Diablo® III

Is Hardcore Worth It? Best Class?

85 Tauren Druid
Wondering if it would be worth it to play Hardcore. I see most people talking about how hard some of the levels are and I'm wondering how people in Hardcore would be able to get past them if people playing on Softcore can't.

Also, what would be the best overall class for hardcore soloing?

Also, is soloing ok for Hardcore or would grouping up with people be better?
Reply Quote
Ive played soft core on a monk and am currently like level 55~ i died a crazy amount of times in nightmare. I also have a 45wizard on hardcore, when playing on hardcore it seems like you have to take everything at a slower pace and just be carefully, ive never grouped with anyone with my wizzard and i have only had one close call, its pretty exhilarating and feels more rewarding playing my wizard then my monk. From what i here wizards and demon hunters are alot easier to solo hardcore with, and that barbs and monks are easier with a group
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Interesting. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Reply Quote
I play hardcore exclusivity because the fear of death heightens the game experience for me. Losing a character hurts, it hurts a lot, but for me it's worth it. It gives me a goal of where to surpass. As far as it being worth it, it is to me. If you have a disposition that lets you move on with character death, it probably would be for you too. I suggest having one normal character simply for the times you're not in a good mindset to play hardcore (you aren't in a careful, quick reflex mood. IE: you're prolly drunk or super tired) but want to diablo anyway. I...didn't do this because I'm retarded. I lost a good character because of it.

Upsides other than fear of death are this: People die and have to make new characters, effectively stimulating lower levels of the economy that die out faster in normal. Also, I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but I know I dropped better loot in my hardcore than I did in my normal. Never past act 2 in norm though, so that could have just been that luck thing. That fear of death can make you rely on teammates who can cover your weaknesses, which can be nice.

The downside is you really can't play those fun glass cannon types. I've always found that my shield helps out more when it really matters. I also wouldn't recommend public games simply because you don't know if somebody is going to be bad and get you killed. You can't communicate well and call for help (unless there's in game voice chat I don't know how to use) with people you aren't on skype or something with. If you're with a group of people and somebody joins while you're in a boss fight that boss can get way stronger without people being able to actually join and help. That fear of death can make you rely on teammates who can cover your weaknesses, which can bite you in the !@#.

Either way, all of that stuff is really secondary to the primary things I said. The fear of death enhancing the game vs. actually dying being heartbreaking/frustrating. I suppose if you're gunning for achievements you gotta do hardcore, but that didn't really matter to me and, since you're asking, I assumed it doesn't really matter to you or you'd already be doing it.
Reply Quote
I've only ever played Witch Doctor on both hard/softcore, so I can only vouch for this class.

We have a passive ability called Spirit Vessel that we get at level 30 that will save us whenever we take fatal damage. It puts us into spirit walk for 3 seconds and recovers 10% of our health.

I'm sitting in Act 1 Inferno right now because of it.
Reply Quote
Monk is by far the easiest and hardest to die and quite OP up to Hell. i'm not sure about inferno, but right now hc is still dominated by monks in inferno cause there's no progression pass act 1 or act 2...

p.s. I have a 60 DH, 53 Monk and (56 monk, deceased) on HC
Reply Quote
Its "worth it" for me. I like finding myself in difficult situations clicking like a madman chanting "Oh !@#$, oh %^-*, oh !@#$".

Its uplifting.
Reply Quote
I tried all 4 classes, I feel Monk is a pretty safe class to use, one of his ability give you hp or every spirit point you spent.
Reply Quote
Im about to start my 3rd DH in HC. Just lost my level 60 last night, but still playing a DH seems to be the most fun solo until you get to hell. I was killed by Belial while having 20k dps and 50k HP, still dropped me in 2 hits... Your gear and builds must be perfect for every advancement you make. Im pretty sure playing a DH in Inferno HC is hardly possible unless you really have the perfect gear.
Reply Quote
Go monk in HC, I never played monk before making this HC char and hes really good for soloing. I have been using the AH though as its my first play through in HC.
Reply Quote
Barb is best class hands down for HC, and can easily escape the situations Monks can't. In fact, I believe Barb and DH are the only classes that can escape 100% of situations that arise. Although DH can escape 100%, he often dies before he realises he needs to escape. ;)

I'm a big fan of knowing I have the tools to escape any bad situation.

Favorite Barb spec: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXPgkV!bXV!aaZacc
Favorite DH spec: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRVXdY!adf!YabZZZ
Reply Quote
HC in a Diablo game will do things to you that no other video game can. Elation, devastation, and everything in between. Personally, I love it.
Reply Quote
HC is definetly worth it. It made the game fun for me as I got bored with SC in about 4 weeks. I love the challenge, the consquences of being stupid, and the economy. (night a day different. mid-level items are affordable, quality high end rares are actually RARE)

Regarding the best class, I would say barbarian or monk. The monk is the cheapest to gear up and has excellent escape hatches (can't escape waller/extra fast though...that lesson cost me a level 60). Barbs are overall better for balanced offensive/defenive performance but properly gearing a barb is incredibly expensive as barbs are an over represented class. I'd say play the barb as monks are boring for my style of play but either works

I prefer solo. The issue with cooping is folks not pulling thier weight or the occasional jerk who tries to get people killed. However, the average skills of an HC player in hell and beyond is much higher than SC coop public
Reply Quote
Barbs are the best class in hardcore, closely followed by monks. Barbs are godly with the right gear but monks are usually cheaper to gear. Just don't roll a dh or you're pretty much !@#$ed in inferno. Good luck.
Reply Quote
Like other people have said barbs are without a doubt the best in Hardcore. Monks are second. but they're a great class to start HC with because you can get high resist all for cheap. 90% of all deaths I've witnessed in HC have been DH's. Stay the hell away unless you don't really mind dieing.

Also once you start playing hardcore you can never go back to softcore (at least for me). That feeling you get when you narrowly escape a certain death situation cannot be matched in video games. Adrenaline owns, hardcore owns.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
if you know how to kite then solo a DH. i dont like groups because people act like they are playing SC. if you do solo, be careful. a teleporter may be your undoing
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]