Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

Point and Case : 170+ hours played now in D3

Is that really something you want to admit to?
Homicide - I understand your concerns and thanks for posting this.

Any game has its die-hard followers who will trash you whatever you say that is in the slightest bit negative towards the game. They want to be blind to anything. Sometimes I wonder if they are all on staff.

I have three mains, all of them have now put in about 150 hours at least in total. Yet, I have not seen a legendary yet, and the butcher has not dropped even a rare in Nightmare for my first char that I have now taken through there. Only blues and whites.
I carry as much 'chance of getting magical item' as possible in the stats but it does not seem to make much difference.

So I think what you are saying sounds very true to me.
90 Troll Hunter
05/29/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Homicide
Ahh whats wrong , alot of people believe that blizzard is blatantly screwin us, you dont like it , you mad bro?

I'm not even close to mad, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about and can't grasp something as simple as what was said. It's quite sad really.
Community Manager
05/29/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Homicide
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/29/2012 12:52 PM PDT
85 Worgen Warrior
At Homicide, if that's the case, play RIGHT now bro, since the AH is down and all AH items have been removed, maybe you'll have a high drop rate.

I'm not gonna lie, i was QUITE surprised when my wife and I killed each boss on normal and got 2-3 yellows, then on NightMare we killed each boss up to and including so far the Butcher and each boss has only dropped 2 blues each. Very strange!

At least now we know why.

At Bashiok, you say "We don't want you to gear up too fast" Lots of players are complaining at the level of difficulty from NM act II up. I didn't die at all through Normal, not once as a barb, now that my wife and I have hit NM, I've had to completely sacrifice all my dmg and switch to all survival just so I don't get 1 shot by champion mobs, and we're just on NM. I can't imagine how I'm going to survive through hell since I have some of the highest stat yellows I can find...why are you guys over there trying to determine how godly/ungodly players get while leveling? Sigh.
Edited by Saythe#1440 on 5/29/2012 12:54 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

Thanks for the clarification - I misread this as well and was looking for more info.
whats up w. all the gladiator gauntlets being listed for more than 1 mil. a few days ago there were only say 50 listed and most under 1 mil now theres like 3 pages and all listed over a mil.
86 Undead Death Knight
Thanks Bash. I'm pretty surprised people were able to mistake that, it's fairly obvious the intent was, "The game was designed with the knowledge that people would be trading items."
90 Troll Hunter
O i grasp what was said , and it was a very *open ended vague statement* as blizzard is well known for. Im just lookin for conrete answers.

It seems to me , your happy knowing nothing , going on through your life with only the knowledge others have told ya. That makes it all true right?

Man you're a terrible troll. You grasped absolutely nothing other than what your mind (what's left of it) tried to comprehend, which was completely different than what was actually said. It makes me sad that people are actually this dumb.
People asked you to provide a link to where you claim Blizz says that the AH will affect drop rates. You never did.

05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

And this totally makes sense...I can't believe anyone seriously thought that drops dynamically adjusted just because there were a lot of that item on the AH.
Edited by DrewGamer#1671 on 5/29/2012 12:56 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]