Diablo® III

Is Imperious just a punching bag?

This is why I liked the Wrath video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/videos/?keywords=&view#/wrath-trailer
It sets up some characterization for Imperius. He fights Diablo (briefly) without either really gaining the upper hand.

Even in the Act 4 intro, he puts up a pretty good fight despite facing a drastically superior foe (he draws first blood, and would have done fine if Diablo hadn't unexpectedly been strong enough to shatter his spear). Even getting impaled didn't completely stop him, and he's rushing back into the fight in the very next scene.

...he is pretty consistently portrayed in a fairly unlikeable manner, though. Short-tempered, impulsive, overconfident, and prideful. As an angel, he seems to be on the brink of Falling.

I really hope that redeeming or restoring the Angiris council comes up in the expansion.
Reply Quote
I forgot where it was stated but it said that Tyrael and Imperius were both the strongest angels in the high heavens and that they were both equals in strength.

If Tyrael was still an angel, he would have shared the same fate as Imperius if he decided to go 1 on 1 with Diablo.

I believe in the books you find in heaven when you get the book on Imperious it says he is "The strongest warrior to ever have existed". There is no reason why he should be getting beaten up at every turn. He really needed a show of power, and not just a bad attitude coupled with no constantly being shamed. It was just a botched character.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Kafka
I believe in the books you find in heaven when you get the book on Imperious it says he is "The strongest warrior to ever have existed". There is no reason why he should be getting beaten up at every turn. He really needed a show of power, and not just a bad attitude coupled with no constantly being shamed. It was just a botched character.

I know the book you mean; I checked in-game and it calls him "the greatest warrior in all of creation". The entry is written by "Selathiel, Angiris Scribe", so it's not necessarily an unbiased opinion.
But this is pretty consistent with what we've seen him do: fight Diablo to a standstill, then kill him with a single blow (Wrath video); force the Prime Evil to unmask, then put up a decent fight despite not even knowing how badly he was outclassed; keep fighting despite grievous wounds.

Yes, he's got a bit of the Worf effect going on. But being a great warrior, even the greatest warrior, doesn't mean you cannot lose.

...plus, hey, he oneshots a screenful of demons just by landing. He's clearly not a pushover.
Reply Quote
Also, didn't Imperius literally create Sanctuary, per the game manual?

Dude is a pretty major character, and we will likely see much more of him in the expansion.
Reply Quote
No, that's Inarius.
Reply Quote
That actually would be Very awsome! instead of our characters kicking these stupid !@# demon's , Since diablo is the prime now..shouldnt he or she be invincible!?
Reply Quote
Imperious has 3 Duties in Heaven. THREE DUTIES.

1. Embody Valor and look awesome.

2. Be a douchebag (but still awesome).

3. Get his !@#$ kicked.

Employee of the month man, employee of the month right there!
Reply Quote
The more I think about it, the more I believe that what Imperius needs is a hug.

:)
Reply Quote
To all you kids that haven't paid attention to the lore...

Diablo as the Prime Evil is NOT Tethamet, Tethamets heads became the seven evils and his body the burning hells.

Imperious did NOT create the Heavens, Anu's body did and his eye the world stone.

And neither of them created sanctuary, a handful of demons and angels that got fed up with the BS did.

tl;dr, know your lore before you try to stab holes in it.
Edited by JesusV2#1317 on 6/3/2012 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The more I think about it, the more I believe that what Imperius needs is a hug.

:)

I agree wholeheartedly!

I'll get on it right away.
Reply Quote
Eh, Tyrael and Imperious are most likely very equally matched (neither won when they "fought"). If they ever did fight to the death, it would likely end with the victor being very wounded themself.

Imperious lost to Diablo in D3 because Diablo was the Prime Evil at that point and had the strength of all other Evils; at this point no one is stopping him other than your character.

As for the comments about nephalem being too strong.. Most nephalem, like the fellow npc with abilities in the game - are nothing special. You, the main character, are basically a "Neo" type character who is "The One".
Reply Quote

but he is weak enough to get killed by a some homeless hobo with a stick ?
I mean !@#$ing prime evil, one of creators of the world, gets killed by some half naked barbarian who shouts at him and hits him with a broken branch of a tree, gg blizzard, %^-*ing gg
( played a barbarian and used a wooden mace as a weapon, used shouts and jump for skills)

Nephalem are stronger than angels and demons combined.
You are nephalem.
At least, your character is.
As for you, you're an idiot.

Not all Nephalem are stronger than angels and demons.

Some Nephalem are stronger than some angels and some demons.

Like the demons and angels there is a wide range of Nephalem power levels.

While the two strongest Nephalem to ever exist were stronger than any of the Archangels or any of the demon lords, this alone doesn't allow us to say with surety that all Nephalem were stronger or that either of those two strongest Nephalem would be stronger than Anu or the demon dragon.
Edited by Shahadem#1174 on 6/10/2012 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I assume Tyrael bested Imperious in the cut scene because Imperious was judging "Justice" so Tyrael got the up hand. Beside that i assume Imperious is the better fighter.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Priest
It states in the Diablo wiki and game that Imperius is the greatest warrior in all creation. That means heaven and he'll and all of the demons and angels. Even the greatest warriors lose sometimes. Ali was the greatest he loss. Ty real and masthead are certainly up there with imperius their skills lie else where besides pure battle. In Diablo 3 all seven of the great evils combine and house imperius. What would ali do if he faced 7 of the other greatest boxers combined into one.
Reply Quote
I think it's not so much that all Nephalem are stronger than both angels and demons, but rather, some or all Nephalem have the "potential" to be stronger than both angels and demons.

Had Diablo become the Prime Evil in Act I (first play through), a hundred of our brand of Nephalem would have just been turned into a slick red goo to cover Tristram in.

It seems that the more we use our powers, the stronger we become. So as we progressed through the game, the more disgustingly powerful we get. By the time we get to Act III, we are walking centers of carnage. And by Act IV, we are downright demi-gods of fury.

After this, we continue to play the game, gearing up and slaying demons. So as players, it's almost a joke how much death we can deal to the enemies in game. But remember, that by the time we are raking in Paragon points, we are the champions who bested the Prime Evil at the end of the game.

I think the story takes into account that we grew stronger over time, and didn't walk into Tristram with 800 Paragon levels and full Legendary equipment.
Reply Quote
I think the reason tyreal won the scuffle too could be because he is the embodiment of justice, and in his domain, he cannot not lose to tyreal in "righteousness" which is what the fight was about. lol this reasoning though seems to completely ignore battle prowess but that could be the case.
Reply Quote
Still surprises me that Diablo didn't took a small initiative to finish off a mortal Tyrael who was waiting at the bottom of the Crystal Arch stairs.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 07:20 PMPosted by FateZero
Still surprises me that Diablo didn't took a small initiative to finish off a mortal Tyrael who was waiting at the bottom of the Crystal Arch stairs.

Diablo was too busy talking !@#$ to actually accomplish anything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]