Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

View profile

Irl, people don't have to go to the grocery store to buy food. They can grow their own vegetables and raise their own chickens and pigs. Will they get to eat steak or exotic fruits that they don't raise or grow themselves? No. Self-sustenance isn't for everyone.

Except that this is a video game. i.e. It's called Farmville, not GroceryStoreVille.

And it was one of the most popular games. Who'd have thunk it.
That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

I would rather find my gear than buy it. Currently, that really isn't an option. You have to buy gear to get passed act 2, unless you were one of the lucky few to abuse the various things like shield, smoke, repeatable chests, etc etc. I, myself, am now feeling it to be extremely boring. After spending the last 3 days, all day, mfing for new gear, it's obvious now. I cannot find anything. The only thing I can do is grind every day, for gold. Millions of it. Then buy 1 piece.

Granted, this is what you guys wanted to happen with the inclusion of the RMAH.
But still. I'm not sure I am going to even make it to the point when RMAH comes out. None of the friends I started with did. (nor do I plan to buy from the RMAH when it does.. because I bought and played Diablo for one thing - mfing is fun - the only game out that is worth mfing in.. or.. was. It no longer is.)
The issue is the implication that they reward farmers and skew the percentages to make it even harder on the casual player to get the "great gear". I won't ever be "uber", but the fact that because of folks who play 24/7, *I* get screwed.

That, I'm afraid, is just plain AWFUL game design. Period.
Thank you sir, may I have another.
90 Troll Shaman

The fact that instead of spamming general chat or making game after game after game of "NEED ENIGMA PLZ _ _ _ _ 4 TRADE" repeatedly a million times over just to get one guy to give you what you want, now you can actually look for THAT item, make a bid, and have it in seconds rather than waste hours trying to find it.

This guy nailed it. The more crap i read on the forums, the more its evident hardly anyone spent some real time in D2. If you did, you know that to get the good items legitly (not buying them online) took hours, and hours of just trading. Just like Hydralisk said, Game after game of just trying to trade for one item. Now, you can just sell that item for gold, get the gold and buy the item you want. Minimal time lost, more time playing.. how is that not better?

TL:DR - Stop Crying and Play the Game
People accept the premise irl. Rich people can 'outbid' poorer people for food, clothes, education, cars, houses, etc.

So why would the economics be different in a video game?
Actually, "irl" there are laws and regulations against purchasing and reselling goods to artificially inflate prices.
Edited by Dark#1977 on 5/29/2012 1:55 PM PDT
op you are taking his words out of context to make it sound like if he really said that.

he just said that AH is here to stay, deal with it. in diablo 2 items were so rare that witout trading you would never be in BIS gear.

he never said that gear will drop depending on AH needs
he never said that gear will drop more if there are no items in AH.

ah only help the game, it dosnt hurt it. is the same as spaming in trade channel all day long to sell a piece. trust me is an double edge sword, is good and is bad. either way no one is making you use it.
05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

That is why I dislike the AH and MF on items, people say "no one is forcing you to use it!" but, since the game drops are designed around their availability, it means if I want to gear without using them, I'll take much longer than the devs have planned for players to gear up :-(

Sorry If someone else made the same point, I didn't read all the posts (shame on me) :-)
And with that said, people must spend hours browsing the AH because they will never get an item which will make them progress, because it would be 'gearing up too fast'.

Sorry, the explanation is not an explanation. Everybody knew this (well, seems some people didn't but still). The point is that if I want to progress as a barb from Act1 Inferno (which I stomped), I need to farm the gold for hours and just maybe get an item I can equip from farming The Butcher with 5 Nephalem stacks on Inferno. So when I spend about a hundred hours farming the said gold I can go to AH and see what is there to buy since the market is so huge that obviously someone will be getting awesome stuff, right?

Excuse me for not wanting to progress like that. I'd rather farm Mephisto on Nightmare so I can play on Hell then farm gold because the drops are just horrible. When I farm him I will at least see a lot of uniques and sets even if I won't use them.

You once said that the point of Diablo was the hunt for loot and I agree. The problem with D3 is that the mentioned loot system is beyond boring.
Edited by Shrike#1737 on 5/29/2012 1:57 PM PDT

I thought about this solution too, it makes a lot of sense. Blizzard though will never make this feature as it will decrease the potential RMAH revenue. I believe this option would become very popular, very fast. The AH would only be used by a minority of players, thus killing the revenue coming off the RMAH.

A better solution to me would be to get rid of the Gold AH completely, but keep the RMAH. The item proliferation would decrease dramatically if there was only a RMAH (as not everyone would be using this service obviously), thus they could increase the individual items drop rates quite a bit. The RMAH would still be there as a continuous cash flow.

I would even go as far as saying the RMAH would be even more popular if there was no gold AH, which is a good thing for Blizzard.

Wrong.

Why do you even bother posting "wrong" if you won't even give out an explanation?
23 Orc Shaman
People accept the premise irl. Rich people can 'outbid' poorer people for food, clothes, education, cars, houses, etc.

So why would the economics be different in a video game?
Actually, "irl" there are laws and regulations against purchasing and reselling goods to artificially inflate prices.

Source?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]