Diablo® III

To inferno monk tanks

Any of you guys actually "tanking?"

Throughout the game, mostly in Hell, I found myself in the tank role. Pulling all the mobs to me, casting a CC, pressing a heal, using my shields etc. But in inferno, it seems like this strategy only works on white mobs and when it comes to the rare mobs taking hits almost always means death.

The way I've adapted to it is using moves like crippling wave with tsunami rune, starting my attack animation a little bit before the mob gets to me so I can get that aoe slow around me to help my team mates kite them. I also throw down inner sanctuary to block off narrow passages so my team also gets more time to attack, also still doing my primary attack a few yards away from mobs, because getting hit still means death.

I know I'm fresh out of hell and probably under geared but I was wondering how the rest of you are doing? I can tank maybe 4-5 hits from a rare mob before my healing fails me and I'm just relying on mitigation procs from block and dodge.

Thanks
Reply Quote
Yea the white mobs aren't the problem, its the rare mobs I was just wondering if any one was "tank and spanking" them. I'm just trying to gain some insight on how to approach these mobs since "kiting" them are the only ways I see handling them.

kudos for the game of thrones ref
Reply Quote
What do you do if you run out of spirit?

Just be super careful with your left clicks. It stinks cause you have to go up to them and hit them, but often that can mean death. So you can't really even build spirit /:

I don't know what to do in this situation.
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Mage
What do you do if you run out of spirit?

Just be super careful with your left clicks. It stinks cause you have to go up to them and hit them, but often that can mean death. So you can't really even build spirit /:

I don't know what to do in this situation.
You hold shift and attack them from max range, out of their melee range hopefully. You can also look for opportunities to exploit controlled enemies for a few hits, frozen/stunned mobs might get you a swing or two so long as you're careful.

It is not fun being a melee class in content that relies so heavily on kiting. I'd suggest changes that give barbs/monks reasonable medium-range builds that do OK damage, but I'm not even sure where to begin... Deadly Reach alone is not going to be enough.
Edited by Soulcakeduck#1422 on 5/20/2012 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
28 Worgen Mage
It's complete BS b/c we're cornholed into some dumb spec that takes full advantage of what I assume is a broken skill in quickening and even then we have NO survivability whatsoever when we go up against anything stronger than a normal minion. There's no freedom to build your monk as a DPS build with any of the cool skills that we actually have and even in our "broken" spec we can't do anything because getting in melee range of any rare mob means we insta die.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Any difficult set of rare mobs in inferno are not tankable. Anybody that says otherwise knows about as much as jon snow. As for tanking the white mobs. I have absolutely no trouble assuming i'm the first one to attack the mobs. Use mantra of healing with the "boon of protection" rune and a fast 1 hander (1.4 attacks per second minimum and 1.7+ preferred). Set up your breath of heaven to use the "infused with light" rune and use that as a cd to give extra spirit when you are starving. Finally use the fists of thunder with the "quickening" rune for extra spirit. Assuming you chain your CD's correctly and are not undergeared for inferno in general you should do fine against white mobs.

p.s. I just really wanted to say again that you will not be able to tank those hard elite mobs usually so don't expect to.

Personally i use 2 fast 1 handers over the favoured 1h/shield setup, i find the extra spirit regen from attack speed is enough to sustain my MoH:BoP Constantly during fights.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Artius
It's complete BS b/c we're cornholed into some dumb spec that takes full advantage of what I assume is a broken skill in quickening and even then we have NO survivability whatsoever when we go up against anything stronger than a normal minion. There's no freedom to build your monk as a DPS build with any of the cool skills that we actually have and even in our "broken" spec we can't do anything because getting in melee range of any rare mob means we insta die.

Agree X 1000.

Disappointed with monk and with my choice in it.

It seemed so cool and so promising.
Reply Quote
Barbarians have the same problem in Hell onwards, whilst white mobs are fine anything that spawns as a rare, or named mob is going to murk you if you try to go toe to toe with it... At least in current gear levels.
Reply Quote
Basically this game is all about "kiting". And most ppl don't like kiting. Blizzard should have come up with a unique mechanics rather than just doing these "random enchanted" mobs which are unkillable as a melee.

