Diablo® III

Zombie dogs: how to make them work (early on)

I see lots of people saying that Zombie dogs suck and that they die SOOOO fast.

Two things to note: They scale off much of your equipment so if you're a glass cannon so are they. If you want to build like this go nuts just don't use zombie dogs, they will suck.

What most do:
Stack armor, the dogs become tougher but generally fall off pretty quick still. By the time you get to the goatmen they'll be down in 1 or 2 hits.

What you should do:
Focus on Vitality. I'm running Zombie dogs at level 17 in Act two and the dogs work -still- as excellent tanks. My dogs can tank those glass cannon Wasps you find in the desert and during the Act One fight with the Butcher they didn't die (even with the fire floors)

I'm level 17 have +37 Vit through items and 834 HP and I don't use a sheild. My Zombie Dogs tank, try it out, it'll work. - I also am NOT using the Jungle Fortitue passive. I don't find that I need it.

(I'm not saying this will work after normal or even in later acts but this is in response to people believing that Zombie Dogs suck basically the whole game)
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
Ferg, can you test them without +Vit gear, and With +Vit gear near the same armor levels? I would like to add this to my guide if it is true.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
Ya, I don't group perhaps that's the major difference. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Reply Quote
Just tried it out with 22 less Vit. The dogs SEEMED to die much quicker.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The pups are fodder and they're on a 60 sec cooldown. Before you get your Gargantuan, you really aren't facing off against anything that you can't take without them anyway. Once your Gar is around, they start shine as they were meant to.
Reply Quote
A bit off-topic question but which class has a good "range" pet? It seems like WD's pets are all melee-based?
Reply Quote
I've also found that bad medicine, in conjunction with the rabid rune and either poison dart, locust swarm, or acid cloud depending on your level makes for easy dog survival. Lead every fight with soul harvest into horrify (with phobia) and your dogs will never die.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
05/16/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Jibikao
A bit off-topic question but which class has a good "range" pet? It seems like WD's pets are all melee-based?

There isn't one.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Jibikao

The wizard familiar is a ranged pet, although it's basically just a self-casting magic missile.
Reply Quote
The wizard's Hydra is a pseudo pet as it can block pathing in corridors and will slow down enemies. I was quite impressed by the arcane explosion hydra. I started playing with a wizard but later on it is just too easy to die without another player to tank for you.
Reply Quote
I'm using the zombie dogs passive without the active skill and almost always have 4 dogs up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]