Diablo® III

Before discussing balance issues

Copy-pasted it here from EU forums.

I have read more than a few threads where people are considerably worried about DH's efficiency, however in most cases the concerns are determined by a factor that really hasn't got anything to do with the class itself. So before posting, consider the following:

- Your character level
Whats your current level to the progress you are at? If you have just rushed through all the quests its more than likely that you are simply under leveled in comparison to your progress.

- Gear
It is more than possible your gear isn't equivalent to your progress, here are some examples:

* Weapon: Whats your damage? A good comparison is to take a look at the crafted weapon of your level, then add in roughly 10-25% damage to consider your weapon "efficient" enough. (This does not of course work at level 60).

* Armor: Whats your armor rating? What are the stats included? Good example is that a good gear for level 20 includes armor pieces that all support your primary stat by more than 10 each. So for DH, if you simply have 0 dexterity, your DPS will be lacking. If you have 0 vitality, its more than likely that you will lose a significant amount of your health pool for each attack that lands at you. This is multiplied by level, take a good look at your stat details, see what seems to be the problem with your gear.

* Rings, Neck: Magic find items simply won't suffice when it comes to efficiency of your character in combat.

- Your personal skill
Got killed? Consider why you got killed, was it simply bad luck by that champion back fearing you and then smack 4 extremely hard hits to you? Or was it simply because you got struck in melee due to other reasons, or that ranged enemies just happened to hit all their skills to you? Demon Hunter is a class that should attempt to avoid all incoming hits, ranged or melee. Adjust your playstyle to survive first, kill second.
Reply Quote
Copy-pasted it here from EU forums.

I have read more than a few threads where people are considerably worried about DH's efficiency, however in most cases the concerns are determined by a factor that really hasn't got anything to do with the class itself. So before posting, consider the following:

- Your character level
Whats your current level to the progress you are at? If you have just rushed through all the quests its more than likely that you are simply under leveled in comparison to your progress.

- Gear
It is more than possible your gear isn't equivalent to your progress, here are some examples:

* Weapon: Whats your damage? A good comparison is to take a look at the crafted weapon of your level, then add in roughly 10-25% damage to consider your weapon "efficient" enough. (This does not of course work at level 60).

* Armor: Whats your armor rating? What are the stats included? Good example is that a good gear for level 20 includes armor pieces that all support your primary stat by more than 10 each. So for DH, if you simply have 0 dexterity, your DPS will be lacking. If you have 0 vitality, its more than likely that you will lose a significant amount of your health pool for each attack that lands at you. This is multiplied by level, take a good look at your stat details, see what seems to be the problem with your gear.

* Rings, Neck: Magic find items simply won't suffice when it comes to efficiency of your character in combat.

- Your personal skill
Got killed? Consider why you got killed, was it simply bad luck by that champion back fearing you and then smack 4 extremely hard hits to you? Or was it simply because you got struck in melee due to other reasons, or that ranged enemies just happened to hit all their skills to you? Demon Hunter is a class that should attempt to avoid all incoming hits, ranged or melee. Adjust your playstyle to survive first, kill second.

Well, the major problem is that, from what I've seen DH requires significantly more awareness and micro than Monk and WD (other 2 I've played).

Even Act 2 on Normal pushed me a bit, compared to my monk which just roflstomped through.

If something requires more skill to get the same result, adjustments need to be made.
Reply Quote
I died once on the trek from 1 to 20. My biggest problem with the class so far is that I have to focus my attention both on what I am aiming at and at the same time keep an eye on myself so I don't get ambushed.

I have found that, at leas for me, the tradeoff between DPS and survivability is a good gambit. Skills like smoke screen and evasive fire might not be as sexy as the bombs and snares but when the ish hits the fan it is comforting to know that sanctuary is a key click away. Naturally stacking Stam is also key.

I do take a good long time to kill things but the increased DPS will be small comfort in hardcore mode when your toon takes a dirt nap.
Reply Quote
Well, the major problem is that, from what I've seen DH requires significantly more awareness and micro than Monk and WD (other 2 I've played).

Even Act 2 on Normal pushed me a bit, compared to my monk which just roflstomped through.

If something requires more skill to get the same result, adjustments need to be made.

Couldn't disagree more. I love the fact that the DH requires more skill than other classes: it's why I chose to roll with one.

The only thing that is frustrating is getting barraged by stuff from off-screen with and suddenly being to within an inch of your life, without ever having had a chance to even react. On Nightmare+, that nonsense will be insta-kill, and THAT may have to be looked at (make enemies only aggro when you can actually see them?)

Word. I hate that so much action happens offscreen. It is especially frustrating when I am in a party with a barbarian or a monk who is bum rushing mobs. I wish that they had included some kind of indicator of where mobs are offscreen like an arrow or a dot or something.

Small nitpick in an otherwise excellent game though. And I absolutely love the DH playstyle otherwise.
Reply Quote
wait till NM guys.. then you'll have more things to be aware of...

and you won't be able to do much lol

good luck
Reply Quote

Couldn't disagree more. I love the fact that the DH requires more skill than other classes: it's why I chose to roll with one.

The only thing that is frustrating is getting barraged by stuff from off-screen with and suddenly being to within an inch of your life, without ever having had a chance to even react. On Nightmare+, that nonsense will be insta-kill, and THAT may have to be looked at (make enemies only aggro when you can actually see them?)

If the DH requires more skill from other classes but is balanced with them power wise, then it's underpowered, since basic logic dictates that an equally skilled player would, in this circumstance, do better with any other class than a DH.

The major problem seems to be that the DH is as squishy as a Wizard, without all the neato tools the Wizard has to play with.
Reply Quote
DH is for ppl who like a bit more of a challenge IMO.

it looks like the pwning maschine for low kids (2 crosbows and stuff ^^) but in fact it requires some skill to play it at the fullest.

which is good.
Reply Quote
TBH, I've found some of the demon hunter skills lacking, but I've compensated by unlocking my bars, and using more of the right click skills.

Right now I have Twin Chakram as my right click, which absolutely tears apart crowds of weak-moderate enemies, and I mean viciously stomps them.

Meanwhile I have Impact Throwing Knife as one of my skills slots. Impact Throwing Knives are excellent against the really tough enemies, doing good damage and stunning them.

Just basically everything you do with discipline is situational at best. Not sure that the Demon Hunter will be much of a team player, but for solo play she's definitely fine.
Reply Quote
If the DH requires more skill from other classes but is balanced with them power wise, then it's underpowered, since basic logic dictates that an equally skilled player would, in this circumstance, do better with any other class than a DH.

No it just means a skilled player would have to try less with other classes not that he could do better. If they are truly balanced power wise then playing a monk as well as possible and playing a dh as well as possible would have the same results. It would just be harder to do. Frankly I would rather play a harder classes than a rolfstomp class.

I don't really agree that its harder to play though. It's different and requires a different play style but its not harder imo. But I guess i'll see if I still feel that way when I have gotten all the classes to inferno.
Reply Quote
Personally I'll be happy when I get my DH with some elite gear at level 60 and have the best AOE farming ability in the game 'multi shot'. It takes a lot of hatred but later on when you're at the point where you're farming stuff you will come to appreciate multi shot. No other class has a bigger faster firing AOE, not even the wizard.
Edited by JsusHadRvive#1852 on 5/16/2012 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]