Diablo® III

do wizards need resist in inferno?

sounds like most of us are maximizing dps so i'm guessing the answer is low hp and low resist. is that right?
Reply Quote
i had given up on this due to the capacity of any mob (even the smallest, !@#$tiest mob) to 3 shot me w/force armor in Act 2 inf (where i currently am at).

i might be thinking that people are doing this in order to be 4/5 shot instead?

id like some pro to give us feedback, thanks guys
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 09:30 AMPosted by LeSeanMcCoy
sounds like most of us are maximizing dps so i'm guessing the answer is low hp and low resist. is that right?

Ok, I'm progressing inferno on act:II and I use these stats / skills

Skills:
1. magic weapon (force weapon)
2. Familiar (spark flint)
3. Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)
4. Hydra (arcane hydra)
5. Magic Missile (Seeker) keep moving
6. Teleport (fracture)
Illusionist
Glass Cannon
Temporal Flux
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQROSj!UdY!cYacZa

Stats:
23k-HP
18.5k Buffed DPS
5k Buffed armor
500+ on each Resistance (except cold, that is 466)

Actual stat break down

Str: 378
Dex: 360
Int: 1241
Vit: 616

not a pro but you can watch us at
www.twitch.tv/plebiscite
Edited by Pleb#1724 on 5/28/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Group Build != Solo Build
Reply Quote
My Resists are all around 900. I have greatly sacrificed my DPS (~20k) for this. Now i can take quite a few hits (still not alot but i am a wizard) in act 2 inferno. I recommend resists more than anything else IMO.
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Optikal
My Resists are all around 900. I have greatly sacrificed my DPS (~20k) for this. Now i can take quite a few hits (still not alot but i am a wizard) in act 2 inferno. I recommend resists more than anything else IMO.

I second this

I also bump this post so other mages can find it
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You will need to atleast get more vitality for act 3 otherwise normal mobs will still one shot you through force armor.
Reply Quote
So it's basically Resists > Vitality (but how much?) > DPS?

About how much Intelligence should one have if one is around 900 resist?

But, does this apply for group play? I almost always in a 3 or 4 man group but we end up kiting so I was wondering as a Wizard, should I still focus on Resist/Vitality for group play or just maximize DPS?
Edited by Barcode120x#1724 on 5/28/2012 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was sceptical to resistance on my wizard, i started to increase it but i still died instantly.
Then I hit around 350 resistance in act 2 and really started to notice the difference, Now i strive to get +all resist on all my gear. Because it soaks up a ton of damage once you get the number high enough.

Remember that with the glass cannon passive, you actually reduce your resistance, so if you keep getting one shotted, and your resistance is low, don't use that passive.

If i can choose between +40 resist and 2000hp, ill go with the resist.

http://rubensayshi.github.com/d3-ehp-calculator/
Play around with this and you will see how much it helps, compared to VIT
Edited by aR2k#2717 on 5/28/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
resist>armor>dex

With a scattering of +life regen (aim for 1k)

Extra vit only when you start taking more than 30% hits through your force armor (if you're using force armor)
Reply Quote
I am all out glass cannon. Only 30k hp, NO resist item what so ever, only got the 150 Ive gotten from int.

Does it work? You tell me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8qr4C4puyA
Reply Quote
I am all out glass cannon. Only 30k hp, NO resist item what so ever, only got the 150 Ive gotten from int.

Watched it.

That's actually pretty impressive at least from my perspective. Is it so easy to achieve that damage that you have though, it looked like you had 55k~ roughly for damage. Even with buying a 2h weapon it seems like you'd need some expensive high INT armor.
Reply Quote
how on earth are you 900 resistance and are you still in act 2 or have you beat act 4 at least...
Edited by GreenEos#1679 on 5/28/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I'll tell you No because any fast mob will destroy you or any fast base move speed monster in inferno will as Zakaluka said before Resist>armor>life>dex in that order Resist stacks better and is percent armor is percent but stacks worse higher it goes life is obvious dex is chance which is a gamble also if you want to tell me im wrong please feel free to look at my character when the profile system come online ~50k DPS ~%70 res all ~4k arm ~20k life and like no dodge and i can survive act 2(widely know as one of the hardest acts in inferno) easily.
Edited by Zer#6264 on 5/28/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 11:26 AMPosted by SunGlassesOn
how on earth are you 900 resistance and are you still in act 2 or have you beat act 4 at least...

This is actually quite easy.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
my current stance is the same as WoW, all the DPS in the world is useless if youre dead.

If we were choosing either/or stuff, I guess maybe dps would win, my thoughts are, every piece of gear MUST have int and vitality. Its in my search criteria.

I think 3rd slot is resist all. if gear has those 3 things, I believe its a good item.

+ % health is nice, not sure what else there is for DPS buff other than int though... Crit buffs? thats it I think... Your armor is pretty much focused on survivability, the weapon does the lions share of DPS modifying.

I guess you can get into the details of how much int vs a lower amount of resist and vit... Thus far, I have not been able to be that picky.

but yeah

Int
Vit
Resist All

3 things on any high end loot Im interested in.
Reply Quote

I'll tell you No because any fast mob will destroy you or any fast base move speed monster in inferno will as Zakaluka said before Resist>armor>life>dex in that order Resist stacks better and is percent armor is percent but stacks worse higher it goes life is obvious dex is chance which is a gamble also if you want to tell me im wrong please feel free to look at my character when the profile system come online ~50k DPS ~%70 res all ~4k arm ~20k life and like no dodge and i can survive act 2(widely know as one of the hardest acts in inferno) easily.

I do die a lot, I do not deny that. But even with a couple deaths I think I clear a act faster than someone who do not die, but have to kite for long periods of time. I have used this build all the way up to act4 Diablo, and it works for me : )
Reply Quote
you still didnt link your build if possible use the http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard so we can try out your build
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Michel
id like some pro to give us feedback, thanks guys

What is "pro"? How do you decide who to listen to? Someone who walks in here claiming to be pro? A streamer?

I'm farming act 2 solo and I can tell you this: Without enough resist/armor (combined with sufficient vit) mobs in the first arc of act 2 will see through your force armor. Read this as: force armor's damage reduction will cap out on single hits. This is extremely bad because even with force armor you'll see your health bar drop from full to 20% in one hit. Sabre cats (the big ones with samurai swords) are a good metric to measure this by.

When you see this happen with any frequency, you need more resist and higher armor rating. Or a larger health pool to increase the size of force armor's max absorb.

Also force armor won't help you on champ packs with a CC and a dot effect (vortex/wall/jail + mortar/fast/desecrate/plague/reflect). That's 80% of them. Switching on a hefty shield with a healthy +block modifier and lots of +resist can mean an additional 50% mitigation of these aoe dot effects, allowing you to survive being jailed/vortexed/walled.

Of course, any force armor build starts from a context of being undergeared in the first place. Your mileage may vary.
Edited by Zakaluka#1451 on 5/28/2012 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]