Diablo® III

"Will my PC run D3?" READ THIS Before Posting

100 Blood Elf Paladin
* Last Update: May 22nd

Way too many of these threads, so going to create a hopefully a single topic that deals with that question once and for all.

This topic will explain whether your PC can handle D3 or not.

If you read through this and find out that your system is not up to the task and needs an upgrade, then take a good look at this comprehensive PC build I made on the WoW forums:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4850585139

===== CPUs =====

Diablo 3 is not a very CPU intensive game when you are playing solo or in a small group. Supposedly, CPU becomes more important in a full group, with massive number of monsters and spells happening all around. But there is no benchmark detailing that.

So I will simply describe what is a decent level of CPU you can still use for the time being.

If you have the following CPU brands, you do not have to upgrade your CPU:

If your CPU is not listed here, then your CPU is pretty ancient (or weak), and your computer as whole is likely to be ancient. Getting a new PC would be recommended in that case.

*** Intel ***

- Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs (LGA 1155, 2011):
Example models: i3-2120, i5-2500k, i7-2600k, Pentium G-series, Celeron G-series, i7-3950k

- Nehalem and Westmere CPUs (LGA 1366, 1156):
Example models: All other i3, i5, i7s CPUs.

- Core 2 CPUs (LGA 775):
Example models: Core2Quad Q6600, Core2Duo E8xxx

*** AMD ***

- Athlon II (of any type)
- Phenom II (of any type)
- AMD A-Series APU
- AMD FX (of any type)

===== GPUs / Graphics Cards =====

I will explain to you here how AMD/ATi and nVidia names their cards, and their approximate representative power, and how that translates into D3 performance.

If your GPU is not listed here, D3 will either:
1) Run, but unplayable
2) Does not run

Besides that, the other requirements are that your graphics card fully support DirectX 9.0c, and Pixel Shader 3.0. What does this mean? This means, any and all AMD/ATi / nVidia graphics of the following models will never run D3.

- AMD/ATi / nVidia GPUs that can't run D3 no matter what -

AMD/ATi: Any and all Radeon models prior to Radeon X1000 series.
nVidia: Any and all nVidia models prior to GeForce 6000 series, including GeForce 6150 SE / 6200 series. Upper-level 6000 series should work though, in theory.

Yes. I see a lot of people with this infamous GeForce 6150 SE and its variants (part of nForce integrated graphics). If you have this, you need a new graphics card.

Caution: The relative graphics performance of the cards explained below ALL ASSUME THE MONITOR RESOLUTION IS 1920x1080!!!!

*** Intel ***

Any and all Intel integrated graphics prior to Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge graphics will not work. Only Intel integrated graphics that can run D3 are:

HD 2000 - Set settings to low
HD 3000 - Settings can be mix of medium and high
HD 4000 - Settings can be mix of mostly high / all high

If you have any other Intel graphics, you need to upgrade, or in case of a laptop... get a new PC.

*** AMD / ATi ***

The AMD / ATi nomenclature for their models are as follows:

Given the model, AMD Radeon HD 6870...

1. The "6" indicates the generation. This indicates how recent it has been released. It has no real bearing in how powerful a card is, unless if your card is ancient.

As indicated below in the list, cards older than the HD 4000 series is fairly ancient, and the top-end cards of those days will barely match up to entry mid-range gaming cards of today. Even though these cards are supported, if you are still sporting cards older than the Radeon HD 4000 series, I would seriously recommend you to upgrade the card.

Supported Generations:

If your card isn't a part of any of these generations, you cannot run D3 no matter what.

X1000 (Release year: 2005)
HD 2000 (Release year: 2006)
HD 3000 (Release year: 2007)
---- There is a BIG gap in performance difference between the above and the below ----
HD 4000 (Release year: 2008)
---- There is some gap in performance difference between the above and the below ----
HD 5000 (Release year: 2009)
HD 6000 (Release year: 2010)
---- There is a noticeable gap in performance difference between the above and the below ----
HD 7000 (Release year: 2012)

2. The "8" indicates the primary power level of the card. The levels are as follows:

Caution!: AMD switched around the primary power level of the card, and what it represents with HD 6000 series and onward. Prior to HD 6000 series, the "8" meant it was the flagship, "7" being performance, and "6" being mainstream. Now, they all moved up a step.

- 9: The flagship card. Can run pretty much anything you throw at it at maximum settings.

Example card: HD 7970, (dual GPU) HD 7990
In terms of D3: Thoroughly, utterly, destroyed.

- 8: The mid-range, performance parts. Good enough to run many games on high / maximum settings, except the most demanding games like Battlefield 3.

Example card: HD 6870, HD 7850
In terms of D3: Just like the '9' series, will destroy it.

- 7: The mid-range, mainstream parts. Good enough to run many games on high settings, except for the more demanding 3D games.

