Diablo® III

at first I loved WD... now not so much

86 Tauren Paladin
I went rotdogs at first and it was great... then they started dieing in under 5 seconds and I have another 55 waiting to recast them when large packs came at me so switched to fire bat soul harvest... now I am a melee range character with no melee defenses no speed bumps and I die like crazy... yeah if I can get my soul harvest off and run then firebat its ok but its no where near fun and you must must must do soul harvest to kill before you are OOM.

I was honestly looking for a range pet class and this character isnt it at least at level 17, its just too damn frustrating solo play wise even with the templar because half the mobs ignore him and come straight for you. Rot dogs can take agrro but more than like 3 mobs they are dead as well.

Going to keep going to level 19 but honestly demon hunter is calling to me very loudly now.
Reply Quote
Use frogs/aoe snare/dogs/soul harvest (+int aoe thing it owns)
Reply Quote
keep at it just a little bit more!! once you get the big guy(i named mine Frank) life gets a ton better. I actually was using haunt and spirit barrage for range and letting my dogs/Frank tank it up with the templar. Ive switch back to the AoE snare and now i am just ripping thru everything.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
@Lohfat:

Try this build if you are level 17
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acdZX!Y!aaaaa

(feel free to move the skills around, that's just my configuration)

General idea:
Grasp a group, run in and Soul Harvest, if you can't run out safely, Horrify.
Proceed to Spam [Dire Bats], picking up health globes that drop nearby.
If you run out of mana and anything is not dead, Poison Dart it to death.
Use Grasp again if a second pack tries to come in while you are still dealing with the first.
Horrify whenever you get swarmed and it is up.
Try and pick up Health globes every 5-8 seconds or so, to keep Gruesome Feast up.

At level 19 you will get Gargles the Tank, and this will only become easier to pull off. And keep in mind, it is already pretty easy. You should be able to almost one/two shot normal mobs with [Dire Bats], even without Soul Harvest stacks.
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/16/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acdiYT!bZ!aaZ.aa

This is the build I use at level 25. Soloed Belial on it.
Also did you make use of the Gold Auction House yet? Buy some rare equipment from there, aim at +Int and +Vit items, especially +Vit.

Also use some powerful, rare, ceremonial knife + a rare high defence shield and you should be a walking fortress of death.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE WITCH DOCTOR YET. Reach level 22, try the build I linked to you and follow my advice with the armor and weapons. You will not be disappointed.
Edited by Nemesis#2706 on 5/16/2012 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Learn2Gear and Learn2UseAH.

To be fair, I was also struggling right now at level 17. But I just pwned The Butcher on first attempt last night. So I think I am fine.
Reply Quote
I also struggle. Level 13 so i have a long way to go. Just cant seem to get my stuff right in order to make my life a little easier lol.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
05/16/2012 07:22 AMPosted by grex
I also struggle. Level 13 so i have a long way to go. Just cant seem to get my stuff right in order to make my life a little easier lol.

Try this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acdZ!Z!aa.a
(Alternatively use Toads if you prefer them, Mana shouldn't be that bad that you need Spiritual Attunement, Jungle Fortitude will give you extra survivability until level 14, when you can add Horrify to the skill set)

General idea:
Grasp a group, run in and Soul Harvest.
Proceed to Spam [Dire Bats], picking up health globes that drop nearby as necessary.
If you run out of mana and anything is not dead, Poison Dart it to death.
Use Grasp again if a second pack tries to come in while you are still dealing with the first.

Used this at level 13 and was blowing things up. You'll probably be one shotting mobs with Soul Harvest up, and even without it up, stuff should die to 1-3 bats.
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/16/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i hit the same dip with the dogs, drop em for fear or at least hold out till you hit 19 and get garg... for awhile i dropped dogs, but once i hit 19 i went back to dogs and the big guy and loving life. your "army" just keeps everything busy enough for you to run around an dmg as you please
Reply Quote
? My dogs were great until lvl 17 or so then they were dieing fast but id just blow them up wiping out large groups.

At 19 got zombie and zombie + dogs is a formidable tanks force
Reply Quote
Try this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acdZ!Z!aa.a
(Alternatively use Toads if you prefer them, Mana shouldn't be that bad that you need Spiritual Attunement, Jungle Fortitude will give you extra survivability until level 14, when you can add Horrify to the skill set)

This is why I hate the runes adn spells locked in at each level. Sorry I have to rage a bit. Just think if we had droppable runes where we could customize our character. We will all have similar builds at early levels, why am i forced to use poison darts at an early level, i hate that skill. I have a set build in mind with set runes, but i have to wait till 55 before i can even utilize my build... in the meantime, my character is a fake representation of the witch doctor I actually want to make.
Reply Quote
I cannot agree more. I loved WD, the concept and general feel.
But now at lvl 33 it even went so far I'm thinking of quitting Diablo aswell (and I'm a huge! diablo fan, been playing D2 for years and even took days of work to play D3).

And I think its mostly because of soulharvest, I honestly cant recall any single game where one class have been so dependant upon one single skill. Even with the rune where I "only" have to rebuff every 60 sec its one broken skill.

