Diablo® III

COMMON ITEMS HAVE NO VALUE & SERVE NO PURPOSE

Because people like to see things fly from corpses...It makes it more appealing then killing someone and being like "Oh...Nothing dropped, That's stupid" Instead you get to make a choice between wasting inventory space or picking up a white item worth 4 gold.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Stora
If you want to be able to level your blacksmith/jeweler or buy something in the AH, we better hope that you enjoy bringing craploads of trash back to the vendors

Personally, I'd prefer being able to be able to sell white from the inventory, or allow people to dismantle whites into a stack-able item you can sell at your leisure.
Reply Quote
I think they should make whites salvageable and incorporate them into crafting and get rid of the gold requirement to craft. Otherwise, I will just continue to leave em on the ground, its not that difficult.
Edited by Misdirected#1982 on 5/20/2012 6:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Warrior
05/20/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Obsolescence
If you want to be able to level your blacksmith/jeweler or buy something in the AH, we better hope that you enjoy bringing craploads of trash back to the vendors

Personally, I'd prefer being able to be able to sell white from the inventory, or allow people to dismantle whites into a stack-able item you can sell at your leisure.

How is that anything but a pointless grind? Even if you don't have to go back to town, how is the game more enjoyable if every 5-10 minutes you have to open up your inventory, click on a button then on 80% of the items on it rather than just running over the gold piles as it is now?

Grey/White items need to be decorations and nothing else. But the useful plain items should be another color.
Reply Quote
Common items were worth something in d2 because of ethereal and runewords. You could make an eth fort out of a high defense armor and give it to your merc. You wanted an eth weapon with 6 sockets to make your breath of the dieing. A normal piece of equipment with the right amount of def/atk and requirements could be worth more than an ist.

D3 doesn't have enough sockets to make runewords work right now (max 3?), so they kind of screwed themselves out of that upgrade possibility. Not to mention that sockets are a magical property.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/20/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Obsolescence
Exactly. In almost all RPGs, the items that monsters drop are actually worth a significant, if not greater, portion than the direct money drop. This is why players actually pick the loot up and sell it. If 95% of a mobs value drops as direct currency, why would anyone - in any game - bother to go through the trouble of picking up and selling the items when they make up such a small portion of the value.
Diablo III's model is based on the previous Diablo games. Thus, you get this.
Diablo 3 has made this specific error. They put common loot in the game but didn't give it enough value to function like loot. If you're concerned about gold inflation, just reduce the average drop value in proportion to the increase in avg items value.
It's not an error, so much as a different opinion. You can ignore it or grab all of it.
How does letting me disable seeing it affect anyone else enjoying all of the "confetti"?
It doesn't really. I'm not opposed to implementing that idea, though it should be strictly a visual setting and no changes to the loot occur. Of course, this does mean a lot of the mobs you kill will drop nothing. :/
How does giving it more value while reducing gold drops change the economy?
The economy? Not so much. The gameplay, a great deal. If they increase the value of these items and decrease gold drops to compensate, then players will find themselves being required to pick up five to ten times as much loot just to have the amount of gold expected of them. That's a very bad change, I think. It means you're portaling back to town to vendor items every few waves of mobs. I'd rather ignore most of the items and only go back after bosses, like I do currently.
How does letting me sell it from my inventory ruin anyone's fun?
Not a bad idea, and I think probably the best one.
Edited by Svafa#1909 on 5/20/2012 8:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Stora
Grey/White items need to be decorations and nothing else. But the useful plain items should be another color.

If they are supposed to be decorations than why should they even bother letting me pick them up? For realism? If they truly don't even intend for them to be sold or used then why pester the player with having to click around them on the ground or having to sell or manage them in their inventory?
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Sváfa
It doesn't really. I'm not opposed to implementing that idea, though it should be strictly a visual setting and no changes to the loot occur. Of course, this does mean a lot of the mobs you kill will drop nothing. :/

I wouldn't mind if they didn't drop anything most of the time. If they aren't going to be dropping something worth selling or using then why bother drop anything at all. They may as well have renamed all of the white items "Confetti" since that appears to be all they were intended for.

Also, why does everyone assume that the generation of white items is somehow critical to the item generation system as a whole? It would only take a small edit to the code to have the item labels either not show up or show up but not be click-able for white items.
Reply Quote
I like the idea of having a enchanter artisan that can convert whites to magic weapons, just like using the horadric malus in d2. That way something like a masterwork white weapon has the potential to be useful.
Reply Quote
I didn't read every post but the developers actually took out the grey items and under in a certain build. They said it was weird and it looked like there wasn't enough stuff dropping.