Example card: HD 6770, HD 5770, HD 4770
In terms of D3: These will still destroy them.

- 6: The entry-level, mainstream parts. Now you need to dial down the game settings for many 3D games to play well, and demanding 3D games will not run all that well.

Example card: HD 6670
In terms of D3: You can run with mix of medium and high.

- 5: The entry-level, entry parts. Most 3D games become unplayable unless you dial the settings down to low / medium.

Example card: HD 6570
In terms of D3: Mix of low / medium is recommended.

- 4: Bottom-of-the-barrel.

Example card: HD 6450

- 3, 2, 1: Really bottom-of-the-barrel.

Example card: HD 4350
In terms of D3: Don't expect much.

3. The "7" indicates the relative power in that given primary power level. The levels are as follows:

- 9: Sometimes seen, these are usually cut-down versions of the next powerful card. This is the most powerful card in that primary power level. If this number is seen on a 69xx / 79xx series of cards, that means it's a dual-GPU on a single card solution, the absolute flagship card.

- 7: These are the 'flagship' of the primary power level family. IE) HD 6870 is the strongest in the 6800 series.

- 5: These are the 'mainstream' of the primary power level family.

- 3: Sometimes seen, these are usually cut-down versions of the 'mainstream' version of the card in the power level family.

4. The "0" has no meaning.

=== Putting the Description Together ===

So, having read through the AMD/ATi section, how can we describe the example card, Radeon HD 6870?

It means:

The Radeon HD 6870 is 1 generations old (not a huge minus).
The Radeon HD 6870 is a mid-range, performance card.
The Radeon HD 6870 is the stronger card in the HD 6800 family, and beats HD 6850.

The Radeon HD 6870, according to the descriptions, would destroy Diablo 3 effortlessly, due to being a mid-range, performance card as indicated by the number "8" in the hundredth value.

*** nVidia ***

The nVidia nomenclature for their models are as follows:

Caution!: Like AMD/ATi, nVidia changed the naming schemes post 200 series. For cards using 4 numbers, like 9000 / 8000 / 7000 / 6000 series, their description will be similar to that of AMD cards.

Given GeForce 9800 GTX:

"9" represents generation.
"8" represents primary power level of the card. The definition of what this number represents remains the same with the current generation, so refer to that list below.

"GTX" represents the relative power of the card in that primary power level family. GTX is the strongest, followed by GTS, GT, then the weakest being GS. You may see GE, SE, and other variants. They roughly equal GS.

The two "0"s have no meaning, but may occasionally see "5" and other numbers in the tenth spot.

Given the model, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti...

1. The "GTX" is given to a "performance gaming card" of the series. Lower-end series will have "GTS", and the weakest will have "GT".

2. The "5" represents generation, much like AMD/ATi. Once again, no real bearings on its performance, unless if your card is ancient.

As indicated below in the list, cards older than the GeForce 200 series is fairly ancient, and the top-end cards of those days will barely match up to entry mid-range gaming cards of today. Even though these cards are supported, if you are still sporting cards older than the GeForce 200 series, I would seriously recommend you to upgrade the card.

Supported Generations:

If your card isn't a part of any of these generations, you cannot run D3 no matter what.

6000 (except integrated 6150 SE, and 6200 series) (Release year: 2004)
7000 (Release year: 2005)
---- There is a BIG gap in performance difference between the above and the below ----
8000 (Release year: 2006)
9000 (Release year: 2008)
200 (some variants used by OEMs also have 100 and 300) (Release year: 2008)
400 (Release year: 2010)
500 (Release year: 2010)
---- There is a noticeable gap in performance difference between the above and the below ----
600 (Release year: 2012)

3. The "6" indicates the primary power level of the card. The levels are as follows:

- 9: Flagship card, usually a dual-GPU solution. Out of range for many users in terms of $.

Example card: GTX 690
In terms of D3: Absolutely, utterly, and thoroughly destroyed.

- 8: Flagship card, will run pretty much most games at maximum settings.

Example card: GTX 580
In terms of D3: Destroyed.

- 7: High-end card, will run pretty much most games at maximum settings, except the most demanding 3D games.

Example card: GTX 470
In terms of D3: Also destroyed.

- 6: Mid-range, performance card. Will run most games at high / maximum settings, except the most demanding 3D games.

Example card: GTX 560, GTX 460
In terms of D3: Destroyed again.

- 5: Mid-range, mainstream card. While it will run most games at high settings, more demanding 3D games will require you to dial back the settings a bit.

Example card: GTS 450, GTX 550 Ti
In terms of D3: Effortlessly destroyed.

- 4: Entry-level, mainstream card. Most games need to be run at medium / high settings. Demanding 3D games will struggle.

Example card: GT 440
In terms of D3: Mix of medium / high is recommended.

