Diablo® III

Legendaries... are they underpowered?

I see a lot of people !@#$%ing about how legendary are grossly underpowered compared to blues etc. After scouting the auction house a bit yesterday I came across next to 0 perfect legendary. People are to quick to bash the loot systems. Sure I could buy a 2 hand blue item with 1200 damage, vs the current highest legendary ~ 900 ish. However, such items like scorn with the % chance of bleed, or other with % damage or attack speed also increase your dps by a lot. I went from a 1h shield with about 8k damage (1h had 361 damage with stats etc) to a badly itemized scorn(131 dex on a barb, and 791 damage) and went to 12k damage. I also hear people ^-*!@ about worthless stats, and the only ones I find worthless are range of health glob pick etc. Stuff that adds magic resist or other similar stats that people find worthless because they think this game is all about damage are the ones #$%^-ing about getting destroyed by elite mobs with abilities like arcane enchanted or molten.
Reply Quote
don't legendaries work the same as other items where they get random magical bonuses?

a lot of the best items in d2c and d2e weren't uniques iirc. charsi and pskull (before pskull imbue was nerfed) imbued items had the potential to be far better than uniques. in d2e the uniques got better but a few of them were outclassed later on by items like ccbq etc.

i think the reason why blizzard overhauled the legendary item mechanics is to create a sustainable auction house. as it stands now legendaries have more magical properties than rares or blues which means the potental to create a much better legendary item exists.

i just woke up so i'm probably rambling
Edited by stimpack#1560 on 5/23/2012 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
sorry % damge and % attack speed is already in the calculated in the dps. i'm not trying to be rude but +200 stat or +5% bleed for 2000 over 5 secs = nothing comparing to an extra 300-400 dps
Edited by Sakurai#1644 on 5/23/2012 7:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ sakurai thanks for some clarification. I assumed it was calculated after because i wasn't expecting the huge dps increase that I saw when i switched weapons.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 07:27 AMPosted by Sakurai
sorry % damge and % attack speed is already in the calculated in the dps. i'm not trying to be rude but +200 stat or +5% bleed for 2000 over 5 secs = nothing comparing to an extra 300-400 dps

This.

I don't care for 300 extra armor if the ''legendary'' weapon has 500 max DPS (ex: last Breath) while a blue has 1000.... the difference is too big.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:03 AMPosted by MaFiaQc

This.

I don't care for 300 extra armor if the ''legendary'' weapon has 500 max DPS (ex: last Breath) while a blue has 1000.... the difference is too big.

yep why are the blue tier items doubling legendary.... its kinda saddening... being a big unique collector in d2 i lost all motivation to play d3
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Yes, legendaries do have potential to have alot of different stats, however, blizzard needs to re-itemize all the level 60 legendaries and sets. These should outclass the blues in every scenario. Rares are a different story, rares and craftables have always been mostly outclassed by uniques, but there has always been the few that get generated that are just ungodly powerful. In this respect, blizzard needs to re-do all the legendaries, they are just far too weak. a max of 500 dmg on a legendary being outclassed by a blue with 1100 dmg is just retarded. Not to mention a few of the weapon classes need re-balanced. Like the demon hunter hand bows can reach 1100 dmg on one of them, the problem with that is its the same as a regular bow or a crossbow, both of which have longer attack speeds and are 2 handed for the same base dmg score. Therefore, the demon hunter can efectively increase thier attack speed by nearly 30% for just dual weilding and there is no drawback to gaining this benefit. Im patient with blizzard but this desperately needs to be fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
1st let me say that I understand this is an old thread. My hope is that by me posting on it, it shows up as recent activity and maybe Blizzard will look at it and consider what we have said.

I bought this game the second it was released. I went through the same maddening attempt to play at midnight like everyone else, and tonight I just found my 2nd legendary. My 2nd one. Out of the many months Ive played. I saw the orange text on the ground and gave a little cheer as I felt lucky to have found one. But my joy was short lived as I was looking over what else was in the loot drop. A blue 1H axe was better than the legendary spear (scrimshaw) that I found in that same drop. This same thing happened when I found the Bakkan Caster, My demon hunter was happy for 2 levels until replaced by a random blue. I remember playing diablo 2 and when i found a unique it was cause for celebration. It got used for many many levels until finally replaced by a blue or rare. With how rare these legendarys are, why are they so equal to regular magic items? There's no reason to get excited about them because they are easily replaced and not exceptional save for appearance. It seems like they are just tools to be used with the auction house. Last time I checked, the Diablo series wasn't about how to make money on a market. That's what EVE Online is for. Please give me a reason to want to find these items again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]