
Edited by Meteoric#1962 on 5/29/2012 2:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]