- 3: Entry-level, entry card. Most games need to be run at medium settings. Demanding 3D games will barely run.

Example card: GT 430

- 2, 1: Bottom of the barrel.

Example card: Cards here are generally OEM-only, not available in retail
In terms of D3: Don't expect much.

4. The "0" can sometimes change into "5", which means it's a slightly improved version compared to one with "0" here. Not seen often in desktop scene, but common in laptops.

5. The "Ti" indicates 'superior' version of that primary family. IE) GTX 560 Ti is better than plain GTX 560. Sometimes, this suffix shows "SE", which means it's a gimped version. IE) GTX 560 SE is worse than plain GTX 560.

=== Putting the Description Together ===

So, having read through the nVidia section, how can we describe the example card, GeForce GTX 560?

It means:

The GeForce GTX 560 is 1 generations old (once again, not a huge minus).
The GeForce GTX 560 is a mid-range, performance card.
The GeForce GTX 560 is roughly the middle card in the GTX 560 family. It beats GTX 560 SE, and loses to GTX 560 Ti (and its variant, 446 Core Edition).

The GeForce GTX 560, according to the descriptions, would destroy Diablo 3 effortlessly, due to being a mid-range, performance card as indicated by the number "6" in the tenth value.

======================================

I hope this topic has helped you figure out whether your PC is ready for Diablo 3 or not. Any questions and comments can be posted here.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 5/22/2012 2:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Le bump.
Reply Quote
Thank you Kalganized.

You don't mention the GE suffix for nVidia, but I'll assume it's somewhere around GT/GS. I have a GeForce 9300 GE 512MB - sounds like according to your specs it's a fairly recent generation but lower end card, correct? It runs D3 but it's choppy - zombies across the screen suddenly appear next to me.

What's the minimum nVidia card you would recommend to "destroy" and not worry about low/med settings?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
9300 is actually an old generation now, and yes, lower-end card.

Assuming GeForce 500 series (because only high-end 600 series are available), minimum is 550 Ti, and coincidentally, 550 Ti is the weakest available for nVidia now (retail).

Radeons have even weaker cards available.
Reply Quote
Everyone request sticky!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Added release years for the "generations" description. Now you can know how old your graphics card really is!
Reply Quote
Why this hasn't been stickied, I dunno...
Reply Quote
Nvidia GT 520s any good for this game or do I have to upgrade?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
GT 520 will run Diablo 3, but don't expect much.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 5/16/2012 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
hope u guys can help me since i bad with computers , i read ll this and i belive my card can run the game but could u honestly tell me if it can ...
this is what i got...

windows vista home premium (service pack 1)
intel(R) core(TM) i7 cpu 920 @2.67GHz
3.00GB
64-bit operating system
ATI radeon HD 4850 (512mb)

please help as i know nothing of computers , and what upgrades would be best or just get a new pc

thanks in advance
Reply Quote
I suppose having two of them won't do much either?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Evol: Your system will handle D3 perfectly.

Pillow: Nope. SLi'ing the bottom-end card is not going to do much.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
ty for letting me know kind person , but why when i click install it pops a window telling me i need a newer operating system to run , im confused
i down loaded the client and click the diablo set up and once i click the install i get that
Edited by mrfear420#1956 on 5/16/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
time to upgrade then :(

can you tell me the difference between a Radeon 5750 and a 5770? those two cards are what I have picked out for upgrades in case my nvidias can't run D3
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
How do you think Nvidia Geforce Gt 525m will do?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Pillow: There are some, but not noticeably large difference between a 5750 and 5770.

If you had a GT 520, it's very likely your power supply is crappy. Check what company made it, and what wattage it supports before you buy any new graphics card.

Darkpharaoh: GT 525M will require the game to run at low (some medium), but FPS should be pretty decent because your laptop's resolution should be low-end 1366x768.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thank you for the help =D
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
A very nice thread and topic...

Which unfortunately doesn't answer my question, heh.

Here's my laptop:

Winfows Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, Service Pack 2
Intel Core Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
Memory: 4.00 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB RAM

I'm actually able to play Starcraft II on it, and WoW at low settings. No worries if I can't (my home system is a first gen i7 with an AMD/ATI 5770 card, and smokes it at max settings, when I'm not being disconnected, sigh, and is no where close to bleeding edge anymore).

Thanks for you assistance.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This can play D3 fine. Unlike WoW / SC II, D3 does not rely as big on the CPU as they do. 8800M is a decent laptop GPU still.
Reply Quote
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce G105M

I guess my video card is crap, but can my computer run D3? If not would it be worth it to buy a new motherboard for my laptop or just buy an Alienware X51. Also if I have to get a new computer would you advise me in a good desktop computer for gaming. Remember im on a little bet of a budget.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]