Diablo® III

COMMON ITEMS HAVE NO VALUE & SERVE NO PURPOSE

Did you know that picking up a white/grey item in Diablo 3 actually costs you gold?

That's right, every common item that you pick up actually loses you some gold. Does that make sense to you as a player? Should 80%+ of the items that drop in this game have negative value and serve no alternative function? This thread has been created to explore the problem and suggest solutions.

Here are some key concepts that have been established in the thread so that you can quickly get up to speed on this issue.

Common items (white/grey equipment) sells for 2-9 gold per item regardless of Act, Difficulty, or item quality.

A full inventory of white/grey equipment sells for 60 - 270 gold regardless of Act, Difficulty, or item quality.

In the amount of time it takes you to TP back and sell common items, you could have made more gold by simply killing more monsters instead of TP'ing after Act 1 Normal.

Therefore, all players should try to minimize the amount of common items they pick up, because even accidentally picking one up actually loses you gold as you either have to sell the item or take time dropping the item on the ground.

Here are two solutions that don't change game mechanics:

1) Allow players to disable seeing common drops so they can loot everything care-free.

2) Change the color of all white equipment to grey so that all common equipment is grey but useful things like potions, pages, and gems are still white and thus distinguishable.

Here are three solutions that would require a significant patch:

1) Decrease the amount of gold monsters drop and increase the amount common items sell for by that amount (so that gold income isn't impacted).

2) Allow enchanting/socketing of common items so they have an alternative function.

3) Reintroduce dismantling common items to use in crafting instead of gold cost.

Here are some common arguments against changing common items, with refutations.

1) Common items are meant to be ignored. They are just aesthetically pleasing "confetti" so people still see something drop even when it isn't blue+.

If you agree that white and grey items should be ignored, then why are you against allowing players to disable seeing them or picking them up. No one benefits from picking up this "confetti" so why should we not have the option to disable it if we don't care about the aesthetics? They don't force you to run the game on a high graphics setting because of aesthetics, so why do they force everyone to sort through all the trash items they never intended you to pick up anyway?

2) You can't change white/grey items without significant code reworking.

The proposed solutions would all require different amount of recoding. Some more and some less. Why would it be all that difficult to simply add an If-Then statement that disables an item displaying its name if it is white/grey? Similarly, an If-Then statement could be used to disable the picking up of white/grey items.

3) If you change the value of common items, the gold currency or economy will be damaged.

If they were to adjust the gold price of commons to make them worth picking up and selling then I would suggest they reduce the average gold that drops from a monster and shift that value onto the common items it drops. The white/grey items would then be worth selling, but no one would gain any additional gold.

4) If you make common items valuable, then people would be coerced into picking them up because ignoring them means you are losing gold.

This is a very real concern with adjusting the sell price of commons. However, I think the ideal situation would allow players to either sell their common items from their inventory, or allow them to dismantle the common items into a stack-able crafting material that can be sold later for equal value. Keep in mind also that there are several solutions that would have no impact on the gold value of commons but would still fix the problem by giving them either value, function, or removing them from sight.
Edited by Irreverent1#1481 on 5/21/2012 1:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
They're intended to be worthless. You're not supposed to pick them up or care about them. It's not that hard to skip over them.
Reply Quote
If they are in fact intended to be worthless (which I doubt is how Blizzard would describe it), then why even have them in the game?

Whites/greys make up 80%+ of all drops, but have no value when sold and offer no other function. Why did they even bother putting whites/greys in the game if they aren't intended to have any value or serve any function.

They might as well have included an item called "Trash" and had it drop several times per encounter. "Trash" sells for between 4-10 gold, doesn't stack, and has no other function except to take up space in your inventory - forcing you hassle with it. This may seem like an absurd idea, but it is identical to the state of common items in D3.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Obsolescence
Why did they even bother putting whites/greys in the game if they aren't intended to have any value or serve any function.

I'm sure somebody at blizzard did testing somewhere and came to the conclusion that dropping worthless items was more "fun" than not dropping anything.

That being said, I'd rather have a filter to hide the items and prevent me from picking them up when I press Alt, since I never want to pick them up, and is annoying when I accidently pick one up.
Reply Quote
Well it's a dungeon crawler. Half the !@#$ you find is going to be rotten, broken crap. Sifting through loot is kind of a thematic staple in this genre :D
Reply Quote
I don't know if yall remember Diablo 2, but in Diablo 2 there were still tons of common items that weren't worth using, but they were at least worth the effort of dragging each item to sell.

If you wanted to make lots of gold for gambling in Diablo 2, you could grab every item you found, TP back every time your inventory filled up, and sell the greys for a good profit.

In Diablo 3, my point is that it isn't even worth picking the greys up to sell because you could literally make more money killing monsters - even in just the amount of time it takes you walk to the merchant and sell your greys.

My solution would be to raise the % of the item's value it sells for. Instead of Act 4 Normal common items selling for 4-10 gold, they would sell for 50-250 for example.
Reply Quote
Perhaps you guys are missing the point of the drop process.

With the ability to enhance magic drop % you can't ever enhance 0% with a multiplier.

So as long as you drop crap, your multiplier can help convert that to a better drop before you see the item.

This has been my understanding playing so far. Perhaps you need to invest in some gear to help your modifier out.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Obsolescence
I don't know if yall remember Diablo 2, but in Diablo 2 there were still tons of common items that weren't worth using, but they were at least worth the effort of dragging each item to sell.

