Diablo® III

COMMON ITEMS HAVE NO VALUE & SERVE NO PURPOSE

90 Human Warrior
Programming 101 would tell you that they in fact do serve a purpose. I'll let you figure it out.
Reply Quote
Not being able to remove whites because of the way magic find is programmed is just not true.
Nothing would stop the item-generation-algorithm from removing the remaining whites after magic find has been factored in.

To the rest of the topic: I agree that whites are not worth picking up at all and are just wasting screen space while looting.
Reply Quote
Gold always was worthless in d2, the fact they made white/useless items worth less than 300 gold should be a proof of their good faith in blizzard trying to establish a relatively stable and sustainable virtual economy. 15% auction tax should be sufficient to remove the excess gold produced by the game while making sure players will get the loot they deserve for their relative playtime

I think this thread should be locked, i feel like the people complaining about white/low quality items dropping is because they are impotent and frustrated they can't trade useless stuff for valueable stuff.
Reply Quote
The White items are meaningful as the blue/rare items are a chance off of these items. Every white item you see was the 99% chance, the 1% chance would have been that same white item, except a rare/magic.

They need to be there to maintain the randomness of loot drop. It would not be very exciting if only blue/rares dropped would it...even if the frequency was the same.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 05:12 AMPosted by Romer
wow players trying to turn diablo into wow

I only played WoW before any of the expansions came out and I spent far more time playing Diablo 2 than I have any of Blizzard's other classics. Also, if you are worried about people turning Diablo into WoW - look no further than the developers, who have done a bang up job already if you hadn't noticed.

05/19/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Neb
Programming 101 would tell you that they in fact do serve a purpose. I'll let you figure it out.

I took 2 years of programming, covering the content of Programming 101 and 102, and never once did they explain why Diablo 3 requires white items to drop. I guess that's what I get for trusting the public education system, amirite?

Gold always was worthless in d2, the fact they made white/useless items worth less than 300 gold should be a proof of their good faith in blizzard trying to establish a relatively stable and sustainable virtual economy. 15% auction tax should be sufficient to remove the excess gold produced by the game while making sure players will get the loot they deserve for their relative playtime

I think this thread should be locked, i feel like the people complaining about white/low quality items dropping is because they are impotent and frustrated they can't trade useless stuff for valueable stuff.

If killing a monster typically drops 95 gold and a white item worth 5 gold, why should it make any difference if they changed the gold drop to 80 and made the white item sell for 20? You get 100 gold from the monster either way. Changing the system simply makes white items worth picking up and selling, rather than just being purposeless clutter on the ground or in your inventory. People who don't want to pick the white items up still don't need to, but at least there would be a logical reason why they exist at all.

Or they could allow people to toggle seeing white items.

Or they could allow you to sell or deconstruct white items from your inventory so they stack as they used to do in the beta.

@your mini-rant, I think you should be locked for not reading the OP and then attacking the virility of people who just want to point out a poor game design choice on Blizzard's part in a very constructive manner.
Edited by Irreverent1#1481 on 5/19/2012 6:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah what they should have done is include an enchanter in town.... (so you could turn your common items into magics/rares etc)
I heard that they were going to include a weapon enchanter pre-release, and am a bit confused as to why end up not including one.
This would would have at least made practical to seek out and pick up high level common items . I hope that they will add an enchanter to future patchs/updates!

Maybe they are saving it for the D3 expansion...

Allow players to select what quality and type of items they want to automatically pick up or they could allow people to toggle seeing white items.

Yes that would be extremely helpful because i subconsciously pick up whites or grays and i need to consentrate hard to not clicking on them in the heat of battle... ;(

After that, you could make more gold by killing another set of mobs, rather than taking the time to go and sell 2-9 gp items.

Yah i second that coz i i'm a level 46 Barbarian and most of the enemies i kill drop 50-400~Gold from each gold-drop

and a huge mob + Threatening Shout(Grim Harvest) + Whirlwind(Wind Shear) + 50-60% gold/magic find = Instant win $$$ ;]
Edited by GrandAndreas#2916 on 5/20/2012 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't know if yall remember Diablo 2, but in Diablo 2 there were still tons of common items that weren't worth using, but they were at least worth the effort of dragging each item to sell.

