Diablo® III

The story was very weak. This is why...

[Spoilers throughout] So did anyone else feel the story was incredibly weak? I did. I've really tried my best to take off my nostalgia goggles to try and see Diablo 2 for what it really was, and in my opinion the story was a heck of a lot better. It was dark, forboding, had characters you could relate with, and its twists a long the way.

One of the problems I had with the story in Diablo 3 was that none of the characters had any substance. Coming from Diablo 2, I was very keen to see who we would be fighting and why and how. However, I get given a one line dialogue "Oh yeah there's a couple of other lesser demons that we never really mentioned before, now they're up to mischief and you have to kill them". I haven't read the books, obviously, so hearing this was a pretty huge anti climax. Perhaps some better introduction? Oh Belial is attacking some city I've never heard of? Oh okay... Maybe a cut-scene near the beginning showing what was going on with these demons? The only time you saw them was when you were about to kill them. I had no vested interest in killing them other than that I'm supposed to. Boring.

This isnt even to mention all the other little mini-bosses who you never hear about until you are actually killing them. This is not how to create character.

Moreso, whenever a piece of the plot was 'resolved' or often told, the appropriate person would just appear next to you. "Oh hey Adria, you just appeared next to me through that portal you can happen to make anywhere you like"... "Oh hey spider lady, you just happen to appear next to me on your web out of nowhere... who are you again?" ... "Oh hey angel people, thanks for randomly appearing after everything is over to congratulate me, you know these teleporting abilities would have come in handy earlier".

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the storytelling in this game is quite amateur IMO. Not to mention the little pages you pick up here and there (which are often fine) until you find "Azmodans Orders part 1" on a demons body. Really? So demons from the buring depths of hell receive their orders on paper from their demon lord, in English (or can we understand Demonic?), telling them what to do. "Dear Salnexaam, I Azmodan your supreme ruler would appreciate it if you would smash a lot of stuff, and kill people if you see them in the keep, oh and watch out for that hero guy he seems troublesome. P.S. If you happen to kill him I'll buy you drinks tonight".

I know, I know, they're just trying to tell us whats up, and its just a game, but seriously things like that just feel so horribly childish to me.

Finally, the overwhelming OBVIOUSNESS of the story is shocking. From the start of the game everything is pointing at Leah being Diablo... "Leah has this crazy power that is getting more powerful, we won't explain what it is or why she has it", "Check out the DEMONIC LOOKING SPELL POWER that happens every time she uses her 'power'..." or my favourite was Kuul saying "Oh if only your friends knew what you really are". Seriously, its as bad as reading spoilers.

Honestly, I could go on for quite a while about all the things I thought were very poorly done, but I realise by now I'm probably ranting.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game, but was quite underwhelmed at a story that was 12 years? in the making.

EDIT: Oh oh oh, I just HAVE to mention this too. I fought Diablo on the 'arch' or whatever. I was on solid ground. I was not near a balcony or edge. He died, his body was still on the ground. Skip to cut scene, and hes falling through the air, and conveniently there goes his soulstone falling away. No, it should have been right there on the ground. This is shamelessly setting up for a sequel and it is bad.

Thoughts?
Edited by Wrath#1596 on 5/17/2012 9:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Shameless bump.
Reply Quote
73 Draenei Hunter
Looks like a lot of nit picking to me. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun game. Keep that in mind. it's a game, not a film or a book. You complain about demon orders being written on paper, but I see nothing about money exploding from rotten logs.
Reply Quote
the final act and cinematic was like watching a slow motion trainwreck
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 09:59 PMPosted by Amorcraft
Looks like a lot of nit picking to me. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun game. Keep that in mind. it's a game, not a film or a book. You complain about demon orders being written on paper, but I see nothing about money exploding from rotten logs.

Uh there is quite a big difference between a gameplay element and a storytelling element. I'm critiquing the story.

To follow you logic I could say, I really enjoyed the feel of the book, and had fun flipping through the pages, thus the story doesn't matter.

