Diablo® III

patch 1.0.3

85 Worgen Mage
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6018173#c-5235924821

Quoted:Our design goal is that once you get to level 60, his recipes are actually good enough to help fill a character’s potential itemization gaps. To correct these issues, we’re looking to adjust the Blacksmith costs for training (gold and pages) and crafting from levels 1-59, and reduce the cost of combining gems so that it only requires two gems instead of three (up to Flawless Square). Both of these changes are scheduled for patch 1.0.3

I like that they are reducing the cost of the gems, how ever.. this is not helping with blacksmithing.. the biggest complaint is the lack of good items that make blacksmithing worth having. If you find a rare pattern in inferno.. it should be better no mater what then a lvl 54 item. If it also was liable for blacksmith ti be worth it.. the amount of gold needs to be dropped 90%. Just my .2C's on this.
Reply Quote
If you find a rare pattern in inferno.. it should be better no mater what then a lvl 54 item.

I don't agree with this. Some stats will have a greater impact on certain classes than others no matter little of that stat there is on an item.

Case in point: I believe that monks favor attacks speed, life on hit, and dexterity (in that order). If I have a weapon with a ton of attack speed and some life on hit I will always keep it over a higher level weapon with twice the dexterity. Dex is great but attack speed and life on hit can save your life countless times.

I agree that this patch won't address the underlying problems with crafting, especially since it's aimed at the highest level of play, but it's a start.
Reply Quote
The truth is that the gold cost on crafting items just needs to be removed completely. I realize they want a gold dump, however the AH is pretty much the gold dump. No one is going to spend 50k to randomize an exalted shield when you can get the stats you want for about the same cost, just by going to the AH.

The truth is, crafting already has an innate gold cost through the crafting mats. What they need to do is remove the gold cost, and slightly increase the mat cost.

Think of every blue and rare you find as an opportunity for gold, because they can be sold to a vendor directly. If every blue gives 1 essence, and every rare gives 1 essence and 1 yellow mat, then the basic level rares at max blacksmith would take about 12 blues and 3 rares. Level 60 blues sell on average for about 500g, and rares sell on average for about 1200 gold. Therefore, the cost to craft an item that takes 15 essence and 3 yellow mats, would be about 10k. This doesn't count Tomes, because those are their own drops.

Thus, what they could do is increase the number of mats required, so that the opportunity cost to craft an item is around 30 or 40k.

This would basically mean, salvage X items to get a free roll on an item slot of your choice. I'll let Blizzard figure out what that X is.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
That's something I agree on, 60% of my gold earned is vendering worthless blues and rares that drop.
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Kameelyan
Thus, what they could do is increase the number of mats required, so that the opportunity cost to craft an item is around 30 or 40k.

+1 to this for understanding opportunity cost.
Reply Quote
I realize they want a gold dump, however the AH is pretty much the gold dump.

Not the perfect gold dump, considering that if i buy a 100k sword off of someone, that someone has 100k more to spend on someone else. More gold will circulate in the system as it's not going anywhere else - other than repairs or lv 60 crafting attempts.

I do like your idea of bumping up the mats cost in exchange for killing the gold cost but the problem is keeping the prices of those mats up-to-speed with the market. The sheer number of players selling mats easily drive the price down like when the game first started off. On release, after Act 1 in normal, it made more sense to vendor the blues for 60g than to salvage since you could buy a hundred subtle essences for 22g each from auction house.

The problem is keeping those prices feasible - as most players probably have a surplus due to the current crafting problem
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Harlequin
I realize they want a gold dump, however the AH is pretty much the gold dump.

Not the perfect gold dump, considering that if i buy a 100k sword off of someone, that someone has 100k more to spend on someone else.

