Diablo® III

Cleave vs Frenzy/Bash

For trash mobs, why is Frenzy/Bash more preferred than Cleave with Rupture?
Reply Quote
I dunno, Im nearly done with act3 and I use cleave/rupture strictly until bosses.
then again im critting for 800 and i have 4000 health
Reply Quote
I used cleave with rupture for the beginning of normal...but stopped awhile ago, here's my reasons

1) in inferno, you are going to want to have 1 build and keep it. Switching builds resets your stacking mf/gf buff.
2) cleave isn't needed for trash. I just use groundstomp w/ the pull in rune & rend w/ blood lust and virtually every trash mob dies.

That combo means I can have bash w/ clobber for extra stuns on pita champ's/elites.
Reply Quote
Early on I liked cleave more. Especially with the rupture rune. I switched to Frenzy when it first became available and was a little underwhelmed by it. After a few levels I switched back to cleave and saw that now that I was in act 2 fighting harder mobs that it wasn't doing the damage I remembered from act 1.

Then I got the Triumph rune for Frenzy ie -
Killing an enemy with Frenzy heals you for 8% of your maximum Life over 6 seconds.

Now I haven't looked back. I am hitting mobs with frenzy and healing at the same time. Really amps up your tanking abilities.

For trash mobs (ie low health swarms) I think cleave w/rupture still does a great job, but for everything else it's frenzy all the way for me.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I just hit act 3

I run around with cleave/reaping swing and seismic slam/shattered ground, then swap to bash/punish and Hammer/Smash for bosses (well, for Belial, the first time I had to actually change up my skills)

But I like to AoE so... yeah. Can't comment if it's the best set up really, I want to sword and board and AoE hordes of mobs, so that's how I'm set up. I'm also playing on normal, so.... yeah.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info! Seems like there really is no cookie cutter for D3.

I'll try out the Frenzy/Triumph with Groundstomp and test out the dps difference.
Reply Quote
lvl 55 dual wield barb in act 2 hell,

i use frenzy because revenge is a good enough heal/aoe damager that i dont need aoe on my left click. (need the 30% proc rune for revenge to really be a reliable aoe ability)

another reason is Frenzy's stun rune, the bonus attack speed means it's practically a perma-stun on elite mobs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]