I thoroughly enjoy the gameplay and also found it 'fun'.
Edited by Wrath#1596 on 5/17/2012 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Human Mage
05/17/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Wrath
EDIT: Oh oh oh, I just HAVE to mention this too. I fought Diablo on the 'arch' or whatever. I was on solid ground. I was not near a balcony or edge. He died, his body was still on the ground. Skip to cut scene, and hes falling through the air, and conveniently there goes his soulstone falling away. No, it should have been right there on the ground. This is shamelessly setting up for a sequel and it is bad.

This point is easily explained. See in the game you may have fought him in the dentre. however, in the actual lore when you the hero slew DFiablo it may have been at the edge, thus allowing him to fall. ALSO he may have stumbled backwards and fallen off.

This is like complaing about the time that villains take to kill people in Bond flicks. obviously inr eal life Bond would have died many many times, but the villains love to be flamboyant with their deaths. but oyu know what? We still love it, because the only thing worse than the unrealistic escapes would be if he died.

SO yes, plot holes exist, but frankly, in fantasy worlds you just sometimes have to say a wizard did it.

And btw, I had no idea that Leah was Diablo. though it was obvious that Adria would betray them, especially since you got tha lore piece about magdha complaining about that other leader of the coven who left.
Reply Quote
I didn't really think the overall story was that horribly weak

But the ending was just so unsatisfying, it bothered me that we were supposed to consider that of all things a happy ending. The main NPCs are dead and we've just saved our enemies' lives, Adria gets away and nobody seems to give a damn about the dead female lead... it just feels like such a hollow victory, so unsatisfying to have so many lingering threads and I'm not really interested in waiting 3 years for the expansion. Though maybe it won't take as long as Heart of the Swarm since multiplayer doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Prunea
And btw, I had no idea that Leah was Diablo. though it was obvious that Adria would betray them, especially since you got tha lore piece about magdha complaining about that other leader of the coven who left.

The Adria betrayel is given away much earlier than that. When you go into Adria's basement you get that journal about how she knew what the wanderer was. Most people wouldn't look at someone and go "He looks like he has the lord of terror inside him, maybe I should see if he wants to knock me up." This is not a quality that gives me confidence in their loyalty.
Reply Quote
I do feel that the story was much weaker compared to D2 and by far not as dark as D1, but I don't think Blizzard could ever emulate the sheer horror that D1 presented, but they could have at least kept the overall tone of D3 as dark as D1 and D2, I feel the story is more WoWish than Diablo, which is bad, and I find the dialogue insincere and convoluted, Leah seemed more like a plot device than a developed character, and Deckard Cain was eliminated randomly like a "punk" without any sort of substance or merit, Tyrael's choice of becoming a mortal was also left in the dark (why couldn't he helped the heroes as an angel, why make himself weaker if he really wanted to help?) and the explanation on how the other evils ended up in the Black Soulstone was only a passing note and was never fully elaborated, I could go on and on with all the plot holes but I'll leave it at that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/17/2012 10:55 PMPosted by ApathyZer0

The Adria betrayel is given away much earlier than that. When you go into Adria's basement you get that journal about how she knew what the wanderer was. Most people wouldn't look at someone and go "He looks like he has the lord of terror inside him, maybe I should see if he wants to knock me up." This is not a quality that gives me confidence in their loyalty.

I was wondering about that.

Although In my case it's why would He .. you know... her of all people.
Reply Quote
I couldn't disagree more. I went back and played through D2 a few weeks ago to get a refresher on the story. Even after beating it, I'm not certain I really got much out of it. Basically Diablo wants to destroy the world. Oops, killed him, now Baal is on the loose and wants to corrupt Sanctuary with the Worldstone. There was even a scroll in D3 left by Deckard that literally sums up the previous game in about 2 sentences. You talk about the characters in D3 not having any substance. I'm not certain there was really any noteworthy interaction in D2 with anyone other than Deckard. In Diablo 3, you got to discover the inner quarrels of all 3 of your companions.. Or did you not bother to talk to anyone? Even the blacksmith and crazy jeweler have their own stories. There have got to be hundreds upon hundreds of more actual lines of dialogue in D3 than its predecessor. D3 cleared up all my confusions about the previous story and added heaps of new info. As for meaningless bestiary lore, think about the countless bosses in D2 that had absolutely 0 substance and were literally meant to be a temporary road block. Duriel wasn't explained. No one cared about Andariel, and Mephisto was basically just known as Diablo's brother. I'd rather get all the lore through ground drops than be left out completely. Infinitely more story-telling in this one. Perhaps D2 just had a lot of nostalgia for you.
Reply Quote
Not only did the characters lack depth, but they lacked resolution.

