Diablo® III

Can we get a blue post on the state of monks?

Realy its quiet obvious that monks are broken atm.
But whats even more disturbing is the lack of information handed out to people on how to fix the issue. There is not a single blue post out there considering future balance towards monks. I dont expect a change thats allready set in stone but rather some ideas they allready came up with. For example as I and many other people allready stated: One of the more fundamental problems is our ability to sustain fights. A barbarian atleast got a 1% of max hp/sec regg , MoH does less than that if you hit 60k health allready , wich is quiet easy to do and revenge to keep themselfes up atleast a bit.
If you break it down the only advantages we got over barbarians are higher resistances, wich get cancelled out by the fact the barbarians can get up to 3-4k armor more than monks, and a short cd cc breaker in the form of serenity but thats it pretty much.
Outside of Blind we got no cc whatsoever that works against champs/elites and our sustain gets worse than that of barbarians act2+.
The only thing we got to beat act2/act3 was Boon of Protection wich on its own was pretty fine if you werent using Quickening with Sweeping Wind.

So is there any dev out there that can give us some input?

Will some of our healing spells be adressed to % values?
Will there be some sort of better CC handed out to us?
Will there be something that closes the survival gap between barbarians and monks?

Just to make myself clear here , I fully understand that barbarians also have a harsh time on inferno but seeing my friends running barb in act2/3 without too much problems thanks to a better scaling systems they are atleast somewhat viable. The Monk as a whole is just flat out broken atm and I strongly believe that the devs are allready on the same track considering the issue. It would just be nice to get some info other than: "We make BoP useless and redesign it in a future patch."

For the sake of information here are my stats:

I run around in full act 3 gear and cant beat act 2 solo in any way

8.5k armor (seize the initative+deadly reach 50% armir boost)
19% block
500 on all resis
16k dps infight
48k hp

Come on monk brothers , let blizzard hear our voices :)
Edited by Bamboopirate#2100 on 5/24/2012 2:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel your pain, I'm only in hell mode, and though I've found ways to survive I can't help but look at my friends playing other classes and see how green the grass is. lvl 57 btw, so it's not like I'm a total noob.
Reply Quote
yes we are completely broken it was fine before they just nerfed mantra of healing now we are screwed before i could solo champs and elites on hell and now i get 1 or 2 shotted and yes barbs are OP as hell it doesnt make sense they just stand in !@#$ all day and it doesnt matter BLIZZ FIX US NAO!!! %^-* isnt right before we at least had some survivability but now there is nothing we just get 1 shotted
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 02:48 AMPosted by Hashadactyl
yes we are completely broken it was fine before they just nerfed mantra of healing now we are screwed before i could solo champs and elites on hell and now i get 1 or 2 shotted and yes barbs are OP as hell it doesnt make sense they just stand in !@#$ all day and it doesnt matter BLIZZ FIX US NAO!!! %^-* isnt right before we at least had some survivability but now there is nothing we just get 1 shotted

I can understand your frustration , but dont go around calling barbarians op.
As i stated before barbarians arent in a good spot, they are just slightly better than we are, in the form that they actually scale with gear.

Its still miles to go as a barbarian to be as effective as a DH/Wiz or even a WD.

It all boils down to not beeing ranged gives you way too much disedvantages. the point of beeing one shoted as a ranged dd is pretty invalid when the same is true for melee characters.

I dont want this to become a rage thread, keeping it on the front page to maybe get a blue awnser would be more than enough.
Reply Quote
i completely agree with op... i am having a difficult time with inferno as well.
Reply Quote
1+
Reply Quote

19% block
500 on all resis
16k dps infight
48k hp

If you can't beat Act 2 solo with those stats, the class isn't the problem. I beat Belial today, solo, with half your hp, half your armor, 180 less resists. Though I did have about 1k more dps, I would happily trade it to not be one shot.

Make a better build and learn mobility.

The class isn't underpowered. Mages and DH are overpowered.

The game is supposed to be hard.
Reply Quote
92 Troll Druid
Even acknowledging that monks are not in a good place right now and will be looked at would be pretty nice at this point. Instead of simply nerfing the few comforts we do have.
Reply Quote

19% block
500 on all resis
16k dps infight
48k hp

If you can't beat Act 2 solo with those stats, the class isn't the problem. I beat Belial today, solo, with half your hp, half your armor, 180 less resists. Though I did have about 1k more dps, I would happily trade it to not be one shot.