There is no build where you can aford not to take it, and when you use SH you also need one escapep mechanic... that is two of your 6 skills just to keep one buff up.
2 skill that can only be used in one way and 2 skills that you will have to spam for the rest of your WD-carrer. 2 skills that you are stuck with in boss encounters since at 60 you cant just respecc at bosses due to drop-buff.
Those 2 skills also dont work very well in party because of all CC up that your mates are trowing around and mobs hitting so much harder that it is very dangerous to run in and try to SH 5 stacks.

I wrote a very long and constructive post about this, but the forum decided to eat it for me.

But to sum up, as it is now WD is blizzards biggest failiour class when it comes to mechanick...and Ive been playing Diabli 1, 2 and wow since beta.
Reply Quote
Interesting- I was just about to ask if everyone else finds life as a witch doctor a walk in the park.. Can't really say my dogs are dieing much, they seem to hold fairly well (lvl 16 and just finished Act 1). I feel extremely overpowered and didn't even come close to death yet, but maybe I just got some lucky drops.

Skill setup is jungle fortitude, leaping spiders, groping eels, dire bats, dogs and sacrifice (corpse explosion yeah).
Reply Quote
But now at lvl 33 it even went so far I'm thinking of quitting Diablo aswell (and I'm a huge! diablo fan, been playing D2 for years and even took days of work to play D3).

And I think its mostly because of soulharvest, I honestly cant recall any single game where one class have been so dependant upon one single skill. Even with the rune where I "only" have to rebuff every 60 sec its one broken skill.

There is no build where you can aford not to take it, and when you use SH you also need one escapep mechanic... that is two of your 6 skills just to keep one buff up.
2 skill that can only be used in one way and 2 skills that you will have to spam for the rest of your WD-carrer. 2 skills that you are stuck with in boss encounters since at 60 you cant just respecc at bosses due to drop-buff.
Those 2 skills also dont work very well in party because of all CC up that your mates are trowing around and mobs hitting so much harder that it is very dangerous to run in and try to SH 5 stacks.

I wrote a very long and constructive post about this, but the forum decided to eat it for me.

But to sum up, as it is now WD is blizzards biggest failiour class when it comes to mechanick...and Ive been playing Diabli 1, 2 and wow since beta.

Yeah Im about level 20. If your soulharvest cast misses for whatever reason, you can be in trouble. I also found the primary/secondary etc slots made it not possible to use certain skills together that made sense. I liked that aoe slow skill, but couldnt use it because I needed another skill in that category. Maybe it'll make more sense later. Seems like it needs some rework.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

Yeah Im about level 20. If your soulharvest cast misses for whatever reason, you can be in trouble. I also found the primary/secondary etc slots made it not possible to use certain skills together that made sense. I liked that aoe slow skill, but couldnt use it because I needed another skill in that category. Maybe it'll make more sense later. Seems like it needs some rework.

In the main menu, gameplay options on the right hand column at the bottom, turn on elective mode, then you can set almost any skill to any mouse button/hotkey, including taking multiples in one category if you like.
Reply Quote
why does no one else seem to like corpse spiders?

I am still low, but spamming spiders with dogs and grasp nothing gets to me....
Reply Quote
As a WD I tanked 3 man normal act 3 / 4 without soulharvest. WD is insane at survivability if equiped right.

Flashfire bombs
pestilence locust
spirit walk
mass confusion
acid rain
and big daddy gargantuan

I found two key things that upped my tankness heaps, a good shield and +life on hit stats. With those two, you can take hits and +life back with all your stacked locust and acid rain poisons. Spam flashfire bombs and u can mow down any group without being at risk. Most of my items are geared towards +gold and magic items so my int is VERY average for my level, cause im a farmer at heart lol. IF it goes south you have mass confusion and spirit walk to get you out.

Going off topic but what i'm saying is get over initial hump of being a WD and the rewards are just. Farming god

Also i read that if you want to go pet, should stake Vit and thorns but haven't tried that myself. The later passives also buff your pets heaps and make them very survivable.
Reply Quote

In the main menu, gameplay options on the right hand column at the bottom, turn on elective mode, then you can set almost any skill to any mouse button/hotkey, including taking multiples in one category if you like.

Cool. Ill try that. To be honest, the WD has been dominating. Almost done with act 2 i think, died only twice and not really playing careful.
Reply Quote

Soul harvest gives very strong reward. Getting into range to use soul harvest on a big mob with a squishy caster gives very strong risk. it also forces a sacrifice in utility.

Sounds like working as intended to me.
Edited by Eshi#1215 on 5/16/2012 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm level 25 right now and I think the game has been overly easy as a WD so far, I've messed around with all the abilities numerous times and right now my favorite build is having, firebomb, acid cloud, grasp of the dead, and gorgantuan...the other abilites i switch in and out from time to time.

Open up on a huge group with grasp, then hit em with acid and almost everything just drops....if its a harder mob, hit them with a bunch of firebombs. (i like using darts or bats on the elite mobs.

Dont forget you can go into options and unlock your ability bars so you can use multiple abilities from each "spell class"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]