Diablo® III

Wizard in Inferno (Builds)

85 Tauren Warrior
Hey guys, I'm working my way through Inferno at the moment and I thought I'd get some opinions on solid builds, as well as ask for a review of my own (which seems to be working pretty well).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ilXPTS!XYg!ZbZZZb

My HP: 23726
My DPS: 8107
Progress: In Act 1 Inferno

I'm torn between 3 passives atm for the last Passive slot. In the link about, I'm using Critical Mass which is what I'm about to try out because it seems like Disintegrate/Blizzard would cause quite a few crits since they're hitting so many targets so fast but there has to be something more to it or it'd be OP.

The other two passive I'm looking at besides Critical Mass (Crits have a chance to reduce CDs by 1 second).. is Evocation (15% CD reduction) and Temporal Flux (Slows targets hit with Arcane abilities by 30% for 2 seconds.. to kite)

Opinions? Experiences? I'm not interested in Hell builds.. Inferno-only discussion here please. I prefer grouping with others, not solo play. Please post your DPS and HP under your build.

EDIT:

I've tried using Slow Time (Time Warp) instead of Storm Armor (Power of The Storms) and I may even prefer that.
Edited by PKHustle#1444 on 5/19/2012 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am working my way through inferno as well.

What do you do if you run out of energy, just run and let it come back?

As for Temporal Flux. Kiting with Disintegrate is pretty Meh in general.

As for Critical Mass and Disintegrate. They do not combo well, unless they have fixed the disintegrate bug where it cannot crit.

I see what you are trying to do. Keep prism armor up so your disintegrate and blizzard are really low costed, reduce its CD so you can keep casting it.
How is that working for you?
Reply Quote
I just finished Act 1 on inferno with my buddies last night on my wizard. The build I used was:

Left click: Arcane missle with the highest single dps rune
Right Click: Disinegrate with chaos nexus rune

Q: Diamond Armor (double absorb rune
W: Energy armor (the very last rune)
E: Arcane Hydra's
R: Mirror images (5 image rune)

Passives: 1. Arcane 30% slow 2. Illusionist 3. the one that makes you take less damage(the first one).

My stats are I have around 5.3k armor, and 400-500 resistances in everything, around 30k health and 12k damage. I like this build because I am still durable and do enough damage. The butcher on inferno was able to throw his hardest hits at me and it was only taking me to about half life. Also during the elite packs I don't die instantly if some of them target me, I can even take two or three of them and kite them away from the group while they kill of the straggler. Rinse and repeat. I have had a very positive experience with this thought I would share.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I am working my way through inferno as well.

What do you do if you run out of energy, just run and let it come back?

As for Temporal Flux. Kiting with Disintegrate is pretty Meh in general.

As for Critical Mass and Disintegrate. They do not combo well, unless they have fixed the disintegrate bug where it cannot crit.

I see what you are trying to do. Keep prism armor up so your disintegrate and blizzard are really low costed, reduce its CD so you can keep casting it.
How is that working for you?

I can kite very easily, but Elite mobs can be VERY tough if they have the right attributes.. Unfortunately I am running out of resources quickly, they didn't fix the Disintegrate Bug.

@Person above me - I like that build, I'm going to give it a try. High damage and energy shield provides some survivability, but I think it'd take a competent group. I'll comment once I've tried it.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcQXYO!YcT!baZacb

or swap frost nova for magic weapons if u got a tank i swear its the only build for a wizard inferno everything else is a joke dont think i casted blizzard meteor or half the other abilities more than twice the whole game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
KoR
Just got done with Act 1 Inferno solo, actually turned out a bit easier than with the friends I run with (looks like someone isn't pulling their weight lol), have about 25k hp and 20k DPS. I'm pretty happy with this build actually, doing a bit of farming before heading to Act 2, it's been letting me consistently kill all the champion packs before Leoric for that stacking buff.

Anyway, I won't get into the specifics since not all of it is important, but the main things are,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aRSQPX!YUb!caZYZa

Magic Missile (Seeker rune)
Arcane Hydra

Magic Weapon
Teleport
Mirror Image
Diamond Armor

As for passives, Temporal Flux is a must, it makes everything you do apply a snare, and since the Arcane Hydra attacks via AoE, it applies an AoE snare. The hydra is also really good (probably the best) at dishing out damage while you're kiting champion packs around, which you will be doing often. I just don't see spells like Disintegrate being viable when you have to move all the time or die.

The main thing I like is that you can get nearly everything you need to attack with with just two spells - single target, AoE, and snaring via Temporal Flux. It frees up lots of space for defensive spells which are sorely needed in Inferno.

PS: Personally if DPS on a boss is really needed I switch the two offensive spells to Meteor (Star Pact) and Venom Hydra, for maximum DPS without having to spend too much time standing still. On bosses who don't really move it does ridiculous damage as well, it was the only way I managed to beat Inferno Butcher's enrage timer.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 5/19/2012 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just got done with Act 1 Inferno solo, actually turned out a bit easier than with the friends I run with (looks like someone isn't pulling their weight lol), have about 25k hp and 20k DPS. I'm pretty happy with this build actually, doing a bit of farming before heading to Act 2, it's been letting me consistently kill all the champion packs before Leoric for that stacking buff.

