Diablo® III

[lore] what happens to humans when they die?

I finished diablo 3 and was having a discussion with my friend the other day and I came upon an interesting plot point I haven't seen addressed any where else.

From what I got from the in game explanation of the sin war and the like, basically heaven and hell are 2 real literal places, and sanctuary is a separate realm /dimension created to be shielded from both of them. Heaven and hell are just what humans call those different realms / dimensions essentially.

Now, playing the game we know that the dead can be brought back to life and that ghosts exist, and various other undead type things, I wondered, so what happens to a human soul when it dies? When I was playing the last act in heaven, you never see any humans around, nor mention of them ascending to heaven or anything like that. Even the immortal angels seems to lack a concept of an "afterlife", since why would they? They are supposed to be immortal and eternal after all.

So in terms of the game lore does anyone know what is the official response to a supposed afterlife, or what happens to a human, angel, or demon soul upon death in the world of sanctuary?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
They pass from this shadow world into Mbwiru Eikura - the unformed land.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)