Diablo® III

Indepth Guide to Monk Sustained Solo

Also, some of these runes are not available to my level 36 Monk... what replacements would you suggest?

p.s. thanks for the heads up on the Elective mode, that's really cool!
Edited by ScubaFish#1744 on 5/19/2012 10:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Guardians Path does not work with sword and board, I've just tested it. If you're running sword and board I suggest Seize The Initiative as third passive. I don't think you mentioned this passive throughout your whole guide, you don't like it or?

As far as the rest goes, great guide, I already used a similair build and it works really good.

Sieze the initiative is amazing once you start to get some dex and I vastly prefer to run a shield and sieze.

I think this is the build most monks are naturally coming to. Way of the Fist, Serenity, Blinding Flash, Mantra of Healing, and Sweeping wind is fairly agreed upon. The last skill can go a bunch of different ways.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 10:27 PMPosted by ScubaFish
I noticed on your skill link, it has two "Defense"s... don't think you can use BF and Serenity at the same time, LOL!

L2electivemode
Reply Quote
I noticed on your skill link, it has two "Defense"s... don't think you can use BF and Serenity at the same time, LOL!

Options - Gameplay - Elective mode = I can mix and match whatever skills I want and I am not bound to having only one of a certain type. LOL!
Reply Quote
The Guardians Path does not work with sword and board, I've just tested it. If you're running sword and board I suggest Seize The Initiative as third passive. I don't think you mentioned this passive throughout your whole guide, you don't like it or?

As far as the rest goes, great guide, I already used a similair build and it works really good.

Sieze the initiative is amazing once you start to get some dex and I vastly prefer to run a shield and sieze.

I think this is the build most monks are naturally coming to. Way of the Fist, Serenity, Blinding Flash, Mantra of Healing, and Sweeping wind is fairly agreed upon. The last skill can go a bunch of different ways.

Their comes a point though that running dual 1h just ends up better. Dodging attacks vs mitigating only a portion of the damage is way better. So while you may use seize up to a point you wont be using it once you find better 1 handers.
Reply Quote
I really like this build, it is really similar to what I use (only difference is I switch out ally for dash). How would this change if you were running in a group?

Also with no thunderclap/dashing strike/tempest rush, do you find your mobility too restricted? I tend to use dashing strike to snipe off pesky ranged casters who hang outside of battle, but I don't know what I would replace it with.

Also how do you use Blinding Flash, especially if you are in a group? I find that in a group somebody's AoE will unblind them pretty quick, do you use it mainly for the 30% chance of enemies missing? I think it is a really good ability but not quite sure how to best use it, if you could explain to me it would be great

Edit: ^^ Scuba you a bit late to the party, if you go Options>Gameplay>Elective Mode you are able to juggle your abilities any way you want. So you can have all 4 defensive if you so desire...

Im unaware of damage breaking blind. You can damage them through the blind and they will remain blinded.
Reply Quote
i need to run with a 2hand polearm but this build works wonders for me, yesterday i crapped out against a lot of ability combinations with my buddy.

soloed act 1 with 5 stacks up all the time until server down, couldnt try skellking though.

is it possible to kill him without the 1hand shield? i got 1 shotted yesterday :(
and changing spells isnt really an option either :D
Reply Quote
is it possible that I can play inferno mode with this build?
because so many people playing inferno almost(maybe 100%) have 1h+shield.
Reply Quote
You can.
Reply Quote
Spunkify could you tell us what kind of gear you are using and what stats you prefer? During nightmare I switched away from healing on hit / kill to focus just on dext. and vit. with some attack speed.

On WotHF, is it important / better then the others? So far I've tried different skills / runes but I always go back to Crippling Wave + Mangle. 143% weapon damage is nice but I especially like the to hit everything all the time, even behind me.
Reply Quote

Every three posts.. I swear. One of these guys.
Reply Quote
Why do you prefer/use Way of the Hundred Fists over Deadly Reach. I tried WOTH but couldnt really get use to and it just generally seemed Deadly Reach was better. Is there something I am missing as to why you chose it as your primary attack?
Reply Quote
I love how roughly 6-7 people jumped down my throat about the Elective mode issue, even when I corrected myself immediately after the FIRST person gave me a helpful answer, yet NO one responded to my second legitimate query. Thanks guys!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
The game has been out less than a week. They ought to give you a break.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Yewdead
Why do you prefer/use Way of the Hundred Fists over Deadly Reach. I tried WOTH but couldnt really get use to and it just generally seemed Deadly Reach was better. Is there something I am missing as to why you chose it as your primary attack?

I like it because its a mini teleport that gives me higher single target damage then the other left click abilities while stil also doing good AOE around it. You essentially get 3 perks in one (small gap closer, single target dps dot, aoe). The gap closer is very crucial since you dont want sweeping winds to fall off during a fight.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 12:53 PMPosted by ScubaFish
I love how roughly 6-7 people jumped down my throat about the Elective mode issue, even when I corrected myself immediately after the FIRST person gave me a helpful answer, yet NO one responded to my second legitimate query. Thanks guys!

I wast jumping down your throat about you not knowing about it. I was "jumping down your throat" for being so rude in the way you responded. Instead of asking why I had 2 defensive or how I had 2 defensive you assumed I didnt know what I was doing and came up with a build that was invalid.
Reply Quote

is it possible to kill him without the 1hand shield? i got 1 shotted yesterday :(

when he laughs, move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFTg9gHwzoE
Reply Quote
Didn't mean to offend you buddy, I assure you that wasn't my intention, I was just completely unaware of the elective mode thing and thought there was a glitch on the skill calculator or whatever because I didn't know it was possible to arrange your skills like that in-game. Please don't take those sorts of things personally or read too deeply into tone inflections online... I was wrong to "assume" I suppose, but likewise, so were you.

But, I digress. Sincere apologies, I've actually been enjoying the build quite a bit. My monk is level 41 now so I'll be able to use those runes soon.
Reply Quote
spunkify from LOL?
Reply Quote
are you using this build with a shield or no?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]