Diablo® III

What are the odds of Blizzard "fixing" pets?

85 Draenei Shaman
hell + they are pretty subpar, but there is nothing better since we have terrible abilities. Necroshaft again, should of known playing a diablo pet class ;).
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Wigs
hell + they are pretty subpar, but there is nothing better since we have terrible abilities. Necroshaft again, should of known playing a diablo pet class ;).

In fairness, the D2 necro was one of the best pet classes I have ever encountered. Only EQ1 springs to mind right away as a worthy competitor. You were heavily item dependent to be effective in hell difficulty, but some good +skill item stacking like arm of leoric and golemlord amulet as well as some aura rune words on yourself and the hireling would let you faceroll everything in Hell up to the point where you could go on a solo rampage in an 8 player server. I never got around to doing any uber trist runs though, so I couldn't comment on that, but between my level 43 skellies and skelly mages, 35 revives, fanaticism, might, prayer and thorns aura and decrepify I never met anything that did not get stomped.

Not that I would expect the WD to ever become a lagomancer like the D2 necro, but a proper pet class wouldn't be a new thing in the Diablo series. Also, I don't recall Necroshaft ever being very accurate. Before it got 'fixed' marrowwalkers were obscenely powerful and before that poisoners were downright terrifying to behold.
Reply Quote
Pets worked well for a while, even in hell with all the possible talents to support them they are getting wrecked. Seems like a waste of spells.
Reply Quote
Zombie Dogs are supposed to be a defensive skill. So why do they have no health and runes that add like 5% poison damage?
Reply Quote
I think people are stabbing in the dark here and are not sure what other stats benefit pets.

If we are given enough information on this (do vitality, armor and dexterity really benefit pets), we are then better equipped to have stronger pets.

Pets could be dying due to really bad gear, or they could be dying because they are worthless. We need to test the former first before we can confirm it really is the latter.

There are some things I didn't know were possible. If you have an item that has a chance to fear upon hit, it will be transferred to your pets. What other stats could possibly benefit pets?
Edited by Peter#1403 on 5/20/2012 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well if you build up tanky on your WD, it'll scale tankier on your summons/pets. Hopefully that might make it better? Run a shield instead of a mojo or something.
Reply Quote
Dogs can work fine a good way into nightmare mode but you have to spec accordingly to support them such as going zombie handler + sacrifice with next of kin etc. They aren't going to do anything if you have that skill by itself.
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Shaman
I think people are stabbing in the dark here and are not sure what other stats benefit pets.

If we are given enough information on this (do vitality, armor and dexterity really benefit pets), we are then better equipped to have stronger pets.

Pets could be dying due to really bad gear, or they could be dying because they are worthless. We need to test the former first before we can confirm it really is the latter.

There are some things I didn't know were possible. If you have an item that has a chance to fear upon hit, it will be transferred to your pets. What other stats could possibly benefit pets?

Also, is it transferred over at the time of cast?

If so, does Horrify's 100% armor bonus transfer over and stay until death?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
They always patched D2, although a bit slowly.

I think because this game was internally tested and not available to the public that we should be seeing some overall tweaks with the game.

There are some abilities that need to be way more attractive while some functionality needs to be toned back (in regards to certain combos that they over looked).

The pets really don't need a whole lot. They shouldn't be a wall, but they should fall over either. It's really unacceptable that when fully supported that they fall over in late hell and early inferno in a couple of hits.

All that really needs to be done with them is having passive AoE reduction, a flat health boost depending on difficulty and our fierce loyalty passive applying to much of our defenses.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Khash
Zombie Dogs are supposed to be a defensive skill. So why do they have no health and runes that add like 5% poison damage?

Exactly. And why is their CD so long ON TOP of them being absolute squish? I guess so you can't exploit Sacrifice? Big deal, there are like 3 WD's on b.net using a sacrifice build, get rid of that spell and lower the CD on our horrible dogs.

Lifesteal rune for the dogs? What for? They don't do any damage so 50% of nothing is still nothing.

I'm in the same boat as others, I came into the WD saying "I don't care if its not optimal, I want to make a summoner WD" because I loved my lagomancer's oh so much. I know the WD's pets weren't meant to function like the Necro's did - but we were also promised "TONS of viable builds" so I figured a pet WD would be an obvious one. It really can't be done effectively though.

-Dogs are garbage, they can't tank and have no DPS ? Great call Blizzard?
-Fetish army spreads its DPS out too much, and are only temporary.
-Gargantuan is awesome, but he doesn't scale very well past mid-hell.

A summon that lasts <15 seconds isn't a summon, its a spell - so none of those count.

