Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

What about items for other classes dropping significantly more than for the class I am playing forcing use of the AH? I realize there are lot of types of loot that I can't use while leveling but I find it strange that while playing my WD I find hundreds of bows and strength items. In turn as soon as I play my barbarian I am flooded with caster gear. It can't be all in my head.
05/29/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Homicide

That's not what was said or implied at all. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

Ah hah!@ Bashiok. Well thank you sir , this is what i wanted , a truthful explanation, was all. Thank you sir.

Thanks trolls too, you guys make me laugh.

This post, in which a write an angry post and get the post deleted, then comes back with a reasonable request that is then answered, should be stickied.

Imagine! A poster gets angry, calms down, asks a reasonable question, and gets a reasonable answer. Now if only this can get through to other people as well.
89 Goblin Priest
Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion

This is true of all games. You should never get the best stuff until you are near "the end" of the game. In a game designed around loot, legendaries should be just that "legendary". You shouldn't see anyone walking around with a full set of legendary items at 60 within the first month of the game coming out no matter how awesome you think that would be. Game designers have to take this sort of thing into account when designing drop rates. I've gotten 2 legendary items in my measley 40 hours of gameplay and even that I think is pushing too high of a drop rate.
05/29/2012 12:52 PMPosted by gangsta
whats up w. all the gladiator gauntlets being listed for more than 1 mil. a few days ago there were only say 50 listed and most under 1 mil now theres like 3 pages and all listed over a mil.

Basic economics. It's called inflation.

More people have D3 gold. One Inferno run and people are getting 500k in gold drops. They can afford to spend it on million gold items so sellers will price it at a million gold.
Ugh, more BS rhetoric from Blizzard. So contradicting.

First he says "The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available."

Then says, "It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them."

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc20DK6m24A

So what is the real answer? Probably, "Of course we manipulate drops! How else can we steer you guys into purchasing from the RMAH when it launches?"
Edited by Steveg#1241 on 5/29/2012 1:08 PM PDT
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

About those reduced drop rates to factor in the AH. Do you have any comment on the common complaint that people who want to gear up from random drops themselves without using the AH to buy their equipment gets shafted because of the lowered drop rates?
90 Dwarf Paladin
I bought a lottery ticket and I didn't win so I'm going to complain. I think we all get the idea that in a lottery you are going to lose way more than you win.

Drops are like little lottery tickets. Each one gives you a shot but more than likely it going to be worthless.

I've been farming first act inferno for a week. I think I got one item that was actually useful for me. I have gotten quite a few items useful for my friends and they have gotten stuff for me as well. Group up, make deals and pacts, play together... I know I like the solo game too but it is easier grouping up. Especially if you are a little undergeared for the content you are playing.

Complaining about drop rates in a forum is a guaranteed loser. The only way to get loot is to kill, stop complaining and go kill more.

Respectfully Bashiok, what if a player did not care to use the auction house? Why should their personal drop rates be affected?
I wish this was true, a dynamic drop rate would be revolutionary and fantastic! The game monitoring this to keep certain items rare, yea I am OK with that.

EDIT: Just read the blue quote above me, DAMN IT!
Edited by PostalTwinki#1731 on 5/29/2012 1:07 PM PDT
89 Goblin Priest
About those reduced drop rates to factor in the AH. Do you have any comment on the common complaint that people who want to gear up without using the AH to buy their equipment gets shafted because of the lowered drop rates?

Legendaries are far from necessary to gear up. Most of the time rare's are even better depending on the ilvl.
05/29/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Helais
Posting in all caps is against the forum rules. If you truly care about this topic refrain from using all caps so it won't get deleted/locked again.

Excellent. Another wow fuk head. Who died and made you king?
I don't understand the logic that drop rates need to be static to be fair. It isn't like the server is choosing who is going to get the drop, it is just adjusting the rates based on actual rarity on the server.

I'm all for a dynamic drop rate, it is more accurate to the rarity that the items are intended to be dropping at. This isn't just a simple single player game. Its beyond that format, and rightfully so.

Hmmm... wouldn't that be the point of setting a static drop rate to begin with? Model the rate around how common you want the item to be? They could always make a special "one-time only" drop, that flags the server once it drops... but to tell me I have less chance at awesome loot because some other guy already lucked out would be a slap to my face. Plus it would make that upgrade more and more rare, which would eventually lead to some guy not being able to get geared.

I doubt it is the case, however; or at least not to any major extent.
Edited by Karnmak#1760 on 5/29/2012 1:09 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]