If you wanted to make lots of gold for gambling in Diablo 2, you could grab every item you found, TP back every time your inventory filled up, and sell the greys for a good profit.

In Diablo 3, my point is that it isn't even worth picking the greys up to sell because you could literally make more money killing monsters - even in just the amount of time it takes you walk to the merchant and sell your greys.

My solution would be to raise the % of the item's value it sells for. Instead of Act 4 Normal common items selling for 4-10 gold, they would sell for 50-250 for example.

Actually in D2 the elemental potions like fire and acid sold well as a noob character. And i always checked gray/junk quality wands and staves because many of them had +properties that sold for the gold cap right the way through to act 5.

I'd also like to further add that during Blizzon events they kept talking about how they wanted the action to be smooth and fluent, which was the reason behind the health orb mechanic to begin with.

The current junk/trash is kind of damaging to that concept. Unless you consider having to stop from time to time to throw away the trash you accidently picked up after a while fluent and smooth.
Edited by Ell#1922 on 5/20/2012 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
If they are in fact intended to be worthless (which I doubt is how Blizzard would describe it), then why even have them in the game?

Blizzard DID intend this. Jay Wilson stated in a previous interview that common items are to be ignored and are worthless. They are there as drops so that you get the "loot confetti" experience and so that items seem to drop more often. This is no different from D2 and will not change so get over it. In fact this is no different from ANY ARPG or MMO out there. The bottom tear is not worth the time to pick up.
Reply Quote
They serve to give you an idea of whats dropping. Base items have potential for magic rares and uniques. If you see a particular base item dropping in an area you can know there is possiblility for a particular item. There is also no telling what purpose they may serve in the future, like socket etheral items, base items for crafting, runewords or whatever gets cooked up in the future. IF they didnt have base items dropping, why not have it one step further and eliminate drops all together, and autoloot directly into your inventory or auto salvage everything directly into a currentcy list.

It is the way it is because it is, you do not need to know why, only that it is the way it is.
Reply Quote
keep in mind that in Diablo 2 gold was also worthless as currency

Blizzard is probably attempting to prevent gold from inflating.
Reply Quote
I know in diablo 2 certain items were worth more says an armor (36000) vs some bootys of the same quality (400) has anyone found that certain items are worth more???
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/16/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Ballmangler
They're intended to be worthless. You're not supposed to pick them up or care about them. It's not that hard to skip over them.
This. It was the same in Diablo II. At later levels, once you were farming, blues weren't even worth the time. :/

A means to get rid of them from your inventory might not be bad, but making them worthwhile is a terrible idea. That's just going to lead to portaling back to town a lot more often.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/20/2012 10:02 AMPosted by ALMarshun
In fact this is no different from ANY ARPG or MMO out there. The bottom tear is not worth the time to pick up.
This is not true of WoW... The bottom tier at higher levels, especially weapons, sell for more than the mobs drop often enough.

Just a little nitpick. :/
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Sváfa
In fact this is no different from ANY ARPG or MMO out there. The bottom tear is not worth the time to pick up.
This is not true of WoW... The bottom tier at higher levels, especially weapons, sell for more than the mobs drop often enough.

Just a little nitpick. :/

Exactly. In almost all RPGs, the items that monsters drop are actually worth a significant, if not greater, portion than the direct money drop. This is why players actually pick the loot up and sell it. If 95% of a mobs value drops as direct currency, why would anyone - in any game - bother to go through the trouble of picking up and selling the items when they make up such a small portion of the value.

Diablo 3 has made this specific error. They put common loot in the game but didn't give it enough value to function like loot. If you're concerned about gold inflation, just reduce the average drop value in proportion to the increase in avg items value.

How does letting me disable seeing it affect anyone else enjoying all of the "confetti"?

How does giving it more value while reducing gold drops change the economy?

How does letting me sell it from my inventory ruin anyone's fun?

It won't.
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Warrior
The problem with making the white items worth something at the cost of gold drops is that it turns scavenging runs into part of the game.

If you want to be able to level your blacksmith/jeweler or buy something in the AH, we better hope that you enjoy bringing craploads of trash back to the vendors! Oh wait, you don't? It's a meaningless grind? Maybe not.

And yep, it's better that it drops because it makes the loot process a bit more exciting. Oh, something dropped! But is it any good? Anticipation...

But I do support the idea of being able to filter it out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]