Anyway, I won't get into the specifics since not all of it is important, but the main things are,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aRSQPX!YUb!caZYZa

Magic Missile (Seeker rune)
Arcane Hydra

Magic Weapon
Teleport
Mirror Image
Diamond Armor

As for passives, Temporal Flux is a must, it makes everything you do apply a snare, and since the Arcane Hydra attacks via AoE, it applies an AoE snare. The hydra is also really good (probably the best) at dishing out damage while you're kiting champion packs around, which you will be doing often. I just don't see spells like Disintegrate being viable when you have to move all the time or die.

The main thing I like is that you can get nearly everything you need to attack with with just two spells - single target, AoE, and snaring via Temporal Flux. It frees up lots of space for defensive spells which are sorely needed in Inferno.

PS: Personally if DPS on a boss is really needed I switch the two offensive spells to Meteor (Star Pact) and Venom Hydra, for maximum DPS without having to spend too much time standing still. On bosses who don't really move it does ridiculous damage as well, it was the only way I managed to beat Inferno Butcher's enrage timer.

Sounds pretty solid. It looks like you are banking on the fact that you aren't going to get hit at all (inference from all the defensive spells.) And it looks like you could be pretty successful doing that with all the abilities. My build is more focused on planning on getting hit a few times but being able to survive it. Mirror image makes disinegrate pretty viable IMO because you can unload a full set of arcane power just fine without taking any lethal damage.
Reply Quote
What about stats/options on items? Is lifesteal crucial for any of those builds?
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Mockingbird

I've never had this problem with disintegrate. You may just have low crit.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Celthelion
What about stats/options on items? Is lifesteal crucial for any of those builds?

Not necessary at all for mine. I basically try to keep my damage above 10k, my hp around 30k and then my primary focus is armor/resistances.
Reply Quote
I wonder how effective these builds are based on your stats. For those who aren't doing 20k DPS I don't think some of these builds would be viable.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 04:55 PMPosted by myztikrice
I wonder how effective these builds are based on your stats. For those who aren't doing 20k DPS I don't think some of these builds would be viable.

Mine has been fine with 10-12k damage. But I haven't tried act 2 yet. I think I'm going to farm act 1 a bit more.
Reply Quote
In Act 2 inferno and heres my build I use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZSRTm!fYV!bbZZZc

23kdps 30k hp

The group I run with is monk WD and Demon Hunter. We just got into Inferno and finished up King Leo. One thing I love about this class is Archon. It just shuts down groups of mobs and is extremely useful for burning down elite packs when you need to burst things down before you get overwhelmed by the rest of the pack.

I don't ever use Diamond skin as much as I like it. Mainly because in later difficulties elite packs just tear thru it. So I just go pure offensive and try to take out as many as possible before dying too a Arcane Beam ;/
Reply Quote
Which spells are considered Arcane anyways? I always thought Disintegrate was considered Fire damage, if that's the case then with Temporal Flux, almost all of our spells allow us to kite except Lightning?

And if Disintegrate isn't Fire then which spell would even work with Conflagration?

Wish Blizzard would include the damage type on the tooltip of each skill..
Reply Quote

23kdps 30k hp

The group I run with is monk WD and Demon Hunter. We just got into Inferno and finished up King Leo. One thing I love about this class is Archon. It just shuts down groups of mobs and is extremely useful for burning down elite packs when you need to burst things down before you get overwhelmed by the rest of the pack.

I don't ever use Diamond skin as much as I like it. Mainly because in later difficulties elite packs just tear thru it. So I just go pure offensive and try to take out as many as possible before dying too a Arcane Beam ;/

how can u have 23k dps?
Reply Quote
What I got from this thread is that there's not a "Best build" everyone is getting theyr way through hard content with very different builds. Makes me relieved, I'm gonna go back to my Wizard and find a build I like on my own =)
Reply Quote
Which spells are considered Arcane anyways? I always thought Disintegrate was considered Fire damage, if that's the case then with Temporal Flux, almost all of our spells allow us to kite except Lightning?

And if Disintegrate isn't Fire then which spell would even work with Conflagration?

Wish Blizzard would include the damage type on the tooltip of each skill..

Disenigrate is arcane (it says it right in the tool tip. As long as you have the advanced tool tips turned on.) Conflagration is probably have to do with meteor, fire hydra etc.
Reply Quote

23kdps 30k hp

how can u have 23k dps?

thats with Buff
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Not many people using Energy Armor/Force Armor. I can see wizards using these builds just getting 1 shot by mobs a lot, not to mention elites. I've been using the following build for solo/group play and I can solo groups of elites quite easily and probably only die a handful of times per act unless we find something ridiculous like mortar illusionist.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RcQPXO!fdU!bYYcaY
Reply Quote
Not many people using Energy Armor/Force Armor. I can see wizards using these builds just getting 1 shot by mobs a lot, not to mention elites. I've been using the following build for solo/group play and I can solo groups of elites quite easily and probably only die a handful of times per act unless we find something ridiculous like mortar illusionist.

Yeah, like I stated previously, I was able to take the hardest hit from the butcher with a 4 man group and only get taken down to half life. If you build enough resistance/armor, suriveability gets a lot more likely.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]