Make a better build and learn mobility.

The class isn't underpowered. Mages and DH are overpowered.

The game is supposed to be hard.

i am not talking about piss easy bosses here lol. i can solo belia np, the blue trash is giving us all a headache. with those stats i can prolly solo diablo but whats that worth without the ability to farm?
Reply Quote
Realy its quiet obvious that monks are broken atm.
But whats even more disturbing is the lack of information handed out to people on how to fix the issue. There is not a single blue post out there considering future balance towards monks.

From Bashiok himself on the main Forum page:

Let me follow up by saying that in general class balance is an ongoing investigation, and by no means do we believe the game is now perfect, but we're also seeing evidence that supports (with a few nerfs to wizard and demon hunter) the monk and barbarian are not as bad off as they seem.

A large part of the monk and barbarian designs are based on survival models that mimic the concept of the class itself. The idea of a monk is that he survives through being agile and difficult to hit, and his healing and survival scales particularly well by focusing on mitigation stats like dodge, resists, and armor. The concept of the barb is that he survives through a huge health pool, and healing himself through damage (%life on hit stats), which is potentially a bit obvious with all the life return skills but can't be overstated.

The game is young, there were some skills that threw things out of whack, and we expect the landscape to settle out a bit more evenly. Or at least change again so we can continue to monitor the impact. Maybe we're wrong, maybe there's no current chance for monk or barbarian to compete with ranged, but our current suspicion is that's incorrect and until we know for sure we're not going to turn any dials.
Edited by EasyMode#1454 on 5/24/2012 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
well thats nice in theory , but tell me how can this ever work?

barbarians got higher passive avoidance in the same gear as we do, also there are diminishing returns in the dmg mitgation.

to make nonscaling heals usefull through higher mitgation we would need a higher passive mitgation than barbarians have atm.
Having the highest reistances is a nice advantage but it pretty much gets negated by the insane amounts of bonus armor barbarians get.

i started over today with a deadly reach build putting all my faith into kiting and a 50k dps kit, i dont think the intended way to play monk is a short range mage though.

edit: also that post isn´t realy specific regarding the monk class. id like to see something with more evidence that blizzard is allready working on a solution for the issue. Or atleast a more specific communication with the monk community would be nice. Its just sad that after so many posts may they be rage/flame/whine-posts and actually many with constructive critism there isnt a single blue post regarding monks in a more specific way. I looked through the german/EU/Us forums and not a single post from the devs. Just reminds me of the treatment shamans got in burning crusade/WotLK.
Edited by Bamboopirate#2100 on 5/24/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think our CC is fine, along with all the rune combinations and passives + Blind and SSS.

We need better sources of spirit regen and to receive spirit from immune mobs.

I agree with the thought that spirit regen should be a quick buff when we attack. (ie. hit something, get spirit regen over 3 or 5 seconds) rather than an on-hit effect. Although I still need to try some builds switching up the various spirit regen abilities/mantras.

Our heals DO need to scale with items or be a flat %.
Edited by EasyMode#1454 on 5/24/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I still dont get why they didnt scale with %health to begin with.

Playing a monk in normal/nightmare was insanely boring for me you just breez through everything smashing random buttons. Even hell was extremely easy. Whily playing my wizard on nightmare it was actually somewhat challenging on certain elite packs.

The non-scaling heals actually created the biggest problem:

First of all you got the wrong feeling about the class, I didnt feel like a shaolin/spiritua brawler at all in Normal/Nightmare. I actually feared inferno would be to easy after beating hell act3 after hearing storys from some barbs how hard inferno realy is. Short said the monk didnt feel monkish or anything like a fast agile assasin. You just stood there while nothing could even scratch you. Monks are by far more OP than any other class when it comes to rushing through normal/nightmare/hell. In return we just keep falling off when we reach inferno.

Imo the best solution woul be to either buff the healing spells as said mayn times before to a %value or throw them away completely. I didnt understand why a shaolin brawler has the ability to heal to begin with and in return make us more like rogues/assasins you know? actual martial arts stuff like the assasin from D2 with a similar mechanic like revenge to keep as sustained in combat while we dash around dodging big hits and stuff.

I guess its to early to ask for a rework but i hope they will roll out some sort of balance buff soon or the gold gap between monks/barbs and wizard/DH/WD will get even greater so that we cant afford any gear of the ah anymore.

A rework for the heals to % should be the least we can hope for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]