I had a different experience. Blues and up were always much more valuable. Get some MF and keep moving.
Reply Quote

I had a different experience. Blues and up were always much more valuable. Get some MF and keep moving.
I think you are missing the point. I'm not saying that greys were valuable in Diablo 2, just that they were valuable enough to be worth the physical process of dragging to item to a merchant.

In Diablo 3, you only get 2-10 gold per grey in Act 4 Normal. In Diablo 2, those items would have been worth 50-750 gold per grey. What reason was there to obliterate the value of the most common drop rendering it not even worth the effort to sell.
Edited by Irreverent1#1481 on 5/16/2012 6:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There have been two instances where I used a common item. At the start of the game, and once in act two when I found a bow with great base damage. After those, none at all. I wasted some time making portals back to town to sell common items, but have stopped that as you don't even get 100 gold from selling them, and if you don't pick them up at all and kill a few more monsters you get more than a 100 gold...

Earlier in the beta you could scrap common items (in your inventory even, didn't have to run back to blacksmith) for crafting essences... But they were so abundant that crafting was too easy. Now they have no practicality...
Reply Quote
Yeah what they should have done is include an enchanter in town.... (so you could turn your common items into magics/rares etc)
I heard that they were going to include a weapon enchanter pre-release, and am a bit confused as to why end up not including one.
This would would have at least made practical to seek out and pick up high level common items . I hope that they will add an enchanter to future patchs/updates!
Edited by RebornSavior#1271 on 5/16/2012 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
if you picked up non magic items in diablo 2, you were doing something wrong
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 08:14 PMPosted by RedRain

But if you did pick up the grey items they at least sold for something worthwhile. An inventory full of grey items in D3 will fetch you 50-300 gold, and it doesn't appear to make any difference what Act or difficulty you're playing. They aren't even worth picking up, which means they serve no other purpose than to waste your time if you are unfortunate enough to miss-click one.

If they just raised the selling prices on greys they might be worthwhile. I don't think the game is enhanced by the most common drop having no value and serving no function.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 08:14 PMPosted by RedRain

if your saying that you obviously didnt even play the game
armours alone were worth 35k in gold yet gold wasnt really worth anything as currency

as for op i do believe that blizz did it like that to keep the IGG as the currency other than the ppl who waste hundreds of real money on the auction house
Reply Quote
If they are in fact intended to be worthless (which I doubt is how Blizzard would describe it), then why even have them in the game?

Whites/greys make up 80%+ of all drops, but have no value when sold and offer no other function. Why did they even bother putting whites/greys in the game if they aren't intended to have any value or serve any function.

They might as well have included an item called "Trash" and had it drop several times per encounter. "Trash" sells for between 4-10 gold, doesn't stack, and has no other function except to take up space in your inventory - forcing you hassle with it. This may seem like an absurd idea, but it is identical to the state of common items in D3.

Aha this is a great analogy, well done. The only thing I am thinking is if there might be some extra things you can do with white or grey items that you can't with blue/yellow, like perhaps they made socketing work better with whites, but this is just speculation as I haven't gotten that far yet.
Edited by XenoX#6188 on 5/16/2012 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hmm I tend to pick up white and higher items. Take quite some time to fill my bag, and I also seem to be make a pretty decent amount of gold.

So i would disagree with them not being worth the time to sell them.
Reply Quote
hmm I tend to pick up white and higher items. Take quite some time to fill my bag, and I also seem to be make a pretty decent amount of gold.

So i would disagree with them not being worth the time to sell them.

Have you actually looked at the prices? I've only seen 2-9 gold/grey through Act 1 NM. I could see you making an argument for selling them in Act 1 on your first character, pre-cathedral. After that, you could make more gold by killing another set of mobs, rather than taking the time to go and sell 2-9 gp items.

While leveling it becomes true that selling the items in your pack nets you less money than killing another set of mobs. If this is the case then it means the great majority of item drops have negative value, because there is no efficient method to get rid of them. You either waste time selling them for nothing instead of just killing more mobs, or you waste time being careful about what you pick up, and even if you spend time being careful you still end up with several from miss-clicks which you then either have to sell for nothing or throw away.
Edited by Irreverent1#1481 on 5/16/2012 10:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
it has to do with MAGIC FIND,

i.e. each of those worthless items has a chance to be blue/yellow etc. your MF % increases that chance. i think the game first figures out that an item type has dropped, then rolls a dice to decide its rarity. The game just doesnt bother removing the white ones because thats the tradition of the diablo series (in D1 you would use a few whites in the first couple lvls)
Reply Quote

i.e. each of those worthless items has a chance to be blue/yellow etc. your MF % increases that chance. i think the game first figures out that an item type has dropped, then rolls a dice to decide its rarity. The game just doesnt bother removing the white ones because thats the tradition of the diablo series (in D1 you would use a few whites in the first couple lvls)

A good point and quite possibly the reason for it after all. Maybe white items need to have semi-transparent item labels so that they aren't as intrusive, I think this is the biggest issue with them being pointless, in that not only are they pointless but they are actually obtrusive as well.
Edited by XenoX#6188 on 5/17/2012 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I'm not sure if people just aren't reading or if I'm not being clear in my point.

I'm not saying that whites/greys dropping in a Diablo game is stupid. I'm saying that if they drop they should at least be worth the effort of dragging them back to town to sell.

Right now they only sell for 4-10 gold per item which is basically worthless and not in keeping with the tradition of Diablo where white/grey items always sold for a reasonable amount. Currently, grey/white items serve as a mines to be deftly avoided as you pick out blues and other useful drops. Why not up the amount whites/greys sell for and then they would at least be worth the effort of taking back to town to sell.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]