Diablo® III

What are the odds of Blizzard "fixing" pets?

Do you think we'll ever see it, if so how soon and in what way? Will the runes be buffed or will the pets themselves be given better scaling? It's just bizarre that despite all of the promo videos making this seem like a pet class the pets turned out being useless in higher difficulties.
Edited by ItzNotTrue#1528 on 5/20/2012 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Shaman
Unless the runes are buffed to "Increases health by 500% and decreases cooldown to 10 seconds", I'm thinking it's going to need to be a more fundamental change.
Reply Quote
As much as I hate admitting it I agree with you. I always use summoning classes if they're available on any game, period, even if they suck I stick with them. Sadly though the witch doctor can't even be a summoning / pet class on higher difficulties. I'm in Act I Hell and even the Gargantuan is getting overwhelmed in a matter of seconds.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:56 PMPosted by ItzNotTrue
As much as I hate admitting it I agree with you. I always use summoning classes if they're available on any game, period, even if they suck I stick with them. Sadly though the witch doctor can't even be a summoning / pet class on higher difficulties. I'm in Act I Hell and even the Gargantuan is getting overwhelmed in a matter of seconds.

yep waiting and hoping for a necro in the expansion.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:52 PMPosted by ItzNotTrue
It's just bizarre that despite all of the promo videos making this seem like a pet class the pets turned out being useless in higher difficulties.

In higher difficulties? I think the zombie dogs suck as soon as you hit Act 3 normal... WD was my first class and I'm quite disappointed, since he is somewhat of the successor to the Necro i hoped for some cool summoning spells but.. well guess I have to wait for the real necro in the expansion. *crosses fingers*
Reply Quote
I always play pet classes first in any game and I must admit they screwed up. The wd is as much a pet class as the guy who plays ironman is a swimsuit model.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Wintermane
I always play pet classes first in any game and I must admit they screwed up. The wd is as much a pet class as the guy who plays ironman is a swimsuit model.

lol I giggled it that
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Cataan
Unless the runes are buffed to "Increases health by 500% and decreases cooldown to 10 seconds", I'm thinking it's going to need to be a more fundamental change.

apparently this was beta tested....
Reply Quote
I used dogs up to Act III NM, only then were they dying so fast that I couldn't justify using them. They may not last long but in my eyes the damage they soak up is damage that could be going to you, that stops working when they die in one hit though.
Reply Quote
There's a pretty good chance Blizzard will support their game with patches and updates

One just to remember how long the damn thing's been out for and be a little patient.

Also, pets aren't completely useless in hell. My little fetishes do wonders as a distraction :).
Reply Quote
Not to mention basic logic flaws in the pets themselves. You can have up to 4 Dogs, a Garntuan and a Follower, and all six will often attack different targets. Hardly an effective use of dps. They should have logic scripted into them (applies to fetishes as well) that goes along the lines of "attack the last target owner used a primary ability on. Effect lingers for 5 seconds. If no target has been primary clicked in the last 5 seconds, attack any nearby enemy".

Also, with how weak they are, we should be able to have at least 10 dogs running around. Being limited to 4 kinda sucks when enemies on normal can three shot em.
Reply Quote
I just started nightmare and I am by no means defending the weakness of the pets but I'm finding a lot of use for dogs with final gift and Gruesome feast. Obviously the dogs aredieing quickly but it's helping out a little.

I'll likely be swapping the dogs out for fetishes (and hex for totem) when I can reduce the cool down a bit more. 2 minutes is too long.
Reply Quote
The only problem I have with pets is their survivability.

I don't get all the complaints about their dps, pet's arent for DPS they are meat shields, distractions so you can kill things without being beat on or chased down.

I've discovered a build i put together that deals with the issue well.

But if you are looking for a glass cannon type DPS build, pets are not where you should be looking for it. pet builds are survivability builds not dps builds. and often that's much better, because when you are dead you aren't doing much damage are ya?

I also dont get the complaints about gargantuan dieing, with my build the gargantuan almost never dies, and in the rare offchance he does, the Cooldowns been refreshed anyways and just resummon him.

The only thing is zombie dogs die every now and again you'll lose one or two, and some champion packs will just kill all of them, but my build deals with that by resetting the cooldown faster so when they do go down i can resummon them right away.
Edited by Keldrath#1718 on 5/20/2012 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Shaman
05/20/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Entropy
The only problem I have with pets is their survivability.

That's everyone's complaint, so not sure your point.

I mean, even if they did amazing DPS, the fact that they die as soon as they touch anything kind of makes it all irrelevant.
Edited by Apathy#1314 on 5/20/2012 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
110 Human Warrior
WD Pets receive 2.5 scaling of WD stats and are immune to AoE abilities.

There, I fixed them.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Death Knight
My Garg will survive through anything in Hell, gets 2 hit by whites in inferno.
Reply Quote
I hope Blizzard does patch pet survivability. I'd be fine if dogs don't do that well in Inferno, but the Garg should at least hold his own against whites.

If not I will probably re-roll to a Wizard or Demon Hunter, but I would hate to have wasted all this time leveling my Witch Doctor, which I otherwise do enjoy.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't think dogs are meant to be a pet in the traditional sense, though they are still useless as fodder because of how dumb and weak they are. Same issue with garg. It just seems pointless to include the abilities because they add nothing to a nightmare+ loadout, while taking up valuable slots for defensive cds.

Just because of how useless they are even in act 3+ normal I suspect a big buff is incoming. Even an AOE damage reduction like was done to make pet classes more viable in WoW would go a long way (though not nearly enough).
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Késha
Just because of how useless they are even in act 3+ normal

Um, what? What made you decide that pets were worthless that early? I've played up to Act II NM, and my dogs have been doing just fine. And I think my Garg has died... maybe once or twice? Ever. I can't imagine why you'd think pets are even remotely bad in Normal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]