Diablo® III

COMMON ITEMS HAVE NO VALUE & SERVE NO PURPOSE

05/17/2012 06:43 PMPosted by Atmospheric
It seems pretty simple as to why these do not give you any gold... business. The less gold/more uses for your gold is a way of limiting how much you get which is an indirect encouragement towards the RMAH.

If everyone gets a proportional increase to their income that shouldn't affect the economy in a very meaningful way because it would simply devalue the Gold unit of currency for everyone.

Although, they don't even need to increase the amount of gold people are receiving. Just reduce the gold players get from monsters dropping gold by X% and then increase the value of the average common drops to balance out the value lost in gold drops. Same income, and common items have value again, making them valuable but still useless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To get rid of white items they would have to completely retool and recode how magic find works. Maybe they will change it eventually in a a content patch, but personally I'd rather see development time spent on adding pvp, RMAH, new uniques, monster, quests, etc.

As for why magic find is set up the way it is, I believe white items were originally going to be part of crafting. That idea got scrapped though, probably at a point too late in development to rewrite all the code.

As for increasing the vendor value of whites, I'd rather they didn't. Going back to town every few minutes to maximize gold per hour would not add to the fun of the game in my opinion. It really cuts into immersion and stress relieving slaughter.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Obsolescence
It seems pretty simple as to why these do not give you any gold... business. The less gold/more uses for your gold is a way of limiting how much you get which is an indirect encouragement towards the RMAH.

If everyone gets a proportional increase to their income that shouldn't affect the economy in a very meaningful way because it would simply devalue the Gold unit of currency for everyone.

Although, they don't even need to increase the amount of gold people are receiving. Just reduce the gold players get from monsters dropping gold by X% and then increase the value of the average common drops to balance out the value lost in gold drops. Same income, and common items have value again, making them valuable but still useless.

...Or they could leave common/dilapidated items the way they are instead of doing something so redundant. I'm a loot !@#$% not a hoarder.
Reply Quote
one thing that this missing from the blacksmith is Imbue. Should be able to place a normal item and upgrade it to a Rare. You could even make them drop as plans.
Reply Quote
Excelent idea!

In D2 you could only imbue white items and sometimes a superior white item could be an extraordinary base for a very good rare.
Reply Quote
what bugs me the most is seeing all those white trash on the floor.

i think the prices for the trash items are fine. trashes are meant to be worthless, and why would vendors wanna buy a white gear for 35k when they would only pay you few grand for a yellow? if raising price doesnt affect the economy, than all you get from raising the sell value is just a larger amount of gold, so why bother?

trash item are annoying because they are everywhere, not because they have no value. so an option to avoid those items show up on the screen would be nice. or a way to use those gears, enchanting white gear into blue gear seems fun, dunno why they didnt go through with that...

and they have to make it so we can tell trash gears and them gems and forge/jewel papers apart...
Reply Quote
I think they have set the value low at the start, so they don't stuff up the ah.
after the ah settles down they might increase the price to like 50% of market value or something like that
Reply Quote
Did everyone forget about the Horadric Malus quest in act 1 Diablo 2?

Or how about Seige of Horrogath, with the reward being sockets in an item?

Consider that those both gave incentive to have whites in the game. The former because it let you make a rare item, and the latter because it allowed the creation of strong base items to be socketed into runewords.

Even though it was only good for 6 items total per character, it was still a really interesting way to make whites relevant. There is NOTHING like that in Diablo 3.

(heck, quests in diablo 3 in general have crappier rewards. No skill training rewards, no scroll of resistance, no potion of vitality.... just EXP GOLD EXP GOLD EXP GOLD. But thats for another thread)
Reply Quote
Obsolescence it appears your only beef is that the items aren't worth more and that they appear useless to you. Clearly you've never played a loot based game before. Magical items and beyond gain their value in part because you have a million crappy pieces of gear to compare it too. Just as good only exists with evil as a comparison so to must !@#$ty gear be there for good gear to have its value justified. Also as has been covered here the excessive value of the lowest tear items is largely to blame for gold having no value in d2 which i'm quite glad to see fixed in D3. This entire thread has basically degenerated into you simply whining about the items being there, and you've jumped from reason to reason in attempts to justify that complaint.