The only way to solve these issues is to let Blizzard change the whole game, which is not possible. They should have done with better mechanics in the game.
Edited by Azn#1184 on 5/20/2012 1:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Artius

I agree, should have rolled a ranged class.
Reply Quote
The rare or elite are breaking the game for melee classes in inferno.
Currently ive like 55% dmg reduction, 50% resistance to all, 40% dodge and 30k hp and still i get my !@# handed with a single blow from a rare mob. Do I really have to stack up to 90% dmg reduction(is that even possible?) to have at least some sustainability?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
The rare or elite are breaking the game for melee classes in inferno.
Currently ive like 55% dmg reduction, 50% resistance to all, 40% dodge and 30k hp and still i get my !@# handed with a single blow from a rare mob. Do I really have to stack up to 90% dmg reduction(is that even possible?) to have at least some sustainability?

You have confirmed my suspicions.

I am playing on Hell difficulty and it's just ridiculous. I want to use Mantra of Conviction and have lots of cool mobility and DPS choices but you can't because even on white mobs you die too quick.

CAN ANYONE AGREE WITH ME ON THIS > WAVE OF LIGHT is the BEST monk ability on hell+ difficulty elite mobs. I rune for lower spirit cost and I usually pop Serenity, run up to the elites, bash them a bit, run away, heal myself, and smash em away with Wave of light... that is the usual deal.

Any mob with 'Desecrate' or 'Plagued' in their name, just run the !@#$ away and let the ranged deal with it. ZzZzZzZzZzZzzz.......
Edited by KillerInstct#6961 on 5/20/2012 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Until such a time as you are properly geared, my understanding is that it won't be possible to tank rare mobs. (This is coming from my friends, not me. Take take that as you will).
Reply Quote
Blizzard did say that inferno was going to be hard and you'd have to farm it. Everyone just walks in expecting to be able to solo inferno diablo in 40 seconds on day 5.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
SOS
uhmmm. .i only have a lvl 41 monk .. nightmare act 2. . im just saying,I die quick as !@#$ as an melee/Tank even at nightmare with Approx. 37ish ilvl, all yellow items. . i Use Mantra of healing and all spirit regen,spirit spent = health, 2 1 hander and each hit + life with 4k HP. . this sucks TT
Reply Quote
Theres a reason Inferno was added in after Hell....to be as impossibly hard as it can be.....its not meant for every single person who beats Hell to be able to tackle it....its only for Elites that have Elite gear and just because an item is Yellow doesnt mean its good....Just started Inferno through act 2 I solo'd so far...45k hp 11K dps (use fire ally) he tanks alot, 234 resis all and a few items with extra dmg reduc % from melee and ranged mobs... I have all elite gear that sells for very high gold on auctions which I have all found (cept a few pieces). So if your having probs search for some gear on auctions....you can find really great stuff for low prices cause some ppl dont know what its worth still.

P.S YES YOU WILL DIE THATS THE POINT

extra note : Find all gear that has 50+ Dex 50+ Vita (or sockets for vita and dex)
Edited by CJBulldogs#1752 on 5/20/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only people who are new at Diablo games complain about difficulty. Difficulty is what keeps this game alive
Reply Quote
Theres a reason Inferno was added in after Hell....to be as impossibly hard as it can be.....its not meant for every single person who beats Hell to be able to tackle it....its only for Elites that have Elite gear and just because an item is Yellow doesnt mean its good....Just started Inferno through act 2 I solo'd so far...45k hp 11K dps (use fire ally) he tanks alot, 234 resis all and a few items with extra dmg reduc % from melee and ranged mobs... I have all elite gear that sells for very high gold on auctions which I have all found (cept a few pieces). So if your having probs search for some gear on auctions....you can find really great stuff for low prices cause some ppl dont know what its worth still.

P.S YES YOU WILL DIE THATS THE POINT

extra note : Find all gear that has 50+ Dex 50+ Vita (or sockets for vita and dex)

What's your setup?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]