It was in an interview i read before launch, might have been that Q and A one.
Reply Quote
Ok, so this guy makes a very valid point; Whites/grays are really annoying. But there is one thing I keep seeing getting tossed back and forth. Do they serve a purpose? Yes. It's to fill that void between no drops and blue+. If you take a step back and really look at the broad picture, whites/grays are necessary in the way that if they were not there, you wouldn't have anything to look at after wiping out mobs because picking up blues+ is already going to be automatic for you. But there is one portion I do agree with, and that is the obvious solution to everyones problem: Change the color of these filler items to distinguish between pots, gems and other valuables. If you are the kinda person that likes to clear the ground and scrounge up all the gold you can possibly collect, so be it, your filler items will be there. But at the same time, if you are like me, you can just visually see those filler items, and completely overlook then without having the chance of missing out on other valuables.
Reply Quote
its good they have whites. newbs tend to pick em up making that dash to pick up the yellow item after a champion or boss.
Reply Quote
Half the people in this thread are missing the point. The OP is exactly right -- white drops are needed, and the fact that they drop, and all the time, is OK. What's not right is that they aren't even worth keeping in your inventory period. In beta they salvaged into mats. In other games, trash drops are at the very least worth vendoring. In Diablo 3, they are under no circumstances worth even picking up.

The issue is that we WANT to pick them up, because picking up stuff in Diablo 3 is simply fun. Vendoring items is fun on a very basic level. But picking and choosing what items you pick up, and then tossing them away half way through the dungeon because it's not even worth porting to town over, THAT'S not fun.

The OPs idea to decrease gold drops for monsters who drop whites is perfect. Make common items vendor for 20-30 gold each, and then drop 20-30 less gold than normal. Solve the entire problem at once. There are far more creative ways than this, like using them as mats for crafting, or turning them into side objectives or something, but this change is a flip of a switch, and needs to be done very badly.
Reply Quote
Vote for AUTO PICK UP BLUE+ AND ALL POTION AND GEM

SHOULD HAVE THIS AS AN OPTIONS!

TICK TICK TICK!
Reply Quote
1st post on diablo forums...

wtf is your problem? just don't click the white items...surprised to see people !@#$%ing about this on the internet. oh no you have to pay attention to what you loot....
Reply Quote
I'd like to see at least some purpose to white items.

For example, how about a Legendary item affix "Transmutation" that has a chance to turn white items into gold, health globes, or gems.

Create some quality system simlar to D2 and let them be used in crafting Legendaries.

Honestly though, we need more diversity in rares in Legendaries. I'd rather see energy being spent in improving itemization by giving us better affixes as opposed to worrying about whites.

I'm fine with them being confetti as of now.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 02:03 AMPosted by DizZieJay
Do they serve a purpose? Yes. It's to fill that void between no drops and blue+. If you take a step back and really look at the broad picture, whites/grays are necessary in the way that if they were not there, you wouldn't have anything to look at after wiping out mobs because picking up blues+ is already going to be automatic for you.

If we agree that these items aren't worth picking up then why does it matter whether they drop or not? If Blizzard renamed all white/grey items "Confetti" would you still feel they were necessary? In my opinion, if it is true that these items shouldn't even be picked up, then why even have them in the game for people to stumble over.

05/21/2012 02:03 AMPosted by DizZieJay
If you are the kinda person that likes to clear the ground and scrounge up all the gold you can possibly collect, so be it, your filler items will be there. But at the same time, if you are like me, you can just visually see those filler items, and completely overlook then without having the chance of missing out on other valuables.

I think you are under the illusion that picking up white/grey items has any value. Actually, if you can make more gold killing monsters in the time it takes to sell your white/grey items, then you actually lose gold by picking them up and selling them. So, it follows that someone who picks these items up isn't actually scrounging up all the gold they can collect, but rather they are making a natural mistake because they don't realize the amount of gold they lose by interacting with these items is greater than the gold they generate.

1st post on diablo forums...

wtf is your problem? just don't click the white items...surprised to see people !@#$%ing about this on the internet. oh no you have to pay attention to what you loot....

Welcome to the Diablo 3 forums. My problem is that I hold Blizzard to standards of game design which they ordinarily surpass with ease, but in the case of white/grey items they have designed a system which is not only counter-intuitive, but completely senseless.

How many people do you think even realize that after late Act 1 Normal on your first character, you actually lose money when you purposely or accidentally pick up white/grey items? If people naturally expect that items which drop from monsters should be worth picking up, then why shouldn't they be? We've already established that there are a variety of ways they could remedy this issue without affecting the economy, value of gold currency, or people who don't want to pick up white items regardless of their value.

Do people just hate change? Do they just hate people who care about game design? I didn't realize just how many people would bother to post on this thread just to hate on me because I thought this was an issue worth mentioning - that 80% of the items that drop in this game actually lose you gold if you purposely or accidentally pick them up.
Reply Quote

Do people just hate change? Do they just hate people who care about game design? I didn't realize just how many people would bother to post on this thread just to hate on me because I thought this was an issue worth mentioning - that 80% of the items that drop in this game actually lose you gold if you purposely or accidentally pick them up.

Don't worry man, you are correct. This is not a difference in opinion, as some people have indicated. It IS actively worse to pick up common items than to avoid them, and it IS bad game design. There are entire textbooks written on the subject (see Fundamentals of Game Design, by Ernest Adams - which specifically mentions Diablo throughout). Just because a game has design flaws doesn't mean it isn't a good game though. Every game has flaws.

What you might be able to argue (though I would disagree) is that it is more "fun" than not to include this particular design flaw, and that's what Blizzard may have found to be the case for the majority of players during testing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]