So in short...
These games are going to have tons of crappy loot in addition to a handful of worthwhile gear. This isn't new for the genre. Please get used to it.
Reply Quote
23 Orc Shaman
????

If they are not worth your time then don't pick them up. Not everything in a game needs a monetary purpose. They serve an aesthetic purpose and that's fine enough.
Reply Quote
Support this thread!
Reply Quote
that's the point. . .
Reply Quote
From what I understand about the magic find system, the only real purpose of white items after level 5 is just to have the chance for the white item to be made into a blue or higher item. So in that case i'm more disappointed that all my white items did not pop out legendary since they all have the ability to do so. :P

Either way they don't bother me in game at all, I do a pretty good job of distinguished them from gems and other items, and rarely pick one up and if i do i drop it. It's not all that big of a hassle so I don't see why fix a system that is not game breaking, unless your OCD and can't manage to leave one thing on the ground, in that case that person has the right to complain since it will take them 20 hours to get through act 1 normal. :)

As for a higher gold value, it would be pointless since than your inventory will be full every 5 minutes, and if i get stuck in a party with a guy that will want to collect the now somewhat valuable white items and has to teleport to town every 5 minutes than I will have no more hair left. :S
Reply Quote
3 truths about why commons are worthless and why it is a good thing.

1. without the commons you wouldn't have any un-commons, rares, or legendary items. they are there simply as a placeholder, when you see some crappy glove drop you just got unlucky that it wasn't a better item.

2. In d2 gold had no value, it is not in the interest of anyone to have gold readily available. One easy way for them to curb this was to nerf the value of USELESS ITEMS.

3. Since they are of no value you get to ignore them and move on to what you should be doing anyways. which is? KILLING ENEMIES! why would anyone want to run around picking up useless crap anyway? to get a few extra bucks? That is boring... and completely off track with the goal of the game.

I really don't understand why so many people have a problem with this concept...
Reply Quote
@sevink
why is it that a white sword that has 10dps is worth(50 times more) more than a sword that has 7.2dps + 1-2fire damage? which one are you going to use?

1.you can still have rares without white, magics are neither white nor rare.
2. so the problem was that whites in d2 were over valued, that doesn't mean the should be worth nothing.
3.the "to get a few bucks?" is the part the this thread objects to.

i think its stupid that the value of an item is based just on what class is in, instead of how good the weapon is.
All items should be sold at a merchant at 50%(or something) of current market value.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Obsolescence
Change the color of common items so that we can visually distinguish between them and potions, gems, etc.
the ability to read at a fairly decent pace has served me well in this category.
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Polishmerc
As for a higher gold value, it would be pointless since than your inventory will be full every 5 minutes, and if i get stuck in a party with a guy that will want to collect the now somewhat valuable white items and has to teleport to town every 5 minutes than I will have no more hair left. :S

I can see your point against changing the value of white items, but then why not at least let players filter out what items they can pick up or include some way to sell/stack/dismantle white items in the inventory page so white items don't remain valueless and obtrusive.
Reply Quote
wow players trying to turn diablo into wow
Reply Quote
Id like a mod/option that just makes normal drops invisible to me. literally worthless. wouldnt mind not even seeing them.

ever.
Reply Quote
Blizzard can solve this if we can upgrade common items like "Torchlight". Cuz only magical & rare are even worth picking up. In older Diablo 2. It was worth it later in acts to pick up say a common scimitar or bastard sword just for the dps, compared to ealy game rare weapon. Now it's not the case. Mid game weapons say level 30+ rare are kept until level 45+ rare replaces them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]