Apparently blizzard just wanted the WD's pets to be "distractions" while we soul harvest and spam bats/chargers into bored oblivion. Well guess what - its a !@#$ty idea and poorly executed. Guess I'll have to wait 2 +years for the expansion to get a real summoning class again. I'm super disappointed. All this class does has made me miss diablo II and my epic HC summoners wearing junk gear but still (slowly) grinding hell difficult with my pack of skelly home boys.
Edited by Spud#1543 on 5/21/2012 12:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree just finished normal, and didnt used pets @all, gargantuan is ATM a good tanking char, but even he isnt really holding on hell/inferno, so I heard from friends playing WD on higher levels.

The pets even with passives and spells are pretty weak. Hope they will be fixed, sofar they are useless, at least in my opinion.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
Some things you may not know.

damage reflected on items can go to over 2k per item
regen life on items has been spotted at over 250 per second
vitality of 200 exists and with sockets as well
+summon dogs wipes 2-5 seconds off the summon time

vitality goes on any item
reegen life goes on any item as well
physical damage done to attacker dont appear on your weapon.. no sireee but it does everywhere else

only hat can have summon dogs
Reply Quote
[quote="51485850549"]
yep waiting and hoping for a necro in the expansion.

lol I wouldn't hold your breath on that one... since that's basically what the witch doctor replaced.
Reply Quote
I don't mind that the witch doctor is currently broken as a pet class.

I do mind when the devs tell us all is well due to their internal testing.

Do they really believe they are superior gamers? Last time I had a serious job(retired now) I was above average at best in gaming. How can you really be "THAT GOOD" when you are working slave hours?

Friends and family don't cut it either.

That or, they had no intention of WD being a pet class in higher levels and we're dumb lol.

Edit: We're prolly just dumb lol.
Edited by IRONLEG#1213 on 5/21/2012 1:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm with Gation - we need to see if you can gear for the build and how much the pets scale with gear before we can know for sure.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
since you could potentially have over 2k per second healing, 20k reflected and self healing from bites or damage reduction from poison and something like 75klife.. wether or not its vitality or life that scales into the pet life pool...

11 slots rough estimates:

150*11= 1650 healing/persec minus the extra apparently on chesty and leggy
175*11= 1925 reflected minus the extras assumed above
(150*11)+500)*35= 75250 life pool or 2150 vit. The 500 is a guess at gems and above assumptions.

of course I could of researched it better, but thats something I'll do at my own leisure.

you should get the point by now
Reply Quote
The best way I've found to keep my dogs alive is by having several "chance to ___" on my gear. So far I've got fear, freeze, stun, and knockback. While the % of inflicting it is only 1-3%, it surprisingly procs a lot more than you'd think with Blizz's lovely RNG. Since I use flashfire firebomb for my filler I can often CC several mobs at once in a pack, not to mention what my pets do on their own. In Act3 Hell so far, and having this "chain-CC" reallllly helps my pets survive, though it does not work well vs AoE monsters like the spinners in Act 2 or any poison/fire/etc dropped on the ground. Kiting is sometimes key to playing a pet class and moving the encounter to a chokepoint will help a lot for tricky packs. The 'chance to xxx' is also given to your pets and getting at least stun/freeze is extremely useful, who wouldn't want their pets to be able to stun/freeze? That's why I went with fear/knockback as well, more cc=less damage being inflicted.

I didn't get multiple "chance to xxx" until I was in NM and by then it was extremely helpful, though I did have an early chance to fear that I got on a mojo offhand that worked wonderfully and that is what prompted me to stack them in the first place. It works on everything but bosses, and I've chain-feared/stunned/etc so many mobs it isn't funny. Though I don't solo often, my Templar has a chance to blind weapon that helps.. a bit. They can only attack one target and is slow at even that, so it hardly procs compared to my aoe proc-fest.

Regardless of what I've written above, pets are still very stupid and die extremely quickly, thankfully Grave Injustice helps me lower my summon cooldowns. If I didn't have multiple RNG CC I probably would have dropped my pets in the early 40's. The only chance pets have to survive in Hell is by utilizing heavy AoE to trigger the rng cc. I use Flash-fire Firebomb and Phantasm Spirit Barrage, as both of them will hit multiple enemies per cast and have a lot of chances to proc my random CC, which surprisingly procs a lot considering I "only" have 1-3% for each of them. Seriously Blizz, pets need a durability buff or else they will have zero use in Inferno. They can handle a couple of hits from mobs in Hell, but any aoe destroys them. Having a barb and monk for their auras help our pets a bit, but the extra mob strength makes that point moot.
Edited by styr#1955 on 5/21/2012 2:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

It's been tested. I don't remember whether or not it said pets get bonuses from our armor but either way the thread was talking about how all pets are two or three hits at best in inferno, even in hell they're useless.
Reply Quote
I think the dogs were always meant to die easily. However, it would be a nice QoL change to make Sacrifice trigger automatically upon death. The Gargantuan might get a slight durability buff though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]