Diablo® III

Map Exploration in Diablo 3

100 Night Elf Druid
I dced then logged back in and ive lost every bit of my map that ive explored. from the beginning of the game, dungeons, everything......why
Edited by Pelt#1482 on 5/16/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This happens to me as well, but on every log in/out.
Edited by Seprest#1772 on 5/16/2012 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Random map generation. Maps are almost always different when you leave a game.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Kartikaya

Exactly this, I can confirm.
Reply Quote
My wife and I are having the same problem. I just spent more than half an hour exploring the cathedral again because I had no idea where a checkpoint started me. Turns out, it was the same floor I had explored earlier today, but with the layout randomized and all the monsters and items respawned. The same thing happened to her as well.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/16/2012 11:33 PMPosted by blueskatz
My wife and I are having the same problem. I just spent more than half an hour exploring the cathedral again because I had no idea where a checkpoint started me. Turns out, it was the same floor I had explored earlier today, but with the layout randomized and all the monsters and items respawned. The same thing happened to her as well.
In my opinion a map should only generate once. So that it can persist through log in/out states. Then giving players the option to "reload map". Which will effectively let those players who wish to repeat things, to do so.

For example I like to do everything on a map .. literally. And with all these disconnects going about. I've redid so many maps ..
Edited by Raven#1472 on 5/16/2012 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well in D2 it was like this but only for hell (and maybe nightmare, not sure) but for normal, once you've explored it you have it...

pretty sure its intentional as a "random generated thing" for re playability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Only some map bits are static, the rest are randomized, and in the case of areas which are largely randomized, even that static bits are fogged back.
Reply Quote
im so sick of losing all my maps ... this needs to be fixed cuz its ruining my experience
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Well read up on a game before you buy it. The random generation of maps is the whole experience of Diablo and always has been! That is what keeps the game where people want to play it over and over. My advice to you being experienced on all Diablo games is don't over explore the game in normal difficulty. Wait till Nightmare or Hell where you have to go slower in the game anyways and the gear helps a lot more.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
maps only saved in diablo 2 in single player, online they were randomly generated everytime, this isnt a bug, this is how the game is designed to be, so its different everytime you leave town.
Reply Quote
It should be like diablo 2 normal mode, that all the maps were randomized when creating a new game and when you explored all the map it persisted even when you logged out.
It would be awesome if you could have an option to reset the map in game, like a button or something located in the options menu that when clicked the game reloads and generates a new random map if the player wants it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/18/2012 12:00 PMPosted by ShadyLurker
Derp derp derp...what game am I playing , whats going on? huh? monsters respawn? Are you guys serious with this thread? I can't believe the totally pants on head crap on these forums. People talking about farming whites, people who can't figure out how to identify, now this....seriously you people are stupid.
Its largely a factor of concern due to disconnects and map exploration. Now if one ends the game themselves, this is another matter entirely. However, a disconnect is not the player ending it willingly. Thus, a simple function that persists to all explorations was suggested. And if one should choose to have the map redone, they could select it within a dropdown. This way if you happen to disconnect like 15 times before the next checkpoint. Aka 1st day Diablo III. You don't have to redo the map 15 times forcefully.

Lastly calling people names over the internet has no bearing of worth. You should spend that effort best served in productivity and advancement of your own life. As it falls on deaf ears to those like me. Change is often a good thing. We don't have wagons and oxen anymore =)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Kartikaya

Ooooohhh...? Huh. Thank you, Kartikaya. This makes sense. Not sure if I like it, but I'm willing to give it a go. If it keeps the game feeling fresh, I'll be happy enough. It'll just take some getting used to!
Reply Quote
You will learn to let go of the need to completely explore the entire map. I did :)
Reply Quote
The maps are suppose to be random every time you start a new game you '!@#$%.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]