Some of you are going to say some of these things can be addressed in the Expansion, but man, some of these are just awful.

-Please, tell me, after Diablo takes Leah's body as a vessel and ports to the High Heavens, does Adria just go home and sleep off a hard day's work as the Dark Lord's wench? No mention AT ALL.

-Tyrael not even giving a foreboding or ominous message regarding the Black Soulstone plummeting towards Sanctuary? If the Soulstones could be broken as easily as dropping them from the High Heavens then we needn't had gone to the Hellforge to destroy the others.

-No sign of Imperius after slaying Diablo. Not even a "Good job... for a Nephalem."

-Eamon Haedrig NOT knowing what tomb his grandfather was buried in? Like c'mon, I know the maps are randomly generated and its a gameplay type of deal but gtfo. Seriously. "Lol, yeah man, my grandfather's tomb. Look for it yourself."

-It took the entire Horadric Mage Order to stop, decapitate, and seal of Zultan Kulle, but a random Wizard (or whatever class you played) can just stop him, who had probably grown in power since regaining his body just like that? I mean the dude was so badass that the Horadrim sealed his head in one tomb and his blood in two others! That's pretty badass!

-Imperius being willing to fight you at the steps of the Crystal Arch was very, very far fetched.
He's the Angel of Valor. Valor implies being able to recognize valor, much how Tyrael recognizes justice in the actions and deeds done by the hero. As such, did he not realize how utterly foolish it would have been to fight the hero AND THEN Diablo, after Diablo pretty much Solo'd the High Heavens?
Edited by BlitzComet#1635 on 5/18/2012 12:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/18/2012 12:17 AMPosted by BlitzComet
-It took the entire Horadric Mage Order to stop, decapitate, and seal of Zultan Kulle, but a random Wizard (or whatever class you played) can just stop him, who had probably grown in power since regaining his body just like that? I mean the dude was so badass that the Horadrim sealed his head in one tomb and his blood in two others! That's pretty badass!

A random wizard who is on her way to nearing Uldyssian in power by Act IV.
Reply Quote
+1.

I know that the original Diablo team left from Blizzard years ago, but come on ...
The story was simply HORRIBLE. Diablo is now just another fantasy game ... The ending was hilarious, we did not except that kind of thing. We are very far from D2.

When I played D1 for the first time, i had a feeling of something new, more biblical, not related with standard (or dark) fantasy. D2 came out, and it was good. The story telling was legendary, still biblical (less with LoD).

With D3, I had no fears, no anguish, the biblical side was completely removed from the lore. Deckard is another Yoda , Tyrael has no charisma, everything is predictible ...

Maybe (sorry for the actual team), it's time to call Bill Roper for the expansion ??
Edited by peha#2523 on 5/18/2012 12:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Wrath
Maybe a cut-scene near the beginning showing what was going on with these demons? The only time you saw them was when you were about to kill them.

Andariel was barely even mentioned by the Rogues and she had driven them from home.

Duriel wasn't talked about at ALL he was there when you reached Tal Rasha, you were late Tyrael tells you what happened you follow on to Kurast, no one talks about him ever again. It's more than consistent with Diablo II.
Reply Quote
At first I was kind of miffed because Azmodan is supposed to be this like big baddy 'take over hell' and you meet and kill him in one act. Then I realized this is exactly the same thing as Mephisto and got over it. The D3 ending still blows though. Completely utterly blows.
Reply Quote
Posted by peh

Maybe (sorry for the actual team), it's time to call Bill Roper for the expansion ??

You mean Bill Roper the founder of the game studio that created the epic fail Hellgate London?
Edited by Bfler#2867 on 5/18/2012 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]