Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Shaman
05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3061879912#9

You touted this game as a solo venture, but with the vastly decreased drop rates we have to use the AH in order to progress in inferno. How does that make this a game that is designed to be solo capable?
Bashiok, you're completely missing the point.

Everyone knows what blizzard did and why they did it. What everyone's mad at, though, is how you've sacrificed making a game fun and enjoyable to play in order to balance the economy. That's the big problem that a lot of people have with D3 in general; a lot of the changes from D2 (potion cooldown, no tps, no out of game channels) have sacrificed an enjoyable experience in the name of "balance". This is completely ridiculous in my opinion; D3 first and foremost is a GAME. All it needs to be successful is to be enjoyable.
a) i'm not surpised.

b) whats actually surprising is how many fanboys read this and are a-ok with this level of manipulation.
85 Worgen Warrior
05/29/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Romonaga
This is working as intended, Bosses after the first kill no longer have the great drop rate on rares.

I hear that, but shouldn't that JUST be on if you killed it on norm and went to farm it on Norm? Shouldn't the next level, aka NM, have even nicer drops the FIRST time you kill them on NM? Then the same with Hell? Cause TECHNICALLY that's a different boss then...
and all this while the servers are down...again ......
05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

This is exactly what any sane person took your original post as meaning. Can't believe you had to clarify this rofl.
100 Orc Warrior
05/29/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Hektos
And this totally makes sense...I can't believe anyone seriously thought that drops dynamically adjusted just because there were a lot of that item on the AH.

*raises hand*

Granted, I wear a tinfoil hat. But before posting a thread in Genaral Discussion I re-read the article and got the answer I was looking for ;)
I imagine, at the end of the day, Bashiok goes home and just silently beats his head against the wall after having to deal with forum folk all day.

At least you have some nice, relaxing inferno to look forward to!
90 Goblin Hunter
they're both essentially saying the same thing, regardless of how, the access to the gold AH effects your ability to gear up without it. Big whoop, moving on.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]