Diablo® III

Indepth Guide to Monk Sustained Solo

I just started using this, it is working really well
Reply Quote
I find this build to be pretty much useless against champions and elites... it's great if I want to clear trash though. I die in about 3 seconds against anything with ground damage... the ally is kind of useless, he dies in 1.5 seconds :P

Edit: In inferno.

Edit 2: After getting most of the way through Act 1 with way more deaths than I like... I think I'm gonna farm Act 4 hell for a bit :P Need some better gear I think.
Edited by Dromidas#1547 on 5/20/2012 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just started hell act I... so ready to get to inferno!!!
Edited by Ccecil#1541 on 5/20/2012 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A bit unorthodox, but I've had success with:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdXgTh!YXU!ZcYYYa

Requires an extremely active playstyle with a lot of cooldown management.

BoH (Infused with Light): Spirit Generation
Crippling Wave (Concussion): Mitigation, DPS
Dashing Strike (Blinding Speed): Mobility
Serenity (Ascension) and SSS (Sustained) means immune for about 1/3 of the time
SSS also for burst
Everything else is both a Defensive CD and a Heal for the time in between
Found I could use get away with MoE instead of MoH (BoP), but can toggle between as needed
Edited by nbennet#1780 on 5/20/2012 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:55 PMPosted by SmoothArea
spunkify from LOL?

Haha I cant believe someone recognized me yes.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 03:21 PMPosted by HotSauce
are you using this build with a shield or no?

No currently dual wielding since the dodge is much more useful then only blocking a portion of the damage.
Reply Quote
Dont u use one with everything in inferno?
I heard that in hell/inferno difficulty resistance is really important for surviving.
Reply Quote
I find this build to be pretty much useless against champions and elites... it's great if I want to clear trash though. I die in about 3 seconds against anything with ground damage... the ally is kind of useless, he dies in 1.5 seconds :P

Edit: In inferno.

Edit 2: After getting most of the way through Act 1 with way more deaths than I like... I think I'm gonna farm Act 4 hell for a bit :P Need some better gear I think.

Thats the thing. When I started Inferno my weapons werent up to snuff and so I couldnt dish out the damage to champions and elites and sustain in the mean time. Once I got some new weapons though I found it much easier to progress.
Reply Quote
Dont u use one with everything in inferno?
I heard that in hell/inferno difficulty resistance is really important for surviving.

I only use it when I encounter elites/champion packs with things like arcane and desecration/poison. Otherwise I still use the dodge perk.
Reply Quote
what passive do u change when using one with everything?
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:31 PMPosted by S14N
what passive do u change when using one with everything?

The Guardians Path
Edited by Spunkify#1559 on 5/20/2012 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Spunkify
Guardians Path

when using one with everything, do u use 1h+shiled ?
Reply Quote
Guardians Path

when using one with everything, do u use 1h+shiled ?

Typically no unless they are jailer/waller where I cant get out of the AoE fast enough. But even then I havent used it a lot. Right now im in Act 2 inferno and have been using mostly 1h.
Edited by Spunkify#1559 on 5/20/2012 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I really like this build also, my own one is very similar moving into Act 3 of Hell I use Mantra of Conviction and use that to spam. But this guide has shown me that I may need to move toward Mantra of Healing for the additional shields.

I also would never use Dashing Strike - I find it unstable and buggy, just trying to make the skill useful at all has given me headaches I find it the worst skill we can utilise! My current debate is Mystical Ally(Water/Earth Ally) vs Breath of Heaven (Runed to Increase Dmg after) this discussion is very through provoking!

Im also using 2 generators - Thunder (Mobility/Blink/Knockbacks) and Crippling Wave (Aoe) But maybe I need to consider dropping one - I can't see myself ever dropping Thunderfists and no idea how I would Aoe without Crippling Wave unless I picked up Sweeping Wind but into hell Im not confident in it! Keep the ideas coming this is a great post and an interesting discussion!
Reply Quote
Are you the same Spunkify from MMOHut? :o
Reply Quote
Great build! Before this I did not realize the importance of resolve, but now I switched out blinding flash with Crippling Wave - Concussion mobs attack hurt way less. One more thing I did differently was I swapped Guardian's Path with Combination Strike and that gave me a huge boost in DPS. Thanks for the inspiration.
Reply Quote
I just tested the different combos discussed in act 3 Hell mode for a couple of hours, and apologies for my flame of Dashing Strike before, I can see how it is useful now.
My favourite combo atm is:

FoT
CW
Serenity
DS (Or Sweeping Wind)
MoH
BF

Passive Skills: Transcendence, Seize the Initiative, One With Everything (Or Guardians Path)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWgdQY!YXU!aZacbb

Its working very well, only Elite packs troubling me were Arcane, Wall, Illusion (All together) Took a lot of kiting and clutch Serenities/Pots - that was where DS shined!
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Spunkify
spunkify from LOL?

Haha I cant believe someone recognized me yes.

Make a video for MMOhut! I wanna see how you play your monk! thanks spunkify!
Reply Quote
what is your dps and health at right now
Edited by Norzy#1502 on 5/21/2012 12:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]