Diablo® III

Gforce GTS250 Black screen (Solution!)

Well Tybudd, I don't know if it made a difference, but I also capped my FPS at 75 or so. I played 6 hours straight yesterday with only 1 black screen issue (was getting them every 5-10 minutes before I did this). I've also read that some people had to up the fan speed/cooling to 100% in conjunction to help with this.

EDIT: I'm playing with the GTS250, and everything set to highest settings (Except clutter and shadows both at medium) @ 1680x1050 (16:10). If you want to test it, you could set up the NVIDIA system monitoring to show your GPU temp and cooling speed to see if possibly the GPU is getting too hot to run the game for too long?
Edited by Baughb#1431 on 5/20/2012 11:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am having the same issue as everyone else who has an above-minimum-requirements machine. I even tried swapping out my card with my son's (who is playing the game without issue and has beaten it in normal mode already on a much lower-end machine than mine), but the issue is still present. I personally think, the code was not optimized for higher-end machines and there is too much processing being pushed on the graphics card. If I set the card's fan to 100%, take of the side panels, put an external house fan directly facing the card, and then dumb down the FPS to under 80, I can play the game for a couple hours. If my card gets above 52-53 degrees (C), it craps out.

My machine:
- Intel C2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz
- Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX
-4GB Corsair RAM

It would be nice if Blizzard at least acknowledged the issue and said they were working on a patch. Very frustrating.
Reply Quote
Okey. I am done all this things and could launch D3 on maximum resolution with all max settings and 100 fps stable. But fps moves down to 10-12 after 1-2 hours playing. Then I am check gpu monitor and i saw that all frequencyes moves down from 700/1700/1100 MHz to 300/600/100 MHz. Restarting game or launching other games dont helping. Only reboot PC. After reboot i can play 1 hour and all again. So WTF with this videocard/drivers/game/pc/etc ?!?!?!
p.s. sorry for my horrible english.
Reply Quote
Hey YAD, I was having a similar issue.

As well as underclocking my GPU, I limited my FPS to 75 (still looks perfect in-game anyway), and checked "Disable desktop composition" under the compatibility tab for my D3 shortcut.

Without doing this last step, my FPS drops to 8-10 and only returns upon reboot.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice... Can we still run it at maximum resolutuion if we underclock the card?
Reply Quote
Nice.

This seems to help.

Only got one black screen =)
Reply Quote
Ok so I found a solution that seemed to work for me so far. I have a decent quad-core processor with 6 gigs of DDR3 ram and an nvidia GTS250. I was running the game at 10 FPS with 2 people in the group on low settings -_-. I was pointed to this video by a friend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hwTPhjA6I Hope it works for all of you guys!
Reply Quote
For some reason it went back to factory setting and anytime I try and change it it says "the changes made are invalid and will not be applied"...
Reply Quote
What should the settings be set at for a gts250
Reply Quote
The problem seems to be with the G92 Family: Nvidia 8800[gs, gt, gts], 9800[gt, gtx, gtx+], 250gts. So if you have one those you might have problems with diablo 3. On my Nvidia XFX 250 gts i had black screens very often, and on my friends Nvidia XFX 9800gt, the game randomly suffer stutter causing fps drops.
Edited by Ásígan#2664 on 5/25/2012 4:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is ridiculous ..
It worked for me for a few days, but today the problem back ..
Every time I had black screens, and could barely play ...
Today it happened again, this time I couldn't ever go back
I have NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
Re-bumping this for anyone that still needs it, I finally ran into 3 black screens yesterday but not the game-killing ones noted by others. haven't had any more problems since then as of yet.

05/24/2012 01:36 AMPosted by Terror
What should the settings be set at for a gts250

For the GTS 250 drop all your clock settings from whatever they are at now to 50Mhz lower.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
05/22/2012 11:34 AMPosted by OldSchool
Thanks for the advice... Can we still run it at maximum resolutuion if we underclock the card?

Sadly I haven't been able to run max res even with an underclocked card =/.... 1280X720 is my max uninterrupted resolution kinda sucks but its playable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have the same problem but with a GTX670M graphics card...no driver available yet from Nvidia!
Reply Quote
No more blackscreens after underclocking everything by 30 mhz. It doesnt seem to matter how much you underclock, just that the system somehow recognize new values and working differently appearently.

Do suffer from random fps drops every 20-30 seconds and this seems to be dependant on the zone im in. It lags way more in areat crater then when im doing the towers for example. Also the lag in silver spires is less then the gardens in act4.

running gts 250 atm
Reply Quote
Cant we get a blue on this????

Every GPU feedback site says i bought a damn fast card, however ingame it runs like !@#$.

anyone?!
Reply Quote
This is still happening to me.

Has anyone found any other fixes?
Reply Quote
Thank you guys from Ukraine (Dnipropetrovsk)!!! Played 2 hours!!! no problem!!!
Reply Quote
try the fix. it works for me. playing for 4 hours non-stop without a black screen.

What i did is lower down the GPU Hz by 50. Able to play D3 with all high setting. Thank you so much!!
Reply Quote
Wait but if I underclock my card will i have problems in other games? It doesn't seem like a very good solution if you intend to play other stuff right?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]