No they have 85k to spend. AH removes 15% of all gold as a "fee".
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think that lowering the Gem combine cost makes it too easy. They are a pretty plentiful drop rate as it is. I still pick up everything even whites. It may take a bit longer to finish an act but it's fun for me, in doing this each "fill-up" I usually have 2-3 different types of gems and a few pages of blacksmith or jewel crafting. I use it to suppliment my gear in times where AH stuff is too much money , I am currently at illustrious on inferno lvl 44 monk and I move along quite smoothly. I've put a few bids in on AH stuff and have only won 2 items that I no longer use.
In closing keep gems at 3 maybe increase to 4 as they augment abilities in a large way and they will become extreamly plentiful and worthless when brought down to two
Reply Quote
I disagree the AH is not a gold dump, the gold goes back into the game, they do not need to remove it, but make it cheaper..

I am LVL10 BS, with no real useable plans, I would like to see drop rate on plans increae a bit.

I agree it is a "gold dump" just because of the price, if you have to pay to teach the plans, then that should be the biggest chunk to pay. After you have paid to teach the plans price should not be that much, say 5k to make an item would be good. Why should we have to pay the BS to craft an item he has been trained on and the cost is about the same as the training.....then again perhaps we should be thankful that we do not have to find the plans every time just to craft an item.
Reply Quote
I disagree the AH is not a gold dump, the gold goes back into the game, they do not need to remove it, but make it cheaper..

I am LVL10 BS, with no real useable plans, I would like to see drop rate on plans increae a bit.

I agree it is a "gold dump" just because of the price, if you have to pay to teach the plans, then that should be the biggest chunk to pay. After you have paid to teach the plans price should not be that much, say 5k to make an item would be good. Why should we have to pay the BS to craft an item he has been trained on and the cost is about the same as the training.....then again perhaps we should be thankful that we do not have to find the plans every time just to craft an item.

Do you work for free?
Reply Quote
The gold cost should be nerfed around 80% for most stuff, the mats alone should be decent. The blacksmith wanted his life to mean something... not %@#@ your bank... Just sayin....
Reply Quote
The truth is that the gold cost on crafting items just needs to be removed completely.

I agree entirely. GG.
Reply Quote
I don't like reducing the req from 3 gems to 2. Its always been 3 so leave that alone and cut/reduce the crafting cost.

The training cost really isnt that bad either, just the crafting cost
Reply Quote

Do you work for free?

no but i'm not an npc that already made a million gold that i never have to spend on anything since i'm floating code.

your real life association is dumb

/trumped
Edited by UmbraDrakon#1288 on 5/29/2012 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, take the requirement of gold away from one of the biggest gold sinks. Personally I don't agree with lowering the costs to make it so I'm crafting gear I can sell on the AH, it should be increased overall "strength" of the items that I'm making.

My point: Gold sinks are just that, Gold sinks. If you don't like it, go farm your gear and sell the spares on the AH.
Reply Quote
the black smith and jewel maker use your gold to redecorate their houses
Reply Quote
I ultimately wish they would not let you remove gems. Buy 5 of each type and you're set for life on all of your characters.

I havnt thought about it in too much detail, but maybe the cost for crafting gems is going to be overall less than what we would pay for gems that were use it/lose it.
Reply Quote
... I am currently at illustrious on inferno lvl 44 monk and I move along quite smoothly. ...

No, you are not a L44 monk in inferno. Have a nice day.
Reply Quote
I think the gem removal is fine - Yes, you can jump them from one item to another, but what if you got one of those "iffy" drops - you know, the one that, until you see what the gem does in it, doesn't really tell you if it'll work better than the item you have?

I have had to remove a gem several times from items, because I wasn't sure of their initial stats, and the change brought upon them by the addition of a gem. If they didnt' work out, it means I'd be screwed, right after paying the gold to get the gem in the first place. That's more frustrating than anything, and was one of the things I hated about DiabloII - you spend all this time and effort on something, and then to be stuck with something like that? No - I'll gladly pay for the removal of a gem, so I can put it elsewhere.

And speaking of gems - the amount you pay is reasonable - it's practically the same incremental you had in D2 for purchasing them outright. It works, and isn't that big of a deal...
Edited by Will6213#1211 on 6/6/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]