Diablo® III

Level 34 build so far -=- What AOE is best?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQYPdg!Wbe!ZababZ

I like this for the following:

Bola shot with thunder ball is an aoe, builds hatred, and is a good go-to skill for the stun. I used this for my solo diablo run, and it worked well, cause my DH is quite a bit fragile.

Multishot Fire at Will is ownage, and with vengeance passive, I can spam 6 clicks of it before hatred is gone. At crits of 1100 plus and avg white dmg of 500-600 (these numbers arent accurate, just estimates, i think I have about 880 dps at the moment in my character screen), this is my favorite aoe skill. My favorite toon to this day is a 1.09 zon with a windy and tons of IAS spamming multishot, so this is a nostalgia to me. I also think it does mad dmg. It might not be the most efficient though. I am in Act 1 NM and walking through multiple groups of mobs.

Caltrops I am so used to now that I almost cant live without them, and I have just unlocked the dmg rune for them, so it seems to me like a no brainer.

Cluster Arrow I LOVE. I use it for champ groups and single target dmg. It seems to really drop big DPS, as long as the cluster bombs hit the target too. This works will when the mob is stunned (bola/thunder ball) or slowed (caltrops.) If they aren't at least slowed or otherwise occupied (perhaps beating on the barb or monk) the cluster bombs really seem to miss quite a bit. When they do all hit, Cluster bomb feels like a ton of dps.

Vault is essential for me. I use it all the time. I am so stacked with dex that without vault, I would be dead A LOT. Especially noticeable in act 4 and NM act 1. Things just start to hit harder and elite groups have more modifiers. All the sudden I am getting one or two shotted if i dont vault away in time. This was also essential for my solo diablo kill. He was fast and has a wide range of attack, so without vault I would have been smacked down hard.

Shadow power I use as an 'emergency' button. Having a way to restore life when you are on pot cool down and there are no health orbs got pretty important to me. My DPS/max health ratio is high/low so I can go from near death to alive within the three secs this is alloted to me, especially if I am using an aoe.

I have swapped out skills quite a bit and tried a lot of things.

I would like to figure out if Multishot is worth it. People are saying that elemental arrow is beast. I used a ton of chakrams earlier on for AOE and loved them as well. I switched to multishot/Fire At will the second I could cause of nostalgia mostly, but I am loving it. Is it worth it? With Fire at will the hatred costs is diminished, but it might not be enough.

In regards to single target, it seems that impale/chemical burn would be best at my level, but I really think well used cluster arrow out performs it quite a bit. The problem is cluster bomb is expensive. 50 hatred per attack is rough.

Thoughts?
Edited by sc00ts#1399 on 5/16/2012 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you have the space, double Chakram, if you don't lightning elemental arrow.
Reply Quote
Cluster Arrow is terrible. You are right to take Impale with Chemical Burn. Just make sure you are spacing your Impales (fire an Impale, then wait 2 seconds (about 2 - 4 filler attacks) before Impaling again on the same target).

Multishot with Fire at Will is stupidly efficient, especially considering its massive area. You'll often end up hitting somewhere around twice as many enemies as I could with Ball Lightning Elemental Arrow, making it MORE hatred-efficient than Elemental Arrow.

Something doesnt feel right about impale to me Prometheus. The tooltips are enough to tell me you are correct, but it seems that one well placed cluster bomb can own. A mob that takes the arrow plus all four bombs should get 600% weapon dmg. That happens not as often as I would like.

assuming I can hit the mob with the arrow and ALL the bombs thats 600% weapon dmg / 50 hatred. I only have one rune available at the moment and it doesnt add dps.

Impale with chemical burn is 375% weapon dmg /25 hatred.

Ya, I should really be using impale. Perhaps the next rune for cluster arrow might change things, but that depends on its behavior.

I do agree with you on Multishot Prometheus, but mostly cause I am soloing. It is awesome to run from group to group dropping them all with two blasts of multishot. If I was in a 4 man with some melee, razor chakram seems like it might be a better solution cause it is so much cheaper in hatred. I will have to try.
Reply Quote
I would change your emergency to Shadow Screen, absolutely the most OP skill for DH.

Make use of the longer lasting rune, and use preparation with the + discipline rune.

Essentially you can spam SS until out of disc., use preparation, spam SS more.

You can do it 5x times before you run out of disc. making you 100% invisible/invulnerable for 30+ seconds, and you can still attack without aggro.

Super skill.
Edited by Nonstop#1615 on 5/16/2012 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
...and you can still attack without aggro.

That sounds like it would be perfect for bosses and pretty OP in general. I haven't ever equipped SS yet. TY for the tip!
Edited by sc00ts#1399 on 5/16/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
...and you can still attack without aggro.

That sounds like it would be perfect for bosses and pretty OP in general. I haven't ever equipped SS yet. TY for the tip!

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt this skill will get a nerf, probably if you attack with it, the spell will break.

Because right now, when I did Diablo, I just spammed SS + Preparation, and did it without being hit at all.
Reply Quote
[quote]...and you can still attack without aggro.

... when I did Diablo, I just spammed SS + Preparation, and did it without being hit at all.

I used leap and bola+thunderball on diablo and thought I broke it. Apparently spamming impale+impact is pretty game breaking as well.

I suppose we should expect 'balances' to these skills. It is on normal though.

The smokescreen prep thing is a whole different league of broken. If I can attack indefintely for 30 secs without any possible damage, something is wrong. No wonder they havent released PVP yet ;)
Edited by sc00ts#1399 on 5/16/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I used leap and bola+thunderball on diablo and thought I broke it. Apparently spamming impale+impact is pretty game breaking as well.

I suppose we should expect 'balances' to these skills. It is on normal though.

Normal difficulty = tutorial mode. Anything will 'seem' OP because you can spam your way though the game.

Works very well in nightmare as well, and will be an insane life safer in Hell/Inferno.

You have your opinions, I can have mine.
Edited by Nonstop#1615 on 5/16/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]