Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

I can accept that item drop rates must be adjusted to compensate for the auction house, but the way it was implemented is horrible. Instead of less loot being dropped it instead drops loot 5-10 levels below your current level. In order to progress into the harder modes you are reliant on higher level/geared players to supply you with loot at prices they seem fit. The auction house has vastly rewarded players who abused exploits and broken abilities (wizard demon hunter nerfs) to get further into inferno and now corner the market.

You say that much of the QQ around inferno difficulty is due to players being under geared. Well how is one supposed to get geared when the drops in Act IV hell and Act 1 Inferno are for lower levels. People are required to spend money on gear from Act III & IV Inferno in order to complete the first two acts. It is obvious this path was chosen to rake in the most money in the RMAH.

TL,DR - Making loot rarer would have been fine, instead you made it so people are required to use the auction house in in order to gear up effectively. Its obvious the RMAH was the reason for this.
nothing has changed a game that is going to try to force you to use the RMAH
Edited by indeep#1249 on 5/29/2012 1:16 PM PDT
View profile
05/29/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Riddarn

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

About those reduced drop rates to factor in the AH. Do you have any comment on the common complaint that people who want to gear up from random drops themselves without using the AH to buy their equipment gets shafted because of the lowered drop rates?

Irl, people don't have to go to the grocery store to buy food. They can grow their own vegetables and raise their own chickens and pigs. Will they get to eat steak or exotic fruits that they don't raise or grow themselves? No. Self-sustenance isn't for everyone.
05/29/2012 01:03 PMPosted by DiamondHead
whats up w. all the gladiator gauntlets being listed for more than 1 mil. a few days ago there were only say 50 listed and most under 1 mil now theres like 3 pages and all listed over a mil.

Basic economics. It's called inflation.

More people have D3 gold. One Inferno run and people are getting 500k in gold drops. They can afford to spend it on million gold items so sellers will price it at a million gold.

Yes thats inflation. those gloves are pretty sweet the problem is then that all decent gear is being posted now for millions, and what isnt being posted for millions is being immediately bought to then be posted for millions
6 Undead Mage
I say we stop making wild accusations about things Blizzard does, or does not do.

Just show us that source code so we can see how it works? lol
Edited by blayd#2509 on 5/29/2012 1:13 PM PDT

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

It's not unreasonable to do so; I think the underlying complaint that people have is not that the AH is a factor in setting drop rates, but that the AH is such an efficient and convenient source of gear that the drop rates in-game are really low to make up for it.

I just got to Hell mode, and I haven't equipped an item I found myself in a long time, probably not since Normal. Nearly everything I'm using, I bought at the AH, save one or two gifts from friends.

Friends who are in Inferno give me the impression the system works a little better there, since with the Nephilem buff you do get a good amount of rares, and you can get a good deal of gold from the AH for them, which you can turn around and use to purchase the items you wish had dropped.

But the net effect is that it really trivializes Normal and Nightmare play, which has effectively been reduced to a ritual of getting as much gold as possible during a play session, and then spending it on upgrades at the end of each session. I'm expecting this to continue into Hell, unfortunately.

This is only exacerbated by the fact that there are no gold sinks; crafting isn't worth the investment, and durability loss hasn't been a huge drain for me.

And I think that's an issue that is worth trying to remedy. The company has taken huge steps in trying to get people to square off against champion packs in order to get the best items, but all I'm looking for is gold and a low buyout price.
I've played roughly 120 hours or so between all my characters and I've found 1 legendary. My friend has played about 50 and he's found 2.

Random is random buddy.
This may very well be because I've only just now finished normal mode, but I was able to over gear my character since around level 10 to make the every encounter in the game pretty much trivial. If the issue was they needed to make sure that "player has X power at Y time in the game", then why should have also nerfed gold drops as well as drop rates since I've been able to buy everything I need to be overpowered early on in the game.

I've spent about 40,000 gold in the AH on my demon hunter (level 29, in Act IV normal) and my wizard (Level 34, Act I Nightmare) and I kill things without any trouble at all. Again, it's not because of drops I've gotten, it's because of optimal items from the AH.

Again, maybe this is because I'm not on Hell or Inferno modes yet and maybe the "player has X power at Y time" statement implied late game difficulty levels only, but to me it seems if the goal was to prevent people from out gearing encounters by lowering drop rates, it has failed because the AH is the biggest loot pinata of all.
23 Orc Shaman
05/29/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Homicide

That's not what was said or implied at all. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

Ah hah!@ Bashiok. Well thank you sir , this is what i wanted , a truthful explanation, was all. Thank you sir.

Thanks trolls too, you guys make me laugh.

The "trolls" who could actually read were saying exactly what Bashiok said!!!
90 Tauren Druid
I don't mind drops being nerfed because of the AH. Sure it will take longer to gear up and complete the game, but that's part of the fun, right?

You don't have to use the AH. You can technically gear up without using the AH. I think it would be cool to have an achievement for completing Inferno without ever visiting the AH, but otherwise I don't see any other change as being necessary.
View profile
05/29/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Merced
Still trying to figure out what even necessitated the implementation of an AH in the first place other than to crowd out the jsp and real money sites. Either way its not a goal i feel should've then affected the entire games design and philosophies.

It's time and lifestyles. Casuals want shorter cycles so they can move on to the next new thing. Not only talking about computer video games.
85 Night Elf Druid
I agree, AH needs to be taken out.
i have found 3 legendaries so far but all crap, low lvl legendaries that people even on the AH don't wana buy, but i'm with you on this one everyone should have an equal chance at that piece of gear they want to drop even if the drops rates are soo dam low it takes you forever or that 1 lucky shot,
Blizz has a new way to make more money,

just like when they switch all our account names on WoW to our emails, then the hackers started rolling in and out pops the authenicator for 6.50 a pop. Prob made millions on that.

JUST another way for them to make money shoving a mop up our asses and cleaning us for every cent.
Mmm if I ever feel forced to head to the real money ah this game will go in the trash to join its sibling sc2. But that hasnt happened yet so until then I am enjoying this fun game.
If you are saying the leg items arent good at all compare to yellow/blue, that i am with ya, but if u r saying a leg item will never drop, then I have my doubts, I was playing with my brother a week when we were both below lvl 10, and we found a leg item in normal.....really it was there and we couldnt believe it ourselves, but well it was the worst leg item of its kind but still

I myself only found 2 so far after 10 days but i have seen my friends and other found leg items daily....so I dont think there is too much to say on that

Plus, until they buff the leg items, whats the point???
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]