Diablo® III

Blizzard Admits the AH affects Drop Rates

(Locked)

05/29/2012 12:46 PMPosted by Homicide
My only question to the OP is you have been playing 170+ hours and the game has been out for only 2 weeks? Where is all this free time coming from? This does not also count rants on the D3 forums complaining about the game also.

Want to see the screenshot , with all 5 chars accumlated hours , i got no probs there friend. Some of us have what others dont i guess , is this my concern , no , blizzards crap tactics are my concern atm , spam on pls....

And some of us have something you don't seem to have. Job+life.

Bash made his point clear as day. It makes sense for what they are trying to do, whether it be to inflate RMAH prices to profit more, or to keep people playing. Really, IDK what their motives are, I enjoy playing the game. When I stop enjoying the game, I'll quit playing it.
90 Tauren Druid
05/29/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Buzzatronic
This may very well be because I've only just now finished normal mode

This is correct. I killed Diablo on Normal with my DH the first time, not knowing anything about the fight mechanics going in. It was trivial.

Then I encountered the first elite mob in Act I Nightmare and it proceed to kick the !@#$ out of me.

Normal is a joke, and unless you're just leaving gear on the ground to rot and never visiting the AH you will have no problems from a gear perspective.
On hold for getting hacked so hopefully we can resolve this thing.
I just found a legendary helm yesterday.

There are 40+ pages of that exact same helm on the Auction House.

I don't think things are how you think they are.
23 Orc Shaman
05/29/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Brofist

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3061879912#9

You touted this game as a solo venture, but with the vastly decreased drop rates we have to use the AH in order to progress in inferno. How does that make this a game that is designed to be solo capable?

You get gold right? Spend some on the AH or craft for a long time and voila! Solo capable. Solo in the sense that you by yourself are killing the critters. It would be dumb of epic proportions to not balance around the assumption that people are trading.
The fact that practically all my equipment is from the Auction House removes the prime drive I had in Diablo II to keep playing - looting cool stuff. I don't think the developers thought this through sufficiently, as for long-term player satisfaction there needs to be some reward beyond having useless stacks of gold pile up in your inventory.

If I were them, I'd have made it so that each item in their database had a hidden variable showing what character originally looted it, and forced a requirement to have at least 6/11 pieces of equipment be your own loot. That way you would have to use auctioned equipment strategically, and you would actually get excited about finding loot that might possibly get equipped.

tl;dr Making item hunting mostly pointless in an item hunting game is a really dumb design decision.
05/29/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

No intelligent person would argue that what you're doing is wrong. In fact, I was initially worried that you were NOT doing this, because of how plentiful drops seemed to be. However, I believe it is a legitimate concern that any individual player is far less likely to get something amazing because of the auction house. This shifts the game more away from "farm for your gear" towards "farm gold to buy your gear". It's not quite as exciting.
View profile
05/29/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Merkaba

Basic economics. It's called inflation.

More people have D3 gold. One Inferno run and people are getting 500k in gold drops. They can afford to spend it on million gold items so sellers will price it at a million gold.

Yes thats inflation. those gloves are pretty sweet the problem is then that all decent gear is being posted now for millions, and what isnt being posted for millions is being immediately bought to then be posted for millions

People accept the premise irl. Rich people can 'outbid' poorer people for food, clothes, education, cars, houses, etc.

So why would the economics be different in a video game?
You have much MUCH bigger problems to worry about if you have 170+ hours played thus far.
You misunderstand the meaning, OP.
They should probably take into account the AH being barely usable.
05/29/2012 12:34 PMPosted by TheFool
You're either taking his words out of context, or misunderstanding their meaning.
I don't want to play the AH half the time though, why does that need to factor into what I get in game? Really don't like this system at all :\
90 Tauren Druid
The fact that practically all my equipment is from the Auction House removes the prime drive I had in Diablo II to keep playing - looting cool stuff. I don't think the developers thought this through sufficiently, as for long-term player satisfaction there needs to be some reward beyond having useless stacks of gold pile up in your inventory.

If I were them, I'd have made it so that each item in their database had a hidden variable showing what character originally looted it, and forced a requirement to have at least 6/11 pieces of equipment be your own loot. That way you would have to use auctioned equipment strategically, and you would actually get excited about finding loot that might possibly get equipped.

tl;dr Making item hunting mostly pointless in an item hunting game is a really dumb design decision.

If the AH removes the drive you had to play the game, just stay away from the AH? If anything having the AH there and not using it will provide more of a challenge due to decreased (useful) drop rates.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. I could see if they had ladders in D3, and they allowed AH purchases on ladder characters, you might feel compelled. But if you're playing the game purely for your own enjoyment, what does it matter if the AH is there? Just stay away from it.
90 Orc Warrior
05/29/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Merkaba

Basic economics. It's called inflation.

More people have D3 gold. One Inferno run and people are getting 500k in gold drops. They can afford to spend it on million gold items so sellers will price it at a million gold.

Yes thats inflation. those gloves are pretty sweet the problem is then that all decent gear is being posted now for millions, and what isnt being posted for millions is being immediately bought to then be posted for millions

Except when your hand gets caught in the cookie jar - there is a 10 item limit with a 2 day waiting period on the auctions. So if you post stupid crap for too much, NOBODY WILL BUY IT
05/29/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Valana

No intelligent person would argue that what you're doing is wrong. In fact, I was initially worried that you were NOT doing this, because of how plentiful drops seemed to be. However, I believe it is a legitimate concern that any individual player is far less likely to get something amazing because of the auction house. This shifts the game more away from "farm for your gear" towards "farm gold to buy your gear". It's not quite as exciting.

"This shifts the game more away from "farm for your gear" towards "farm gold to buy your gear". It's not quite as exciting."

exactly... really takes away a lot of the fun to be honest
Think about this:

Blizzard creates a real money AH. Blizzard will control the economy. They can put items on for whatever price they want and make the cash themselves. They will determine the buy rate and they can control the supple and demand. They can sell gold at whatever price they want.

I do not care either way as I would never use the RMAH but I find this interesting as the business model is in a way ... a blank check.

Power corrupts; Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Very smart thinking!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]