Diablo® III

Non-Bear Inferno build?

Currently on my WD in Inferno, and I'm loving it- however the one problem I've found with bears is the range (on specifically the harder hitting champion packs that may have an immune/some other weird gimmick or bosses.)

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with builds that do well throughout all types of mobs to maintain the Nephalem Valor buff. I've used bears so far, and don't get me wrong... they are good but the range is absolutely terrible on bosses like diablo, where I HAD to replace them for more range.

Not asking for a cookie cutter build- as I know lots of abilities have their uses- just curious to what you other WD's are doing to maintain your valor buff while doing well vs various champion packs/bosses/and being able to aoe the packs of 30+ mobs later on.

Currently what I've been running with is:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#efUdRT!ZUV!cccZac

I've also swapped passives based on certain things etc.

*edit: I typically swap bears for the beast rune which gives more range, but it's definitely not as much damage as the bears can do, and not very fun trying to aim them.
Edited by Nymesis#1633 on 5/23/2012 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Try the terrorbats its nice range damage and little bit less mana costs
Reply Quote
what are you doing with garg in inferno? Off my bar for awhile in inferno, simply doesn't add the value of other skills that don't die in 5 seconds with low CD to pull another...

you can still bat spam and get further range then bears, with about same out put for damage- not that bat or bear is ideal. I have swapped builds constantly in ACT II & ACT III because elite mobs need hard counters to take down

BTW found that frog spam still works on jailer elite mobs in inferno, as you can frog spam over walls, and the walls actually help block off elites & mob while you stand and spam
Edited by maddog#1759 on 5/23/2012 8:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Currently playing as a Minion Reflector WD in Inferno. Stack as much Life Regeneration + Thorn + Int gear as you can.

Left Click - Haunt + Resentful Spirit Rune
Right Click - Firebats + Plague Bats Rune
1 - Spirit Walk + Honored Guest Rune
2 - Summon Zombie Dogs + Rabid Dogs Rune
3 - Gargantuan + Restless Giant Rune
4 - Soul Harvest + Siphon Rune

Vision Quest / Fetish Sycophants / Fierce Loyalty

I don't have to tank a damn thing. Just stay back, haunt and spray. Reflecting 4k back on damage, and healing back 3k+ health per second which also applies to my minions.
Edited by Kaillera#1790 on 5/23/2012 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
do you use a shield? I found this to help significantly in inferno and make the bear spek more viable. Also you could use unbreakable grasp to help with kiting a bit more.
Reply Quote
Well I'm currently just in act 1, and so far he's done okay and I mostly use him for his clutch stuns which have helped, but I'm really considering just dropping it for a mass confusion perhaps, I'm not sure. I was using a pretty solid single target build for bosses, but the same build is absolutely terrible on trash packs. Thanks for the constructive feedback though!

I think bats would probably be what I go with, while the bears steamroll their way through hell- they are just slowly losing their viability for me- with things hitting as hard as they are.
Reply Quote
Currently playing as a Minion Reflector WD in Inferno. Stack as much Life Regeneration + Thorn + Int gear as you can.

Left Click - Haunt + Resentful Spirit Rune
Right Click - Firebats + Plague Bats Rune
1 - Spirit Walk + Honored Guest Rune
2 - Summon Zombie Dogs + Rabid Dogs Rune
3 - Gargantuan + Restless Giant Rune
4 - Soul Harvest + Siphon Rune

Vision Quest / Fetish Sycophants / Fierce Loyalty

I don't have to tank a damn thing. Just stay back, haunt and spray. Reflecting 4k back on damage, and healing back 1k+ health per second which also applies to my minions.

Where in Inferno are you using this?
Reply Quote
@Kaillera, I've seen several people doing that or something like it. I'm sure someone will be along (without gear) shortly to tell you how stupid it is. Don't listen to them. Keep being awesome.

@Nymesis

I'd say try dire bats for a while and replace gargantuan with horrify. Either 6 second run or armor rune.

It might sound crazy but you can swap Jungle Fortitude or Spirit Vessel for Rush of Essence. It will make your times without Vision Quest even easier and you will see even higher returns from haunt as well as your defensive abilities. Once you get good at kiteing you won't need the armor or extra life that much.
Edited by Coleman#2790 on 5/23/2012 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Act 3 Inferno
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:46 AMPosted by Kaillera
Act 3 Inferno

Wow, that's incredible. How do you build physical mitigation on your minions, and why sycophants?
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:41 AMPosted by ProSaladToss
do you use a shield? I found this to help significantly in inferno and make the bear spek more viable. Also you could use unbreakable grasp to help with kiting a bit more.

ZW wall works better than UG for blocking/slowing oncoming mobs

Shield is mandatory for me and i rarely get caught in melee unless ambushed by teleporters

interesting build still pulling out garg/ZD's sure it can work as it has for you, but not sure if worth pursuing the attribute gear that would need to boost those...
Reply Quote
Better than wasting a skill slot to summon them. They last 60 seconds over the skill version 20 seconds. My minions health and defense is just high for some reason.

The Sycophants also counts as minion, so they benefit from the same bonus.
Edited by Kaillera#1790 on 5/23/2012 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Hamster
Act 3 Inferno

Wow, that's incredible. How do you build physical mitigation on your minions, and why sycophants?

I'm feeling the same just wow if you can really pull off pets in ACT III inferno I'm exceptionally geared and not able to do it, really love to see gear and build
Reply Quote
Kaillera- that's an awesome suggestion, thank you very much! Will start collecting gear for it and see how it works as I loved using the dogs while leveling!

Coleman- I'll give it a shot and see how it works! =)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Reply Quote
Kaillera, that is awesome! Do you think you could please post a few screenshots of your detailed character information screen?
Reply Quote
Sycophants tank (and they tank way better than other pets) and can end up swarming mobs.

Under appreciated passive.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Kaillera
I don't have to tank a damn thing. Just stay back, haunt and spray. Reflecting 4k back on damage, and healing back 3k+ health per second which also applies to my minions.

Can you share some of your items?, how much thorns, int, and hp regen is need to make them work.

Im currently gearing for act 1 inferno onwards and i have been working on similar build.
Reply Quote
I'm interested in Kaillera's stats as well.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ahUkRZ!WZV!aZcZaa

That's what I'm currently using. Use the poison darts vs single target damage, use the fireballs for aoe damage. Use other spells to keep yourself alive. It takes a bit of getting used to of getting your cc abilities down and used properly with taking advantage of your surroundings, but I feel it's a lot better than VQ builds.
Reply Quote
Better than wasting a skill slot to summon them. They last 60 seconds over the skill version 20 seconds. My minions health and defense is just high for some reason.

The Sycophants also counts as minion, so they benefit from the same bonus.

I don't believe you unless you post your stats. Reflect build really? Even 2k thorns would do nothing to monsters in Act I of Inferno. And your pets would only live long enough to reflect 1 or 2 hits at most. Life regen does nothing when pets are 1 shot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]